Lost my Diad today

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Lots of mid range smartphones are in the $600 range. I imagine the V is easily more expensive.

Those so called smartphones cost a lot due to demand, not because of its cost of production. I'm a business major, so I know what I'm talking about. UPS can get a ton of conpanies to produce them. And we all know the diad isnt all that technology sophisticated, UPS buy them in bulk - so eventually they get a discoun To sum this up, UPS doesnt pay over $600 per diad.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dropped mine once, and a dump truck pulled in the parking lot and ran it over, before I could dive to get it, happened that fast. Never paid it, cost of doing business.

PT Car Washer

I dropped mine once, and a dump truck pulled in the parking lot and ran it over, before I could dive to get it, happened that fast. Never paid it, cost of doing business.
I agree in your case it was an accident. Loosing one but may be considered careless and negligent. What would the company say if you called in and said you lost the package car?

oldngray

nowhere special
When we first got DIAD's we were told we should feel free to leave it anywhere we left our COD money (we still collected cash then). Frequently DIADs were break and that is expected wear and tear. Actually losing one is a different situation. If you lost one you might be stuck paying for it although I never heard of it happening. DIAD prices usually were in the $1000 to $1500 range up until the V. I don't know its cost but $3000 seems a bit high.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't believe there is any driver who delivered off paper who has not had that happen a time or two......except maybe Dave.

Never had that happen w/paper but I did lean the DIAD against the back bumper and then drove around the corner to the next stop. Yeah, it was still leaning just where I left it. :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When we first got DIAD's we were told we should feel free to leave it anywhere we left our COD money (we still collected cash then). Frequently DIADs were break and that is expected wear and tear. Actually losing one is a different situation. If you lost one you might be stuck paying for it although I never heard of it happening. DIAD prices usually were in the $1000 to $1500 range up until the V. I don't know its cost but $3000 seems a bit high.

I have heard they are $4K each.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Those so called smartphones cost a lot due to demand, not because of its cost of production. I'm a business major, so I know what I'm talking about. UPS can get a ton of conpanies to produce them. And we all know the diad isnt all that technology sophisticated, UPS buy them in bulk - so eventually they get a discoun To sum this up, UPS doesnt pay over $600 per diad.
So, because you are a business major, you know how much a DIAD costs? Umm... Ok...

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I've heard 2500.

Had a guy hold an elevator with his Diad. Door tried to close, bumped the Diad, it fell through an unusually large gap in the door and it fell 9 stories. It didn't survive. He didn't pay for it!

rod

Retired 22 years
Never had that happen w/paper but I did lean the DIAD against the back bumper and then drove around the corner to the next stop. Yeah, it was still leaning just where I left it. :)

We wouldn't expect anything different in the BOG. Let me guess--if you would have lost it you would have gladly paid for it out of your own pocket.

porkwagon

I dropped the first generation DIAD out the driver's side just in time for a semi to come along and run it over. Back then we used paper delivery records for back up. The same records as we used right before DIAD. No 1z. Just 6 digit shipper numbers plus the three digit id.

542thruNthru

You might wanna get your money back on the fake degree you got champ.

http://www.posglobal.com/99EXL03-0C612XEH.html

Ours are also larger than 1Gig. With certain specs that they require the device to have. Which I'm sure with your degree "you aint even know it"

Tough Guy

There's so many funny posts in this topic. Heh. Especially the elevator one.

But yes if these diads are in the thousands then we did get ripped off.

I think we're on the 3rd year with the V? It seems every week there's always a stack of 5 or so diads in the office with a paper taped around it labeling it as broken or bad. I've had 2 diads go down on me on road since their induction.

There will always be a few bad ones in a bunch when you deal with electronics, but these things seem to have too high a failure rate for only being in the 3rd year of service, especially if they're as expensive as some of you have suggested.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
This is the base commercial scanner model our Diad is based on. Now add customization and programming.

70,000 were rolled out. 70,000 isn't going to bring that pice down to 600 dollars.

EDIT I just noticed this is REFURBISHED price which further solidifies my point

image.jpg

Tough Guy

When i started as a helper, backs whe it was just the IV, I took the board while we were driving to view Edd, and when I went to put it back in the holster, I didn't position it properly and it bounced off the holster, went between my hands, then my thighs, then chairimed off the step and into the street. The driver slammed the breaks and we had to back track to it. It slid squarely under a parked car. And it was snowing and slushy out. I crawled under the car to retrieve it. Must've been quite a sight to see by anyone passing by, me crawling around army style in the slush. Lol. We still laugh about it to this day.

We have a driver who had a rural route and lost his DIAD by sitting it on his truck. A road crew doing brush clearing on the side of the road found it TWO YEARS later and sat it on top of a road sign and the same driver recovered it. It was recharged and still worked! Couldn't believe it

Rainman

Its all good.
I never lost a DIAD but I did lose a clipboard with paper records that bounced out of the holder in cab and out the side door.
I was delivering on paper to a guy who was on a boat. Clipboard between two packages. Instead of taking both, the guy pulled off the top package and the clipboard sliced down into the water, never to be seen again. 100 stops gone. I spent an hour when I got back trying to reconstruct my day.