Lunches..taken before work or on route?

Starting earlier than designated start time is OT, I believe for the entire day. It`s been awhile but if they call us in early it always has been in the past and most of us come a runnin.

browniehound

please explain how this benefits them...you still get your hours?

I have mixed feelings about this one because it does benefit UPS because routes that would miss businesses because of the hour lunch between the 4th and the 5th hour. However, it would GREATLY benefit myself because I would be home an hour earlier every night and actually eat dinner at dinner time, see my kids ptactice or game, go to the bank, etc..

I would rather extend my day from 835 am to 735 am than from 630pm to 730 pm. What's wrong with that? Like Browned up said, we still get our hours. How is any driver getting the short end of the stick by doing this? I still have two ten minute breaks to take through out the day and all the down time waiting for pick-ups to get ready to give me enough time to eat and rest.

I believe the hour lunch is analogous to an hour of solitary confinement. I don't like it. To sit there in the cold and do absolutely nothing is not for me. Its ridiculous. 5 hours a week, 260 hours a year of doing nothing. I give enough time to this company, I can do with out the extra 260 hours of unpaid time away from home if its allowed and possible...

browniehound

Why in the world would anyone want to come in at 7:30 am just to sit for an hour unpaid before working the next 8-9 hours with only a 10 minute break? I am not a strong advocate of the "between the 3rd and 5th hour" rule but I do advocate that a full lunch and break be taken. I take mine toward the end of my day as it works best for me and my delivery area.

Because I would get home an hour earlier and closer to what normal workers get home. Why would you want to sit UNPAID at the end of the day? I just want to go home. Why would you want to sit unpaid at any hour of the day?

Raw

Raw Member
Because I would get home an hour earlier and closer to what normal workers get home. Why would you want to sit UNPAID at the end of the day? I just want to go home. Why would you want to sit unpaid at any hour of the day?

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. There are more important things on some days than getting every penny coming to you each day! Your kids will be grown and gone or dear people in your life or your health and youth gone sooner than expected, don`t waste every minute of it unappreciated at UPS or ANY job for that manner.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. There are more important things on some days than getting every penny coming to you each day! Your kids will be grown and gone or dear people in your life or your health and youth gone sooner than expected, don`t waste every minute of it unappreciated at UPS or ANY job for that manner.
Omg so your saying they really don't appreciate me??? Thanks you just broke my heart and now
I'm so sad!!!!!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

That wasn't "raw" at all.
It was almost sensitive.
I'm not sure what to make of it???

Nimnim

The Nim
That wasn't "raw" at all.
It was almost sensitive.
I'm not sure what to make of it???

Who posted that, and what happened to the real Raw???

Maybe all the stress got to him and he snapped.
th_085_.gif

klein

Für Meno :)
Taking you lunch before start time, is no different then being forced to take your lunch after work.
They almost get 1 hr of more delivery time out of each driver and pc, that's about 10% !

Leaves the door open to either cut routes, or expand volume without adding new driver jobs.

And, not having to call in another preloader, if one or 2 don't show up for work.
They will, and maybe already have, asked those morning lunch taking drivers to do the job ?

UPSGUY72

Taking you lunch before start time, is no different then being forced to take your lunch after work.
They almost get 1 hr of more delivery time out of each driver and pc, that's about 10% !

Leaves the door open to either cut routes, or expand volume without adding new driver jobs.

And, not having to call in another preloader, if one or 2 don't show up for work.
They will, and maybe already have, asked those morning lunch taking drivers to do the job ?

I can't believe I'm going to say this but I agree with Klein.

IF they know your are taking your lunch at 7:30 in the morning wouldn't they just add more stops to your car becasue now you don't have to take a lunch in the middle of the day now they can get more work out of you before you have to be back to the building for either air or local sort issues.

JustTired

free at last.......

IF they know your are taking your lunch at 7:30 in the morning wouldn't they just add more stops to your car becasue now you don't have to take a lunch in the middle of the day now they can get more work out of you before you have to be back to the building for either air or local sort issues.

I agree 1000%. I think your tag line says it all.

bumped

Who do you think will be the first one they call when someone needs help?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The quality of the side-deal of taking lunch prior to start time, is directly depedent on several factors including: the dispatch, load quality and whether or not you're off road after your pickups or helping other drivers.

If you're off the clock and on the way home at 5pm every day maybe it ain't so bad? If it's truly a give and take thing between center manager and driver and works for both, it's not such a bad thing.

However, it IS still the manager taking adv of the employee in the end.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would be curious if the cover drivers who have to cover these areas are pressured to do the same or are they free to start at the regular time and take lunch like normal people do--at lunch time.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If the route in question was primarily residential then it probably wouldnt make a big difference either way...but if the driver is taking lunch before start time or at the end of the day in order to deliver 9 hours worth of businesses and pickups then his actions are costing a PT employee the opportunity for a full time driving job.

95% of the time I take my lunch between noon and 1:00 but every once in a while there are exceptional circumstances (doctor or dentist appointments, kids school functions etc.) under which I will take my lunch at a time other than what is specified by the contract. Since I am normally done with all business deliveries by noon, it really doesnt affect the route one way or another. I think the bigger issue is that, whatever the driver chooses to do, he needs to be honest about it when he turns in his timecard.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The quality of the side-deal of taking lunch prior to start time, is directly depedent on several factors including: the dispatch, load quality and whether or not you're off road after your pickups or helping other drivers.

If you're off the clock and on the way home at 5pm every day maybe it ain't so bad? If it's truly a give and take thing between center manager and driver and works for both, it's not such a bad thing.

However, it IS still the manager taking adv of the employee in the end.

What do you think will happen to both the driver and center manager when the driver has an accident where the DOT gets involved only find out that said driver was on the road for over 8 hrs without a break?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What do you think will happen to both the driver and center manager when the driver has an accident where the DOT gets involved only find out that said driver was on the road for over 8 hrs without a break?

The center manager will enforce an elaborate plan to cover up the fact it ever happened, including not paying them for the day (hours off the books), or etc.

The NTL contract guarantees two 10 minute break periods between 2nd and 3rd and 6th and 7th, correct? If the driver WILLINGLY took the lunch early then that does remove some guilt by the shark manager.