Lunches..taken before work or on route?

QKRSTKR

u do get overtime if u start before your start time here. So if u start a 1/2 hr or 1 hour early and only work 8 hrs u get paid overtime for all time worked before sch. start. However if u start a 1/2 hr early and u work say 8.5. you only get 1/2 overtime for the day. Overtime cannot be pyramided. How many del. drivers dont work more than 8 hrs a day? Or 9 for that matter.

So if these drivers start 1 hr early and they work 9 hrs total for the day, they get only 1hr of overtime. Not 2. confusing eh?

cino321

Our supplement says lunch must be taken between our 3rd and 5th hour of working, no exceptions. Drivers have been disciplined for taking it before, after (like at the end of the day), or not at all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our start time is 0915, which means OT would start at 1800, so if I were to start at 0815 OT would then start at 1700. (These times include our 45 minute unpaid lunch)

Our supplement says "No employee shall go to lunch before he/she has worked 3 1/2 hours nor after he/she has worked 5 1/2 hours". The reality is that this is ignored by most of the drivers, including myself, and is certainly not enforced by either the Union or UPS. I take mine after my deliveries and first round of pickups and before completing my second round of pickups, usually between 1545 and 1630. It is not uncommon for me to be on my way home and see 4-5 package cars parked at a local gas station/convenience store while the drivers take their lunches. This is between 1800 and 1900.

I have a restaurant that I delive tor around noon and I think to myself that this is when normal people eat their lunches.

I certainly do not advocate taking lunch an hour before start time but also do not condone taking it at the end of the day, either by sitting in the bldg or at a convenience store. I know that if we all took our lunch during the prescribed times that UPS would be forced to add more routes but I guess I simply lack the conviction to do so.

Nimnim

The Nim
Our start time is 0915, which means OT would start at 1800, so if I were to start at 0815 OT would then start at 1700. (These times include our 45 minute unpaid lunch)

Our supplement says "No employee shall go to lunch before he/she has worked 3 1/2 hours nor after he/she has worked 5 1/2 hours". The reality is that this is ignored by most of the drivers, including myself, and is certainly not enforced by either the Union or UPS. I take mine after my deliveries and first round of pickups and before completing my second round of pickups, usually between 1545 and 1630. It is not uncommon for me to be on my way home and see 4-5 package cars parked at a local gas station/convenience store while the drivers take their lunches. This is between 1800 and 1900.

I have a restaurant that I delive tor around noon and I think to myself that this is when normal people eat their lunches.

I certainly do not advocate taking lunch an hour before start time but also do not condone taking it at the end of the day, either by sitting in the bldg or at a convenience store. I know that if we all took our lunch during the prescribed times that UPS would be forced to add more routes but I guess I simply lack the conviction to do so.

There's a difference between working it into your route to make it more convenient, and taking it way too early or too late just because. Between pickups and and deliveries is a prime example, you're ensuring one segment of your work is done, and taking a break before starting another. You're never going to hear a gripe from me about someone doing that.