lunch in Diad

article22

Banned
The whole country need the board to lock up for an hour like in California. That would eliminate alot of runners, accident and injuries!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The whole country need the board to lock up for an hour like in California. That would eliminate alot of runners, accident and injuries!!

Absolutely not!!!!!!

All it would take to stop the runners/gunners would be for the on-cars to print out delivery records and compare them to the times entered in the DIAD for lunch and breaks. Any work done during those times would result in progressive discipline for falsifying records.

We do not need to be treated like 2 year olds and have the DIAD's locked down.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

If the company really thought it would eliminate accidents and injuries they would have implemented it nationwide a long time ago. Why do you care about "runners"? Just do your job.

I thought that also, but the fact is people will drive/deliver while taking lunch. For example someone could take their lunch while going back to building and getting their 2nd car. In my opinion, If you are a bonus center, this might be common practice.

article22

Banned
I do my job. Just not right when someone covers the trip and it has a 12 hour dispatch on it because of the runner that does it all day!! It's going to happen eventually. Stop living above your means and chasing the carrot!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I do my job. Just not right when someone covers the trip and it has a 12 hour dispatch on it because of the runner that does it all day!! It's going to happen eventually. Stop living above your means and chasing the carrot!!!

You know what they say about assumptions, don't you? I live well within my means.

I am an adult. I know the requirements of my job include taking a paid 10 minute break and an unpaid 45 minute lunch break. I have already conceded that I do not take them during the contractually required times (1st and 3rd, 3rd and 5th) but I do take my full lunch and break. I was slammed yesterday and came very close to not taking my lunch but I thought better of it and took my full 45 minutes from 1700-1745.

There is no need to lock down the boards.

Bad Gas!

Absolutely not!!!!!!

All it would take to stop the runners/gunners would be for the on-cars to print out delivery records and compare them to the times entered in the DIAD for lunch and breaks. Any work done during those times would result in progressive discipline for falsifying records.

Upstate,

You know the sups will not do a such printout..That would hurt the centers production..If the hour shutdown was in effect, they would have to reloop our center because of business deliveries..I think California gets it right on this one.....for once..

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Out here in California we must take a full hour and two fifteen minute breaks. A thirty minute lunch is legal but must have center approval first. With that said I think it's a shame we have these rules in regards of taking them. There are quite a bit of reasons why one might skip their lunch and none of them are any if your concern. My job is to deliver and pick up packages, and as long as my job is finished there should be nothing keeping me on the clock. Personally I coach my sons various teams and the only way to make it there is to skip my lunch. Does this hurt you some how. I don't think so. Your plan day is still just that, your plan day. So do as mentioned all over this site and worry about your own job.

Upstate,

You know the sups will not do a such printout..That would hurt the centers production..If the hour shutdown was in effect, they would have to reloop our center because of business deliveries..I think California gets it right on this one.....for once..

How many states have this? Ca, Wa, any others? I only know 1 person who has been fired for this. Dishonesty/violation of state law.

Absolutely not!!!!!!

The fact that it locks down is proof that SOME need to be treated like two year olds. Adults working as they should by the contract would never had a reason to file the lawsuit that led to the CA lunch rule in the first place.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate,

If the centers won't do it voluntarily the union should then step in and make it happen. The runner/gunners are well-known. I am a runner/gunner; however, unlike the other two in my center, I take my full break/lunch. All it would take is one of them being disciplined for the behavior to change.

The same goes with working off the clock. We have a couple, myself include, who will pitch in to help their preloaders to varying degrees. Grievances filed to be paid for this free labor would put an end to this practice.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The lawsuit was not for lunch. It was for the third break and second lunch rule. In fact every employer is under the same requirement for lunch in California. However they overturned the law stating that it is not the employers responsibility to enforce the lunch law. That's why they no longer check. Try not taking your lunch on Monday and see yourself. They only look at breaks and the hour verses the thirty minute lunch in relation to our plan days. So please understand that the lawsuit and lunch enforcement having no coronation.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Didn't read everything but no I like to look thru my stops while I'm at lunch. Also what if a customer comes up to your right after u started lunch. Oh sorry come back in an hour.

Indecisi0n

You know what they say about assumptions, don't you? I live well within my means.

I am an adult. I know the requirements of my job include taking a paid 10 minute break and an unpaid 45 minute lunch break. I have already conceded that I do not take them during the contractually required times (1st and 3rd, 3rd and 5th) but I do take my full lunch and break. I was slammed yesterday and came very close to not taking my lunch but I thought better of it and took my full 45 minutes from 1700-1745.

There is no need to lock down the boards.

You know if you took your lunch between the correct window by the contract they wouldn't give you so much business.

barnyard

KTM rider
It is stupid to have to print out delivery records to verify working/not working during break. If a person is punched out for break or lunch, the board should not work for anything else.

In feeders, if you are on break or lunch and the tractor moves, Ivis knows and clicks a break/lunch endtime. The only reason the diad does not do the same is the DOT has not said anything. UPS will only act when it becomes a legal violation. As long as employees are willing to screw themselves over, they don't care.

It has been said here hundreds of thousands of times, if you take your full breaks and lunches at around the same time every day, the bosses will figure it out and dispatch accordingly. It does not take that many missed deliveries for them to get the message.

tourists24

I would have zero problem with the board shutting down at a lunch time.... If a driver is taking a full lunch to begin with, he/she would hardly notice a thing anyway.

oldngray

nowhere special
When taking a lunch just ignore your DIAD until your lunch is over. When you pick it back up it can beep at you about all the on calls you have to make or other things you need to do. You can just say, sorry, you can't meet the commit times now since you just got the message.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Out here in California we must take a full hour and two fifteen minute breaks. A thirty minute lunch is legal but must have center approval first. With that said I think it's a shame we have these rules in regards of taking them. There are quite a bit of reasons why one might skip their lunch and none of them are any if your concern. My job is to deliver and pick up packages, and as long as my job is finished there should be nothing keeping me on the clock. Personally I coach my sons various teams and the only way to make it there is to skip my lunch. Does this hurt you some how. I don't think so. Your plan day is still just that, your plan day. So do as mentioned all over this site and worry about your own job.

I live and breath sports but I took this job knowing ill miss plenty of stuff and certainly will never be able to coach a sports team.

You hurt plenty of part timers who could have a driving job if you didn't skip lunch.

oldngray

nowhere special
Bad idea. GPS tracks where you stop complete and if you prerecord and stop complete later it will show you delivering to wrong location and the time between stops will raise flags. You may get away with it for a while but eventually you would get burned for doing it.
Re:What stops someone from prerecording 20 stops and running them off during lunch?