Magic Christmas

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Re: Glen Beck at DHL home

Christmas means different things to different people. For christians obviously the birth of Christ is central, but for a lot of people it's just sort of a winter holiday with a tradition of gift giving. For me it's a paid day off after a month of hard work and a chance for a nice family get together. I guess Glen Beck sees it as an opportunity for some more self promotion.

JustTired

free at last.......

Maybe cuz people can SEE Santa??? Presents and gifts are real, magic not so much.

Just sayin'.....

I guess I don't quite understand the "magic" comment.
Have you ever seen a photo of George Washington? Maybe he didn't exist either.

I'm no religious fanatic........
Just sayin'......

over9five

Staff member

I guess I don't quite understand the "magic" comment.
Have you ever seen a photo of George Washington? Maybe he didn't exist either.

I'm no religious fanatic........
Just sayin'......

Magic, you know....rising from the dead, curing disease with a touch of his robes, parting of seas,etc etc etc.
If I said I could do all that, most people would (reasonably) expect a demonstration. BUT, give them an old book that says someone did it 2000 years ago THEN it's totally believable.

moreluck

golden ticket member

You forgot the most important.......changing water into wine!!!
That Dude partied with thousands with sushi hors d'oeuvres and crusty from Panera bread!!

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Don’t Let the Cookies Crumble

I recently spoke with Heidi, owner and cookie creator of Heidi’s Heavenly Cookies in Alpharetta, Ga., about packing and shipping tips. During the holiday season Heidi’s company ships more than 500 packages a day. Heidi says, “It is imperative for our reputation and our customers that the gift recipients receive our cookies at optimum freshness. Since we don’t add preservatives, we ensure that the cookies arrive at their destination within two days.” Check out what Heidi has to say about packing and shipping her “sinfully delectable” baked goods this holiday season. Happy Holidays!

bbsam

Staff member

Magic, you know....rising from the dead, curing disease with a touch of his robes, parting of seas,etc etc etc.
If I said I could do all that, most people would (reasonably) expect a demonstration. BUT, give them an old book that says someone did it 2000 years ago THEN it's totally believable.
C.S. Lewis wrote a fascinating piece on that. If one is to read it (even with a closed mind) it's hard not to come away questioning one's preconceived notions.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Merry CHRISTmas!!!

[video=youtube;o89iKsKw19M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o89iKsKw19M[/video]

[video=youtube;4iiryJwvDtc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iiryJwvDtc[/video]

Catatonic

Nine Lives

You forgot the most important.......changing water into wine!!!
That Dude partied with thousands with sushi hors d'oeuvres and crusty from Panera bread!!
The Lord loves the drinkin' man.
He sends honky-tonk angels to the Promised Land,
I hear that he can turn water to wine.
Any man that can do that, oh he's good friend of mine.
I've been baptized in beer, I'm here to testify,
I was speakin' in tongues when I came home last night.

over9five

Staff member

C.S. Lewis wrote a fascinating piece on that. If one is to read it (even with a closed mind) it's hard not to come away questioning one's preconceived notions.

Another book of magic? No thanks. I'd love to be a believer, but I'd need to see some proof.
Otherwise, it's just anothe santa, easter bunny, yeti....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Another book of magic? No thanks. I'd love to be a believer, but I'd need to see some proof.
As much as I would love for you to believe, my friend.

There's one thing about this statement I'd like to touch upon. Jesus DID physically exist, so why not read what the BOOK says and see for yourself? If you read this BOOK and still feel it's a bunch of hooey, at least you will have gained knowledge and have reference to what everyone else is talking about. I'm sure that you read other books, whether they be fiction/non-fiction, and have come away with new insight, so try it, what harm can it do?

BTW, does Mrs. 9/5 feel the same way you do?

Back to the thread......I'm really cautious when I listen to any news media. Each outlet/person is free to put their own slant on any story.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

There's one thing about this statement I'd like to touch upon. Jesus DID physically exist, so why not read what the BOOK says and see for yourself? If you read this BOOK and still feel it's a bunch of hooey, at least you will have gained knowledge and have reference to what everyone else is talking about. I'm sure that you read other books, whether they be fiction/non-fiction, and have come away with new insight, so try it, what harm can it do?

Back to the thread......I'm really cautious when I listen to any news media. Each outlet/person is free to put their own slant on any story.
Actually there's some pretty well supported research that suggests otherwise.

bbsam

Staff member

Not trying to convert, but to be honest it is a book more on logic and critical thinking than anything.

wkmac

So what if she doesn't Steve, what would that prove? I don't go to church, have no use for any organized religion whatsoever and yet on the best of days I might be a deist at best. At the same time, my wife goes to church, my 19 year old daughter is a guitarist in the church band and when that opportunity arose, I was the one who encouraged her because it was something she wanted to do and the experience would help her.

The only thing this all proves is that I don't dominate their thinking for them and let them seek their own belief system and I'm not threatened at all if they think different than I. My wife is a libertarian but she's not gone the distance to philosophical anarchism like I have either and yet again, I've got no problem with that either. To turn the question on it's head, do you not believe anything unless first your wife believes it as well? Something "whipped" would then come to mind would it not?

And on a christmas note which I've not celebrated since the late 70's, my avatar has a christmas connection thus the reason I've used it.

Well, time to head to work (Super Saturday) so that so many of you can go our and committ Consumercide!
:happy-very:

bbsam

Staff member

There was a time when such questions and probing seemed deep and philosophical to me. Now they seem sophomoric and self-promoting not in the asking of the question, but in the tone. They are not questions in search of answers. They are questions posed to reinforce the questioner's position. It is not searching the nature of God but rather defining how God must act if God exists and if he does not, then he does not.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There was a time when such questions and probing seemed deep and philosophical to me. Now they seem sophomoric and self-promoting not in the asking of the question, but in the tone. They are not questions in search of answers. They are questions posed to reinforce the questioner's position. It is not searching the nature of God but rather defining how God must act if God exists and if he does not, then he does not.
I'll take that to mean you don't have a good answer :wink2: