Lunch hour ?? 30 day qualifying.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Well today is do or die time. I'm heading out with the division manager for my qualifying day. I went with the center manager last week and the only caveat he said I had was squaring up to the bulkhead door. I talked his ear off while driving and he said "he wouldn't normally recommend talking while driving but I was fine doing it". I guess I'm pretty smooth with all the methods and such. It's not that hard once you get it all down. I turn my ebrake on so many times a day that sometimes I have to recheck to make sure I turned it on because I do it without thinking. As it should be I know. I hope it all goes smooth today. I really do love this job. My only other issue is I'm way over on miles sometimes due to running after commits or commercial stops before they close. I have a large 3 county route area on the edge of 3 counties. Plus the small towns in the middle of it all. Some commercial stops are on obscure county roads and of course ODO scheduled after 5pm when I'm coming in 114 clicks under and such. I average about 50 clicks under and still can't get to them. It's not that hard to memorize commercial stop addresses. But it's impossible to see them on the diad when each stop says "12345 COUNTY ROAD" with no road number itself showing without having to go under details of 120 stops one by one. I've relegated myself to checking details of like the last 20 during lunch hour. It sucks. But running after them without management getting upset over the miles is impossible. I'm just trying to take care of the customers in a timely and safe fashion.
press the right arrow and it’ll show you the county road numbers.

DOK

Hello,

I'm figuring out that being a runner gunner type doesn't actually get things accomplished. Yesterday I had DIAD issues. They rebuilt the DIAD before leaving and the new one kept rebooting as well. So my supervisor brought me another diad on the road. Well, between commit packages and commercial stops I now have to get that required lunch hour in between 1-2pm? How the hell do I manage that when that time slot is full of stops and yet get to a school and another stop before a 3pm closing? With ODO full. I'm also on a county route. With some stops 7-10 miles apart. I had to drop like 6 stops to get to the commit stops first yesterday because of the diad issues. Then run like 10 miles back. Not to mention some commit stops had me blocks away from those my early closing commercial stops. But the other commits where 10 miles away with no time to drop the larger stops real fast to make those other commits on time. Running out of ODO and no time for a required lunch to qualify.
Just skip lunch like everyone else

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
DO NOT work when you're not punched in. If you were to have an accident during one of those "not working" times, you would surely be fired.

Although you really shouldn't do it, I have heard of many people "working" during the "paid break", although it is not "recommended". One thing you can do is organize your truck while eating your sandwich. It's your time, but you are still getting paid, so if you get injured or something happens, you still get to keep your job.

And no matter what, once you have made seniority, NEVER EVER work during a break. And always work safely, even if it sacrifices getting done sooner.

"The only reward you will receive for getting done fast is more work." - Every UPS Driver ever.
Accident should not be in your vocabulary. Running/gunning is what occurs after the handbrake goes down. Drive using the methods, because the only thing that will guarantee you Dq is that truck touching ANYTHING. Space on all four sides, and always in front.

Steamer

Well, so far so good. The division manager didn't do the ride along yet. I'm still working following methods safely. I seem to learn something new daily still. I just hope the learning curve on certain things doesn't get me into trouble. Like sheeting a misload or something as missed. I just learned about that. I also learned how to pick up unscheduled instead of sheeting 20 packages as special counts to get credit for the time.

The Orion 3 issues are messing with me a lot. Diad rebooting, locking up, and such. I've had like 5 different diads in a month. Now my package car is in the motor pool because of issues. So like 5 package cars now in the last two months. I just wish it was more consistent. But it's all good.

Steamer

Just skip lunch like everyone else
I wish that I could just skip lunch to get stuff accomplished. They are requiring lunch for qualifying. I'm on working day 30 today. It's either do or die. They called me off yesterday. So I'm assuming today is my last qualifying day and they were waiting on the division manager to be there today for the ride along. We shall see. Wish me luck. :chaseups:

Whither

Scofflaw
I wish that I could just skip lunch to get stuff accomplished. They are requiring lunch for qualifying. I'm on working day 30 today. It's either do or die. They called me off yesterday. So I'm assuming today is my last qualifying day and they were waiting on the division manager to be there today for the ride along. We shall see. Wish me luck. :chaseups:

You got this brother.

trickpony1

Just develop an addiction to energy drinks, ez pz

Sure.....ez pz.
I know of an orthopedic surgeon who decided he wanted to "buy" into a doctor owned hospital so he started slamming energy drinks. He also started doing knee replacements as fast as he could.

Guess where he ended up?

Slam on brother......

DOK

hope you nailed it! Let us know.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
Well, so far so good. The division manager didn't do the ride along yet. I'm still working following methods safely. I seem to learn something new daily still. I just hope the learning curve on certain things doesn't get me into trouble. Like sheeting a misload or something as missed. I just learned about that. I also learned how to pick up unscheduled instead of sheeting 20 packages as special counts to get credit for the time.

The Orion 3 issues are messing with me a lot. Diad rebooting, locking up, and such. I've had like 5 different diads in a month. Now my package car is in the motor pool because of issues. So like 5 package cars now in the last two months. I just wish it was more consistent. But it's all good.

would someone please explain this to me. i was told to use special account and scan each package.

freehoodies

would someone please explain this to me. i was told to use special account and scan each package.
Its likely they just don’t want you getting more hours added to your plan day so you wont “bonus” out easier.

Example: drivers planned day is 10 hours. He gets done in 9 hours. In some centers they get paid for the planned day or hours worked, whichever is higher. So he gets a “bonus” hour of pay.

If he gets credited extra time for a pickup he would get extra pay, and they might not want to pay it. So they just tell you the way that pays less and hope you dont look into it.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
Its likely they just don’t want you getting more hours added to your plan day so you wont “bonus” out easier.

Example: drivers planned day is 10 hours. He gets done in 9 hours. In some centers they get paid for the planned day or hours worked, whichever is higher. So he gets a “bonus” hour of pay.

If he gets credited extra time for a pickup he would get extra pay, and they might not want to pay it. So they just tell you the way that pays less and hope you dont look into it.

thanks, can you explain how to pick up "unscheduled"?

Steamer

Yes could be for some centers. I was actually told by a driver that I talk to a lot that he thought that they didn't want him doing unscheduled anymore. Probably because of that overpay reasoning. I've been doing it still myself with no complaints. Maybe they want me to bonus out more as I have been qualifying. I come in around 50 clicks under a lot. A few days I've had 100+ clicks under.

Steamer

You go under the menu and select "unscheduled" Then input the address to the place you are picking up the unscheduled pick up. You will have to hit OVERRIDE sometimes when doing the address street part. Just make sure it has the right information for city and zip. Then you scan each package. It will keep the count for you. Then just input that count on the next screen and hit stop complete. It's really only worth it for say 3 or more packages for the time allowance. If it's less I just use special counts and scan.

The shipper number is the first 6 numbers and letters after the 1Z....

Last edited:

JJinVA

You go under the menu and select "unscheduled" Then input the address to the place you are picking up the unscheduled pick up. You will have to hit OVERRIDE sometimes when doing the address street part. Just make sure it has the right information for city and zip. Then you scan each package. It will keep the count for you. Then just input that count on the next screen and hit stop complete. It's really only worth it for say 3 or more packages for the time allowance. If it's less I just use special counts and scan.

I wondered about that. When I run my Saturday route, which is usually the same every Saturday but different from what I run during the week, I stop by the CVS that usually has a scheduled pickup just to see if they have anything going out since its on the way to the next area on the route. And if they do I usually just scan it under special counts. Never have felt the need to use the Unscheduled feature.

I do wish that the res/comm button was programmed to toggle business stops from resi stops. Had a business stop at the end of my edd last week that had a persons name under details as well as on the label so I would have never known it was a school since that was a new stop for me. But that would be too useful for UPS to implement

Steamer

Also if you want to get faster at scanning stuff for stops I use the shift key about 100% of the time now. Instead of using the touch screen and hitting FRONT DOOR, BACK DOOR and so on. I hit SHIFT 5 then 7 stop complete. That's a front door drop. Or shift 5, 8. That's back door. You will see it light up on the screen. It gets real fast once you get used to it. I've been showing other drivers. Even a lot of veteran drivers don't know about it. The SHIFT key is the orange key on the bottom right. You can use it for all menus pretty much. It will highlight each thing with a number. Once you memorize the numbers over time you just hit them without even thinking about it. I can do it so fast now that the DIAD can't even keep up and is still computing sometimes as I put it back into the DIAD holder in the package car.

Also the shift key is great for winter because you can't really touch a screen well with gloves on.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member

i asked another driver about this yesterday and he said unscheduled only worked if the person you're picking up the pkg from had an account with ups, is that not the case?