Lost DOT Card

mrbrownstone

just for future reference, without a medical card you are NOT a dot commercial driver. this can be very very serious. if stopped you will be redtagged on the spot and HEAVILY fined with points on your license. you could LOSE your license. your vehicle could be TOWED and impounded.

if you get in an accident and cause injury and/or property damage without a medical card you could be ARRESTED and criminally charged and go to PRISON. UPS probably would FIRE you.

these are worse case scenarios and an EXPENSIVE lawyer "might" be able to help you. hopefully this will scare anyone from operating a commercial vehicle without a license and or a medical card in your possession.

I would ask a DOT officer at the scales if you can get by with a photocopy. not sure on that. I know the feere dept. keeps a copy and the doctor can give you an original. good excuse to take a day off.

Thanks for the input but here are a few things.

First, I don't drive feeders, I am a package car driver. Secondly, I lost my DOT card most likely close to when my shift was over. And finally, I know it is a serious issue not to have this while driving which is why I was so worried about getting another one. Also, I took it seriously enough to disregard my supervisor's advice on just getting a photo copy and drove to the doctor's office before my shift to get another original.

I mean no disrespect to your post but I was aware of the potential consequences and issues.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You only need a photocopy to drive. You also only need a photocopy to get your cdl at the dmv. No need to have original.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Thanks for the input but here are a few things.

First, I don't drive feeders, I am a package car driver. Secondly, I lost my DOT card most likely close to when my shift was over. And finally, I know it is a serious issue not to have this while driving which is why I was so worried about getting another one. Also, I took it seriously enough to disregard my supervisor's advice on just getting a photo copy and drove to the doctor's office before my shift to get another original.

I mean no disrespect to your post but I was aware of the potential consequences and issues.
my post for was everyones benefit. learned the hard way and learned never to trust management when it comes to info about my cdl and medical card. always go to the source, ie. the DMV and the DOT. it's your livelihood.

Nevermore1

Just reading this thread and maybe someone here with better knowledge can clarify the general requirement for carrying your DOT Med card. DOT's site is still stating that you need to carry it but some states are saying that you are not required to after 30 Jan 2015 since you must submit the card to the DMV in your state or the CDL portion of your license will be revoked. Has anyone heard anything on this?