LP in cerrtios,Ca is bad

gandydancer

... Just walk in with your wallet and nothin' else, it makes searches quicker...

I'm on site from 5p to 4a, no way I'm just bringing my wallet and relying on the junk food dispensers. Cellphones aren't a problem -- the guard shack logs them and issues stickers. Got one for my voltmeter too... But then they give you crap like not allowing cassette tape players unless they have a radio. And this whole new (here) "clean IN" business where they hold you up at the guard shack, off the clock, and make you late. And then you're supposed to go the long way around, still off the clock, following the yellow lines - all right angles, just like the plebes at West Point (well...) - across an untrafficked yard.

Of course, having to follow ANY of these rules depends on whether they fall under the "panic of the week" of that particular week at UPS. UPS always enforces some unpredictable, but predictably small, subset of an incredible morass of rules.

hoser

Industrial Slob
I'm on site from 5p to 4a, no way I'm just bringing my wallet and relying on the junk food dispensers. Cellphones aren't a problem -- the guard shack logs them and issues stickers. Got one for my voltmeter too... But then they give you crap like not allowing cassette tape players unless they have a radio. And this whole new (here) "clean IN" business where they hold you up at the guard shack, off the clock, and make you late. And then you're supposed to go the long way around, still off the clock, following the yellow lines - all right angles, just like the plebes at West Point (well...) - across an untrafficked yard.

Of course, having to follow ANY of these rules depends on whether they fall under the "panic of the week" of that particular week at UPS. UPS always enforces some unpredictable, but predictably small, subset of an incredible morass of rules.
wow, that's outrageous. why no casette players without a radio? what about mp3 players? would they be ok if they had a built in radio? why the obsession over the radio?:confused:1

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Cellphones aren't a problem -- the guard shack logs them and issues stickers. Got one for my voltmeter too... But then they give you crap like not allowing cassette tape players unless they have a radio.

We don't have tags or stickers for cell phones. I hand it to the guard going out and he verifies it has power. End of story there. We are not allowed to have any other electronic equipment within the facility--tape-players or otherwise. I see a lotta people with cell phones that double as MP3 players. I've never seen a problem with those. I wish they'd allow us to bring MP3 players in as I have one. I broke a set of headphones a few weeks ago (gotta love running for a bus and getting cord stuck on a branch!), so its not like I couldn't hear if they called my name. -Rocky

vin

We don't have tags or stickers for cell phones. I hand it to the guard going out and he verifies it has power. End of story there. We are not allowed to have any other electronic equipment within the facility--tape-players or otherwise. I see a lotta people with cell phones that double as MP3 players. I've never seen a problem with those. I wish they'd allow us to bring MP3 players in as I have one. I broke a set of headphones a few weeks ago (gotta love running for a bus and getting cord stuck on a branch!), so its not like I couldn't hear if they called my name. -Rocky
In our building we are allowed to bring in cell phones without any problem. No pass, sticker, etc. needed. However there is a sign that says "Cell phone use inside is prohibited". We were told that cell phones interfered when the scanners were uploading. We were also told that this was no longer a problem when we got the new bluetooth scanners, but the sign is still there. We are also allowed to bring in radios, although they must run on batteries. (Safety issue since you could trip on a power cord.) Mp3 players/walkmans have been another issue. They have always been OKas far as getting past security but have been OK, banned, OK again, several times for safety reasons. (Currently banned on my shift, not sure about the other shifts.) Anything else that has the possibility it might have come from a package (DVDs, video games, etc.) needs a media pass.

W

westsideworma

In our building we are allowed to bring in cell phones without any problem. No pass, sticker, etc. needed. However there is a sign that says "Cell phone use inside is prohibited". We were told that cell phones interfered when the scanners were uploading. We were also told that this was no longer a problem when we got the new bluetooth scanners, but the sign is still there. We are also allowed to bring in radios, although they must run on batteries. (Safety issue since you could trip on a power cord.) Mp3 players/walkmans have been another issue. They have always been OKas far as getting past security but have been OK, banned, OK again, several times for safety reasons. (Currently banned on my shift, not sure about the other shifts.) Anything else that has the possibility it might have come from a package (DVDs, video games, etc.) needs a media pass.

I don't think think they're (mp3 player) OFFICIALLY allowed on the preload either vin, but I know some of the unloaders still have them tucked away so its not really enforced. The rest is the same for us as it is for you.

vin

I don't think think they're (mp3 player) OFFICIALLY allowed on the preload either vin, but I know some of the unloaders still have them tucked away so its not really enforced. The rest is the same for us as it is for you.
I know my shift (nite) is really strict about enforcing safety issues. Some df the other shifts, especially the twi let a lot more stuff slide. When the latest ban on mp3 players was announced, I was working in the sort aisle so it was very easy for the sup to see if we had one or not. In some of the other areas like the outbounds they may be able to get away with a little ore because the sup isn't walking by every 10-15 minutes. I haven't seen anyone on my shift with one, but I know a few people who would use one if they could get away with it. I don't get sent to the outbounds as much as I used to so I don't know for sure how strict they are, but I do know most sups are just happy if their belt runs smoothly for the night. If they have a person or two who keeps their load caught up all night and has an mp3 player they listen to discreetly, I think the sup would just look the other way.