Made to clock out a finish job

celsiana

I've talked to several Union Reps and they say this issue was brought up on panel and we lost for Part timers. So why isn't Full timers having this issue.
The issue is. We are short handed of about 5 people. The rest of us are required to do thier work but after 5 hours clock out and then clock back in and finish the work in which we have to finish within 3 hrs. This is the same job not two different shifts.

NO overtime allowed! Kinda like double shifting but no break inbetween.

So what I'm wondering is. What would stop them from making say a driver who reaches his 8th hour of delivering but still have some stops and Pickups to do. Clock out and then clock back in to finsh the delivery?

Are any other Parttimers doing this?

Would it be because drivers or Full timeres can't double shift? Is that the catch?

This is just not right.

Braveheart

Not on my watch. If its the same shift, meaning reload for 5 hrs then clock back in and you are still doing outbound reload its overtime period. I always did this every xmas and was told no despite 1 or 2 hour lunch break. I FILED A GRVC AND WON THE BACK. THEY NEVER MESSED WITH ME AGAIN. FILE FILE FILE I DONT CARE IF ITS PRELOAD AND PRELOAD AGAIN. ITS OT AFTER 5 PERIOD!!!!!!!!

disneyworld

I've talked to several Union Reps and they say this issue was brought up on panel and we lost for Part timers. So why isn't Full timers having this issue.
The issue is. We are short handed of about 5 people. The rest of us are required to do thier work but after 5 hours clock out and then clock back in and finish the work in which we have to finish within 3 hrs. This is the same job not two different shifts.

So what I'm wondering is. What would stop them from making say a driver who reaches his 8th hour of delivering but still have some stops and Pickups to do. Clock out and then clock back in to finsh the delivery?

Would it be because drivers or Full timeres can't double shift? Is that the catch?

This is just not right.
Is there any language in the contract that says they have to pay OT after 5HRs? Drivers are paid OT after 8 hrs and I have never been told to punch out at 8 and punch back in.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This is just not right.

No, this doesn't sound right at all. What part of the country are you in and what does your Supplemental Contract say about this? I can't believe the Union doesn't get your overtime pay, We always got ours if we went over 5 hours or pulled a double shift back when I was part-time.:confused:1

Braveheart

in my contract its ot after 5 hrs unless its 2 jobs like preload and then air driving, or reload then carwash, or reload then later preload. MAKE THEM PUT UP THE ONCE A MONTH EXTRA WORK LIST AND THEN IF U DONT TRUST THEM SHOW UP FOR THE EXTRA WORK AND FILE IF THEY DONT WORK U!!!!!!!!ITS YOUR CONTRACT AND YOUR UNION USE THEM!!!!

trickpony1

I would consult the union business agent and/or president regarding this and when I got done there I would consult your state department of labor.
It appears a supervisor is trying to make his numbers look good.
If I recall, there was a lawsuit involving employees at an internationally known discount store (use your imagination) being forced to finish their jobs off the clock.
If all else fails, demand an hour lunch in between the "shifts". this should screw up the timeline to where management won't do it any more.
This has a really strong stench of falsification.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I've talked to several Union Reps and they say this issue was brought up on panel and we lost for Part timers.

You talked to the wrong union reps. This is the reason we have contracts, and this type of BS is a pure violation of the contract. Period.

So keep digging, and keep records. They will have to pay you OT.

d

wkmac

All good advice given but I want to throw something out to the group here on this. It's been awhile since I read the language on what I'm about to suggest but another way to approach this is to keep doing as they tell you and do your dead level best to work up to the 8 hr. mark everyday. Make em' think you're a good little robot and make them comfortable in doing what they're doing. Continue this for 30 plus days and then file to have the job converted to a fulltime position. You may not get the job itself but it will open the door and move you closer to a FT shot if you should prevail.

JMO.

mittam

This is just not right.
If your rep won't take your case go over his head call the hall go to someone over top of that if you have to keep pushing it is a clear violation,

Braveheart

Good idea. In my local you can go back 90 days for back pay. But its not a guarantee however. Read your supplement contract to see.

teamsterdan

"All good advice given but I want to throw something out to the group here on this. It's been awhile since I read the language on what I'm about to suggest but another way to approach this is to keep doing as they tell you and do your dead level best to work up to the 8 hr. mark everyday. Make em' think you're a good little robot and make them comfortable in doing what they're doing. Continue this for 30 plus days and then file to have the job converted to a fulltime position. You may not get the job itself but it will open the door and move you closer to a FT shot if you should prevail."

EXCELLENT ADVICE......this is the tactic I used to help create several 22.3 jobs....using the company's own games against them.........

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
One thing you must remember is that some supervision will do anything to make their numbers look "good".

If they tell you to punch out and then punch back in, just punch out and walk out the door. Your shifts over and you did not volunteer to work an additional shift. You and the rest of the preload do that one day and they will be paying you OT the next...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
just punch out and walk out the door

Be very careful using that idea. It might be you will be at the panel to get your job back.

While it might be a long shot, I do like the idea of keeping the records and seeing if you can make a full time position out of the part time.

You want to get the point across to your local management team, let them explain to the labor managers in the region why they have had to create several more full time jobs in their center instead of the current part time ones. I would love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.

d

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
In our contract you don't have to work over 5 hours. I have walked after 5 hours before and all they said was "So, that's how you're going to play it?"
No reprocussions whatsoever.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Where does it say in your contract that your day is over after 5 hours? It only says that it is overtime after 5.

d

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
I don't know, but I asked my steward at the time because it was affecting my day job being there until 11:30 or midnight and getting up at 5am. He said since I'm PT they can't require me to work more than 5 hours. I started punching out at 11 and going home done or not. Never even got formally spoken to. I did it for a month straight. I'll try to find it for you all.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It would seem like if UPS wanted to, they could get you on job abandonment if they had work to do that is classified as your job, and after 5 hours you just left.

Now if they are working with you so you can keep your other job, then that is different. But I would sure as heck keep records of the dates you left before your shift ended to show a pattern should you get new supervision that is not that obliging.

d

trickpony1

Why don't all the hourly employees sell everything they own, estrange themselves from their families and loved ones and live in tents in the parking lot? Then we could all be available when the company snaps it's fingers.

That may be a condition of employment in the next contract.

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
It would seem like if UPS wanted to, they could get you on job abandonment if they had work to do that is classified as your job, and after 5 hours you just left.

Now if they are working with you so you can keep your other job, then that is different. But I would sure as heck keep records of the dates you left before your shift ended to show a pattern should you get new supervision that is not that obliging.

d
Danny,
That may have been my saving grace. They had 2 full time wash positions that they never attempted to fill. So, they kept us after the sort to do wash too. Needless to say, I ended up quitting when they refused to work with me on scheduling and I moved further north and got a job with another center. I left on really good terms though.
The day I put in my notice the sup said "Wow, is there anything we can do to keep you?" I replied with "Sir, You're a day late and a dollar short."

He still asks about me and checks with my dad to see if I want my job back. I used him as a reference for the job in the other center, where I'm currently employed.