lunch in Diad

bigblu 2 you

I don't see how my lunch is effecting a job. If I skip my lunch I do just that. I never said I work on my lunch. My plan day stays the same regardless of my eating schedule.
if they deducted your break,and you didnt take one,that means"YOU WORKED ON BREAK".you are giving your c.m. ,d.m. and ceo 8 hours a week.have they thanked you?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
If the company really thought it would eliminate accidents and injuries they would have implemented it nationwide a long time ago. Why do you care about "runners"? Just do your job.

Because they screw things up for everybody.

AKCoverMan

Out here in California we must take a full hour and two fifteen minute breaks. A thirty minute lunch is legal but must have center approval first. With that said I think it's a shame we have these rules in regards of taking them. There are quite a bit of reasons why one might skip their lunch and none of them are any if your concern. My job is to deliver and pick up packages, and as long as my job is finished there should be nothing keeping me on the clock. Personally I coach my sons various teams and the only way to make it there is to skip my lunch. Does this hurt you some how. I don't think so. Your plan day is still just that, your plan day. So do as mentioned all over this site and worry about your own job.

This is what I don't get about the lunch debate... if I have ten hours of work to do what difference does it make if I do that work from 0900 to 1900 with no lunch as opposed to 0900 to 2000 with a one hour unpaid lunch? In both scenarios I am getting the same production done and I am getting paid the same amount. The only difference is I get home an hour earlier.

In my local we get two paid 15 breaks and a one hour unpaid lunch with further language that we may take just a half hour unpaid lunch with approval. In practice there is blanket approval for taking just the thirty and really nobody has said anything for years if we don't use the unpaid time.

I should have the right to take a lunch break of course. Dispatch me with all biz stops and pickups where I would have to skip lunch to make it all happen by closing time and I will toss the bs flag and call for help.

And don't get me started on working off the clock. Can't see why anyone would do that. We make a billion in profit after taxes a quarter, we are a cash machine. I'll take my share for every minute thank you very much and sleep well at night.

But why force me to take unpaid time during the day when I really would rather have that time in the evening? I don't see the benefit in that to anybody.

Dracula

Out here in California we must take a full hour and two fifteen minute breaks. A thirty minute lunch is legal but must have center approval first. With that said I think it's a shame we have these rules in regards of taking them. There are quite a bit of reasons why one might skip their lunch and none of them are any if your concern. My job is to deliver and pick up packages, and as long as my job is finished there should be nothing keeping me on the clock. Personally I coach my sons various teams and the only way to make it there is to skip my lunch. Does this hurt you some how. I don't think so. Your plan day is still just that, your plan day. So do as mentioned all over this site and worry about your own job.

You're amazingly shortsighted. Typically, guys like you are the first to bitch when additional work gets put into your day. Then they just can't figure out the connection between the two. And if you put your brain to it, it hurts every single one of us.

We used to have a burner in the center I worked in who ran three hours under allowed every day. He was a high strung guy, always wanted us to vote in bonus, but the main reason he tore it up was because he lived over an hour away from the building. By tearing it up, he would get off at 3:45 to 4 everyday. But the fact he lived that far away from the building wasn't our fault. Our building has always been there. It didn't move AWAY from him. Anyway, whenever our center needed help bailing a driver out, guess who was the first to get the call? Yep, Barney Burner. It used to drive him absolutely crazy, and gave us the biggest laughs. He never could figure out how to solve his own problem. It's amazing how many of you burners never do...

Dracula

I am sure many senior drivers would consider me a runner/gunner. I will say I work at a good/steady pace but I take my full hour ten DAILY. I typically take it at the end of the day at a local mall with a few other drivers, or a few lovely young women who work in said mall ;)

Nobody is going to force me to take my lunch when THEY want me to, I will take it when I say

Unless they tell you to.

Dracula

The bottom line here is that not only legally, but contractually all employees must be paid for time in service to their employees.

If you are not completely off duty during meal time then you are in service to the employer and must be paid.

This is work that other teamsters or potential dues paying members are entitled to.

In a sense you are stealing from the membership(or potential membership) and giving their money to your employer.

This is just not right.

The rich (corporations) do not need more concessions from the working class in this country.

I can't see of a bigger concession than working for free.

I guess maybe dying on the job because you were coherced to "work as directed" and not follow UPS safety training or OSHA standards to just "get it done" might qualify as a bigger concession.

I guess our country's love of money might argue that point. But in my opinion dying would be a bigger concession.

Sincerely,
I

Yeah, well good luck telling that to some of these clowns in here.

Dracula

Explain how me skipping my lunch or taking less than the full hour effects any part-timer? I have a route that is dispatched everyday with the same work. I finish my route with or without a lunch there is zero impact on my plan day. The only impact would be that my route is back to the building earlier than normal. So again please explain how it impacts part-timers.

Because if you are skipping your lunch, you are giving UPS 30 minutes (depending on how long your lunch period is) free labor, and eventually, more dispatched work on your truck. Put it to you this way: multiply your lunch period by your OT rate over a full year; that is how much you pay out of your own pocket to work for UPS. And if you continue to watch the ball roll downhill, the more drivers who do this, the more work gets absorbed by the same amount of drivers. That work does add up. It adds up to new jobs that aren't added. This isn't rocket surgery, people.

Dracula

Of all the routes I cover in my center I know exactly one that is regularly dispatched with the ability to take a full one-hour break between dels and pickups.

This isn't UPS's fault. This is because of spineless, ignorant drivers. That's not anger, that's simply the facts. If you force the issue, you will (eventually) get results. But there is effort required.

barnyard

KTM rider
Of all the routes I cover in my center I know exactly one that is regularly dispatched with the ability to take a full one-hour break between dels and pickups.

I know most of the routes in my center also. I always take my break between 1400 and 1500. Sometimes, it means that there are businesses that are delivered after or during pickups and sometimes there is a couple of missed. Usually happens one time per route, after that, dispatch gets fixed.

There is absolutely no reason that a driver has to work 8 or 9 hours with nothing but a bathroom break. If we worked in a factory under the same conditions, it would be called a sweatshop and would be shut down.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!

You're amazingly shortsighted. Typically, guys like you are the first to bitch when additional work gets put into your day. Then they just can't figure out the connection between the two. And if you put your brain to it, it hurts every single one of us.

We used to have a burner in the center I worked in who ran three hours under allowed every day. He was a high strung guy, always wanted us to vote in bonus, but the main reason he tore it up was because he lived over an hour away from the building. By tearing it up, he would get off at 3:45 to 4 everyday. But the fact he lived that far away from the building wasn't our fault. Our building has always been there. It didn't move AWAY from him. Anyway, whenever our center needed help bailing a driver out, guess who was the first to get the call? Yep, Barney Burner. It used to drive him absolutely crazy, and gave us the biggest laughs. He never could figure out how to solve his own problem. It's amazing how many of you burners never do...
What part of my stating that I I might skip my lunch to put me in a position to get off earlier says that I'm a "runner and gunner". How fair is a statement from me that all drivers who drag their feet cost driver jobs. It's not difficult to say that unproductive drivers cost UPS money thus making us less competitive against our lower paid competitors. What do you guys think about that. Thanks a lot for costing us jobs, you should be ashamed. So like I said before what I do on my route that is dispatched the EXACT same everyday on one day verses the next has ZERO impact on rather a par-timer is promoted.

iruhnman630

So like I said before what I do on my route that is dispatched the EXACT same everyday on one day verses the next has ZERO impact on rather a par-timer is promoted.
If 8 drivers skip their one hour break to finish commercial stops, then yes that is 8 hours of work, ie a potential job.

Commercial stops...That is where the impact is.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I also think the Diad should lock down for lunch, but it should be at the drivers discretion when to take lunch. All rtes are different. I wouldn't want to be in the "hood" delivering in the dark cause I had to take my lunch between 3rd and 6th hour. Been there done that and If I don't have to, I'm not.
Exactly why I dont take "all My lunch between the 3rd and 6th. I dont want an hour lunch anyway, who the heck wants that? I will not be in the hood after 3pm. So I take 10 minutes of it, between desired hrs, and get a cup of coffee, eat my lunch. If I dont take all my lunch, it is hours worked.
The only thing that would change is I would be in the hood after dark, and Im not going to be. No routes will be added, nothing will change and never will. Until someone gets shot or killed.
After say 5pm in the hood, you will get robbed, been there done that. If not robbed every bully dog who does not cower and love you for biscuits, will tear you apart, every door you have to knock on will introduce you to killer, they do not recognize people are out doing a job since most have never had one. And its really hard to see there since most street lights have been shot out, and they dont get fixed. So I will take my lunch when I am in a better hood, and if its zero, and snowing, I may not take the rest of it, I would rather be home. But it still conts as hours worked.
I understand what you are saying, I really do. But common sense doesnt rule, in dispatch, and I have tried it your way and all it does is put me in danger of getting fired for refusing to deliver, or puts me in bad areas after dark.
So you younguns full of bravado, go for it. I am all about eliminating risk, so I take my lunch when I can safely take it. Or I take less of it and live another day.

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't have a problem with the board locking up during breaks as long as we chose when. Only those that plan on working through part, or completely through, their breaks should have a problem with this. That's really all there is to say about it.

Dracula

What part of my stating that I I might skip my lunch to put me in a position to get off earlier says that I'm a "runner and gunner". How fair is a statement from me that all drivers who drag their feet cost driver jobs. It's not difficult to say that unproductive drivers cost UPS money thus making us less competitive against our lower paid competitors. What do you guys think about that. Thanks a lot for costing us jobs, you should be ashamed. So like I said before what I do on my route that is dispatched the EXACT same everyday on one day verses the next has ZERO impact on rather a par-timer is promoted.

Who said anything about dragging my feet? I work at my own pace.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
We have a choice of time periods on our boards in Washington...30, 1, 2. But there's an end lunch early button too. I've used it twice and have heard only crickets each time it's happened.

Omega man

What stops someone from prerecording 20 stops and running them off during lunch?

The DIAD should shut down and the seat and steering wheel should be electrified if the truck moves during the contractual lunch time.
Yes, we have foolish people working at UPS who need to be protected from themselves.