Made a mistake

trickpony1

I'm surprised the OP is fueling his truck.
When a sleeper team pulls into our hub the fueler fuels it while the team drivers waddle to the locker room to "freshen up".

542thruNthru

Not necessarily.....

You may get your job back but you might be out money. Now, let's say you blew that motor....totalling the tractor.....gets more interesting.
Nope.

Still wouldn't be considered willful and wanton destruction of property or a serious accident.

He'd get back pay if they fired him as long as he wasn't dishonest.

charm299

Hey guys,

been driving feeders for two years and just recently went sleeper. At one of our fuel stops I accidentally put a couple of gallons a of unleaded in our diesel truck and of course 30 minutes later the truck started acting up. We had to get towed to a meet point to get another truck, got crazy behind on our route, etc. I know only a couple of gallons was put into it because there’s only three lanes of fuel at this particular center. Pulled through the middle lane and those pumps didn’t work. Pulled through the far right lane and only was able to get four gallons out of it, then pulled through the far left and was able to fill up.
The far left pump is what we normally use but a trailer was blocking us from pulling through so I was trying to avoid having to back out of it. I don’t know if it was clearly labeled that one of those pumps anywhere was unleaded or not. I hate thinking I would have made a mistake that stupid but it happened unfortunately. We gotta stop back by there in 12 hours so I’m gonna see if anything is not labeled just in case so I can have an argument but I’m not feeling good about it.
as soon as the mechanic who checked our truck told us that it was filled with gasoline I called one of our feeder managers to let him know what I had done by the way.
Can this lead to a termination? I’ve had no write ups or wrecks or anything of that sort.
We had a package car driver do this at my building, our on car now calls him shaq diesel 😂😂

Tito95

Nope.

Still wouldn't be considered willful and wanton destruction of property or a serious accident.

Mentioned everything to a shop steward back home and he talked with our feeder manager just in passing. Manager said nothing to worry about not even a write up. Thanks for your insight and helping put me at ease. As of now, the incident is nothing more than a jab in my pride.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Mentioned everything to a shop steward back home and he talked with our feeder manager just in passing. Manager said nothing to worry about not even a write up. Thanks for your insight and helping put me at ease. As of now, the incident is nothing more than a jab in my pride.
Never rush again. Don't be a scab.

ManInBrown

Hey guys,

been driving feeders for two years and just recently went sleeper. At one of our fuel stops I accidentally put a couple of gallons a of unleaded in our diesel truck and of course 30 minutes later the truck started acting up. We had to get towed to a meet point to get another truck, got crazy behind on our route, etc. I know only a couple of gallons was put into it because there’s only three lanes of fuel at this particular center. Pulled through the middle lane and those pumps didn’t work. Pulled through the far right lane and only was able to get four gallons out of it, then pulled through the far left and was able to fill up.
The far left pump is what we normally use but a trailer was blocking us from pulling through so I was trying to avoid having to back out of it. I don’t know if it was clearly labeled that one of those pumps anywhere was unleaded or not. I hate thinking I would have made a mistake that stupid but it happened unfortunately. We gotta stop back by there in 12 hours so I’m gonna see if anything is not labeled just in case so I can have an argument but I’m not feeling good about it.
as soon as the mechanic who checked our truck told us that it was filled with gasoline I called one of our feeder managers to let him know what I had done by the way.
Can this lead to a termination? I’ve had no write ups or wrecks or anything of that sort.
No you will not be terminated. You did the right thing and reported the incident. Had you not reported it and were dishonest, yes you could’ve been fired.

Jlandry

Hey guys,

We all have made mistakes

quad decade guy

Nope.

Nope.

Not necessarily.

You friend up big enough.....you gonna get fired.

I ran out of fuel one time causing a cascade of other problems...

When I called my Boss.....He said "My Boss wants to fire you, so be ready...."

Now, would I've been offered my job back with pay? Who knows....but it would have cost me $1500 per week otherwise.

No? Seen it MANY times.

We have lot's of mgt. that shoots first and aims later.

I know of dozens of such examples....

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Nope.

Not necessarily.

Now, would I've been offered my job back with pay? Who knows....but it would have cost me $1500 per week otherwise.

No? Seen it MANY times.

C77BF1C5-65DF-472E-9608-87FCDFAB9489.gif

Tito95

4 gallons into 2-300?. BSBSBSBSBS
Yeah you’re right. We had to stop back at the center again to fuel up and I checked the pumps and it turns out that I was only able to get four gallons of diesel and filled the rest of the way up (which ended up being 1/4 of a tank worth of fuel) with unleaded.
I guess the center was all out of diesel at the time.

35years

Gravy route
Nope.

Not necessarily.

No? Seen it MANY times.

Get fired and stay fired are two very different things.

Why do you always try to scare drivers with the worst case scenario when they mess up. This thread is a prime example. The driver didn't even get a warning letter, yet you are speculating he may be fired.

And you know of "dozens of such examples"?

I call BS on you. You know "dozens" of firings for big mess ups that are not dishonesty?
"Dozens" would mean at least 24.

I have worked at UPS for over 40 years. I am involved with the union, I go to meetings, I know what goes on in my center. I doubt we have had over a dozen firings for non-dishonesty infractions in 40 years.

Cardinal sins will get you fired, not honest mistakes..Physically threatening, violence, sexual harassment, serious accidents etc.

If you want to constantly live in fear for your job, fine. But why do you feel the need to try to scare every driver who has a question about discipline?

And obviously you were never fired for running out of fuel. Your supervisor may have tried to fool you into believing you could be....But he would be full of it.

Last edited:

PCM Troll

Nothing will happen. No write up. Nothing. Because it involves a tow, technically it is considered an accident. They will not charge you for an accident because they don't want it on the books and going against the center. Besides, no one wants to cover your sleeper route anyways.

quad decade guy

Get fired and stay fired are two very different things.

Why do you always try to scare drivers with the worst case scenario when they mess up. This thread is a prime example. The driver didn't even get a warning letter, yet you are speculating he may be fired.

And you know of "dozens of such examples"?

I call BS on you. You know "dozens" of firings for big mess ups that are not dishonesty?
"Dozens" would mean at least 24.

I have worked at UPS for over 40 years. I am involved with the union, I go to meetings, I know what goes on in my center. I doubt we have had over a dozen firings for non-dishonesty infractions in 40 years.

Cardinal sins will get you fired, not honest mistakes..Physically threatening, violence, sexual harassment, serious accidents etc.

If you want to constantly live in fear for your job, fine. But why do you feel the need to try to scare every driver who has a question about discipline?

And obviously you were never fired for running out of fuel. Your supervisor may have tried to fool you into believing you could be....But he would be full of it.
And so?

Yes dozens....

Now read carefully....

Think hard...

I've seen it many, many times.....guy gets fired.....he's/she's off for weeks......yes, they come back.....WITHOUT PAY!

See?

Now, getting fired may be semantics......fair enough. But getting walked out of the gate and badge taken could be another(happens all the time).

We had a guy go just through that for several weeks.....he was "accused" of time stealing......in the end he came back to work through a local hearing.....WITHOUT BACK PAY! I have seen this countless times....dozens....yes 24.

And all this claiming that I've been tricked........fooled.....see above.