Lunch Breaks

gandydancer

... What's the point of taking part of your lunch at 6pm? All it does is hold you up from going home or doing what you have to do earlier than you would have...

Again, there is no way management can break your meal period into bits and pieces. No where, no way, under no contract or rider or addendum or state law. You get your meal period, and it is what it is, and then you're on the clock until it's time (in CA after 10 hours if you haven't signed a waiver, or before -- I think -- 12 hours if you have) for a SECOND meal period.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Call the Department of Labor and give them all the information.

If your steward, business agent, or union is a bunch of :furry::furry::furry::furry::furry::furry:s, you have to take that next step !!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Again, there is no way management can break your meal period into bits and pieces. No where, no way, under no contract or rider or addendum or state law. You get your meal period, and it is what it is, and then you're on the clock until it's time (in CA after 10 hours if you haven't signed a waiver, or before -- I think -- 12 hours if you have) for a SECOND meal period.

I agree completely. That was the point I was making! If you break up a meal period, or take it at dinner -time, then you're allowing it to happen!

Braveheart

You take lunch anytime after airs and finish before you start your pick ups. Tell them to come get the business stops that will be missed. Most guys take lunch 1-2 or 2-3. Get rid of air savers but otherwise it is their problem not yours.

Fullhouse

In South Carolina , the Contract reads that we are to take Lunch between the 4th and 6th hour after start time. Mgmnt can not force you to work during lunch.The 10 min break must be taken at such a time where it cannot cause a service failure.
Advice take your lunch then call the center for help!

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

We are required to input a 1 hour lunch in to are DIADs everyday. IF they are requiring you to enter it into you DIAD then they can't tell you you can't take it.

Remember that you don't get paid for you hour lunch each day. So if they are telling you that you have to work your lunch which means they are tell you to work without being paid for one hour a day would be breaking the law in all 50 states.

mean918

Do you know exactly when your lunch actually starts and ends? Our center is telling us that it starts when your last stop before lunch is completed. But what if your last stop before lunch is at the top of a fifth floor walk-up. Clearly you don't varry your lunch while you deliver. Please help clarify.

StopCount

Our center is telling us that it starts when your last stop before lunch is completed.

Well, depending on when you press the stop complete button that rule could cause some problems. If you press the stop complete on the fifth floor then what do you do with your hand cart? If you finish at your truck, then do you just leave the truck in the middle of the parking lot?

Here a lunch can't be "interrupted" or it's doesn't count as a lunch.

If they are threatening disciplinary action over it then follow their rules. Leave your truck blocking other cars and put out a note with your center manager's phone number on it. :]

I go into restaurants to use then bathroom, but after coming out I "decide" to take my lunch. So that is when my official lunch starts. :]

SteveOUPS

Me and my helper.
Okay guys and gals, here a question for you.

I was told from my center manager that you could not take your lunch break if it would cause service failures. I have to work as directed and grieve later. How much of this is true?

Let's say for example your a swing driver and you get and extra split of buisness on your route for the day. Now you know the route already has enough buisness on it already without the split not do get a lunch break until the end of your day. What do you do?

I take my lunch...its a safety issue...let the chips fall where they may.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Do you know exactly when your lunch actually starts and ends? Our center is telling us that it starts when your last stop before lunch is completed. But what if your last stop before lunch is at the top of a fifth floor walk-up. Clearly you don't varry your lunch while you deliver. Please help clarify.

Easy, hit stop complete when you get back to your truck. Same with taking a leak. Get the signature, take the leak, stop complete.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Its always better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. Therefore, you should take your lunch break and then inform management that you will need help.

Loco170Brownie

Its always better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. Therefore, you should take your lunch break and then inform management that you will need help.

Agree with this all the way. If you ask for help then take lunch you spend half of your lunch fielding stupid messages about why your day sucks.

They made a big deal around here about a month ago (Here being Central MA) saying we had to START our lunch between the 4th and 5th hours. I do know a number of guys that liked to take their lunch at the end of the day in the winter to have as much daylight as possible and they got all upset.

These are the same guys running 15-20 stops a day more than me because I do it all by the book. As stated on this thread before, run and gun just gets you more work to do.

BigBrownSanta

Agree with this all the way. If you ask for help then take lunch you spend half of your lunch fielding stupid messages about why your day sucks.

They made a big deal around here about a month ago (Here being Central MA) saying we had to START our lunch between the 4th and 5th hours. I do know a number of guys that liked to take their lunch at the end of the day in the winter to have as much daylight as possible and they got all upset.

These are the same guys running 15-20 stops a day more than me because I do it all by the book. As stated on this thread before, run and gun just gets you more work to do.

Do not answer messages during your lunch hour/break. Take the diad and throw it in the back of the truck and shut the door until your lunch is finished. If you are required to answer msgs while at lunch, then by DOL standards, you are considered working and should be on the clock and getting paid.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I use my DIAD as my watch, as I don't wear one per my religion. It could beep that there's a message 6000 times and I wouldn't answer it during lunch. I think this is what the radio on/off switch is for.

backinbrown

respect my authority
I use my DIAD as my watch, as I don't wear one per my religion. It could beep that there's a message 6000 times and I wouldn't answer it during lunch. I think this is what the radio on/off switch is for.

as soon as i sort truck and start lunch diad goes in back of truck dont message me then for i am not on the clock