Lunch Time

wyobill

It's not the lunch hour that's killing you; it's the over dispatch/ lousy time study.
At our center when some of us were smoked with a heavy dispatch we wounld only take 15 min for lunch so we could at least make the feeder
pull so ground packages would not have to sit in our center untill the next day. Our center manager put a halt to that and informed us we are to show a full 1 hr. Sooo we are all back to taking the full hr and sometimes missing the
the feeder pull. ( we only have 12 routes out of our center and 1 feeder run that pulls at 7: 30) We are in a very remote area and were not talking about a ton of packages that are being missed but I still hate not making service especially when fed ex ground and air are trying to corral
our buisness. Filing 9 5s' have not done any good either.
None of us want to take that dam lunch hour. 15 minutes is enough!
our center runs 1.5 over every day. dont you just love the new modern day time allocations. The bottom line is I just want to do my job:thumbup1:

over9five

Staff member
"Filing 9 5s' have not done any good either."

The over 9.5 grievance hasn't brought down your dispatch, but at least you're getting double time when over 9.5. Cha ching!!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Here they dont force us to take our lunch, however they do encourage us to take at least 20 mins for our selves. What ever you dont take they pay you for except for a local wide grievance for 10 minute disagreement thet we have thats now in arbitration.

At our center when some of us were smoked with a heavy dispatch we wounld only take 15 min for lunch so we could at least make the feeder
pull so ground packages would not have to sit in our center untill the next day. Our center manager put a halt to that and informed us we are to show a full 1 hr. Sooo we are all back to taking the full hr and sometimes missing the
the feeder pull. ( we only have 12 routes out of our center and 1 feeder run that pulls at 7: 30) We are in a very remote area and were not talking about a ton of packages that are being missed but I still hate not making service especially when fed ex ground and air are trying to corral
our buisness. Filing 9 5s' have not done any good either.
None of us want to take that dam lunch hour. 15 minutes is enough!
our center runs 1.5 over every day. dont you just love the new modern day time allocations. The bottom line is I just want to do my job:thumbup1:
Sounds like you are ready to put a tie on. Take your hour lunch, file 9 5 grievances consistantly and don't let thier bad planning become your bad day. friend

wyobill

Sounds like you are ready to put a tie on. Take your hour lunch, file 9 5 grievances consistantly and don't let thier bad planning become your bad day. friend
I have 25 yrs as a package car driver. Im ready to shed my browns and never look back. They already ran off a great on car sup and our center manager
just got ran off as well. I cant image where this company is heading.

BILLYB

Our contract states 10-15 min break within first 2 hours and 40-45 min lunch 3rd to 5th hour on clock! Our center manager got himself in HOT water with UPS and Teamsters - always offering the "guns" to work thru and he would get them paid for it! I offered that this practice allows for "stealing company time" since no one could possibly work 10 hours without coffee nor bathroom break! It is also not fair if this applies to only a few and not to ALL! This is the basis for a UNION! My feeling is I could work thru lunch every day but if we sacrifice it we will lose it forever! It is there for a reason. Please do not abuse a given!

Our contract states 10-15 min break within first 2 hours and 40-45 min lunch 3rd to 5th hour on clock!

And if you don't take it at these times you should be punished for violating the contract...Oh wait, the teamsters believe that it is a one sided contract.

Dingo

In Atlanta we take one hour for lunch. In the summer thats hardly enough time to eat and hydrate yourself. There is no way I could only stop for 30 minutes on those 100 degree days

Omega man

I have 25 yrs as a package car driver. Im ready to shed my browns and never look back. They already ran off a great on car sup and our center manager
just got ran off as well. I cant image where this company is heading.

You have been with UPS 25 years and you haven't learned a thing. The problems you describe are not yours to address. It is management’s job to make sure airs get back in time to make the feeder. If you were in my center, I would file a grievance for you doing Union work for free and I would get paid for that time. Simply take your lunch as it is described in your contract and let management do their job!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You have been with UPS 25 years and you haven't learned a thing. The problems you describe are not yours to address. It is management’s job to make sure airs get back in time to make the feeder. If you were in my center, I would file a grievance for you doing Union work for free and I would get paid for that time. Simply take your lunch as it is described in your contract and let management do their job!
FYI, the post you're responding too is a couple years old. I think Wyobill has since retired.

What'dyabringmetoday???

We have to show a 10 min paid break and 50 min for lunch. I cant make service on picking up NDA and many times I misss the feeder with my ground packages due to heavy dispatches. I have a rural rt and many times I dont get in untill 9:00.......... They rather work the piss out of me rather than worry about making service on Packages picked up. This opens the door for Fed EX.......... The manditory lunch hour is killing me.
I hope you do not believe what you have posted.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Here we are required to take a minimum of 30 minutes for lunch.

The time is not taken out automatically however; if you skip your lunch and enter nothing, you will be paid for the full amount of time that you worked. You will also be talked to the next day.

The company used to just subtract one hour of pay per day for lunch even though the allowances were rigged to make any sort of lunch impossible to take. We filed and won a grievance that forced the company to only subtract the actual amount of lunch that was entered.

Now, if you are over distpatched or just have something going on after work and need to get off early, you can skip your lunch and get paid properly without having to falsify your timecard.

iruhnman630

In our center we are currently required to take (err, show) a 20 min lunch, and are allowed up to 50 min, plus 10 min paid. I'd love to know from which part of the contract the 20-min issue comes from.

I'm not a huge fan of wasting daylight and taking long breaks during the day, only to need to force myself back into a rhythm again. Even so, I've made a conscientious effort over the past year to take my 20 and 10 during the day. At the least, I stop for dinner on the way in and take it then. Sitting in the office for 20 min at the end of the day is just annoying.

iruhnman630

One day this summer I covered a route which was obviously dispatched with no break time...commercial deliveries that would run right up to 3 hours worth of pickups, with resis after.

When I approached the on-car about when I get my break time, his response was 'She always takes her break at the building at the end of the day.'

Needless to say I called for help with commercial stops that day.