Lucky to work for UPS

Penguin

As I delivered a package to a business yesterday, a gentleman in the office said "You're lucky to work for UPS" I said "I'm lucky?" He said yes, "Good pay and benefits" I said "Well we work hard for it"

What I was thinking during this conversation was: " Lucky? No, not really, I EARNED it, I have worked my a** off, only through my hard, work, perseverance and determination do I work for UPS"

Damn straight...It's hard for many guys to become a driver and you have earn that position.

david cassin

dublinbrown
my team leader says the same sometimes..having worked for ups for 20 years see them going from strength to strength.they are lucky to have good workers .mgmt and their share dividends thats all they are worried about...
we are all good ambassadors for ups so they should take note of this.

.maybe if they would introduce share options here in ireland then we may say yes we are lucky to work for ups

Mike Hawk

lets not tear down the pre/load here drivers. it is a hard job too!!! lets all drop our attitudes and never forget where we all came from!!!! some of these people don't want full time and most of them couldn't fathom the pressure we are all under to p/up deliver all that stuff in one day!! the best pr/loaders are the ones who were peak helpers or tried pkg car and for some reason went back!!we all tow the line here from the guy who cleans the bldng to the senior feeder driver who has the easiest run!! no one is exempt from some sort of pressure !!! i often brought my pre/loader a coffee or soda and donut in the a.m to show i apreciated his work!!! maybe we could all take a hard look at every ones jobs here and see no one has it easy, i'm a feeder driver who has done everything here but fly the plane or took the tie!!!!!

Good advice, a buck for a Gatorade is a hell of a lot more motivation than management can provide. its not that I have something to drink its that my work is getting appreciated.

PS doughnuts will make your preloader fat!

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Either your mileage is very low or you skip your hour lunch and run all day. Do you even have a lunch break in the UK?

I work for UPS in Los Angeles I drive 40 miles in my first truck and about 20 in the wally I pick up at 2.30 I take a 30 min lunch everyday but skip my breaks and I run all the way to the bank.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I have a grievance!! They made me load 8 to 10 trucks 600 to 800 pieces each car during peak back in the 80's..You had it easy stud boy, lol.

lol I know. The guy that trained me used to load 8 cars.
I would go up and face packages for the pick off and would sort all the small bags while my area was clean though. We used to get 50c a bag when I started first. Extra 15 to 20 bucks a night. God Im getting old, I sound like my old man talking about how easy kids today have it lol. Its quite funny how people refuse to believe we used to do that much work , but that was the norm back then.

Mike Hawk

I still can't belive you loaded 488 PPH, one package every 7.5 seconds while doing smalls and helping the pickoff.

Hazmat loading 4800-8000 pieces is ridiculous, not possible for a part time shift. With 8 trucks and 600 pieces thats 1 package every 3.75 seconds. Could you even walk from your first truck to your tenth truck in 3.75 seconds much less load a package?

Im going insane or you guys are messing with me. I need more beer.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I still can't belive you loaded 488 PPH, one package every 7.5 seconds while doing smalls and helping the pickoff.

Hazmat loading 4800-8000 pieces is ridiculous, not possible for a part time shift. With 8 trucks and 600 pieces thats 1 package every 3.75 seconds. Could you even walk from your first truck to your tenth truck in 3.75 seconds much less load a package?

Im going insane or you guys are messing with me. I need more beer.

Thats about right dude 1 package every 4 secs remember though an optimal load is 6 packages making your (brisk) walk into the car 24 secs.
24 secs is almost enough time to use the bathroom and the soda machine.