Make it work or else...

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
So I walked past a conference room yesterday and heard our DM yelling at the center manager and on-cars,"Make Orion work or I'll hire new sups who can."

Awww, are you starting to realize we threw millions in the toilet?

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I'm doing my part on a daily basis. I follow ORION as close to 100% as possible. Miles have increased by an average of 20 a day, which means they must decrease my stop count to avoid 9.5 issues. Win/Win in my book!

mjjlohn

For certain routes I've found PORTIONS of Orion to be good, the problem is our dispatch using old EDD sequencing. Square pegs round hole....

T

TheBrownGuy

Fixing EDD sequencing will not fix Orion (as the ORION algorithms are now written).
A well sequenced Regular Delivery Order (EDD/RDO) will far surpass ORION if the criteria for success is reducing hours worked, safety, and customer satisfaction. The only objective of ORION is reducing miles, and on my route (which is very well sequenced) it adds 10-40 miles a day. I have had 3 days when running ORION added over 50 miles to my route.

Apparently our CEO thinks ORION will help solve our Peak volume issues for next year:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-30/ups-says-profit-fell-8-5-after-holiday-shipping-surge.html
“We did not meet the service standards UPS historically does at Christmas,” Davis said. “We will make the necessary investments to insure we effectively manage peak demand in the future.”

UPS, which today reported an 8.5 percent drop in fourth-quarter earnings, is expediting the introduction of technology that helps makes delivery routes more efficient and reduces miles driven; improving communication with shippers; and stepping up expansion of some facilities. The Atlanta-based company’s revenue for the quarter trailed analysts’ estimates.

T

TheBrownGuy

Can you imagine trying to use ORION during peak! Trying to grab stops from the back shelves when you are bricked-out?

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
When you have 5 stops on the same busy road all on the right side of the road and it has you going from 420 to 380 to 440 to 390 to 398 it might be a clue that he system is not working out well.

My on car was with me the other day to show me how to do it and to follow it stop for stop, WELL. We did it 98% it was a planned 8.8 day we did it in tidy 11.2. My miles were up 22 from what I do and I used to do all of 70 to 74 a day.

This morning I was in the office with the center manager and they asked to explain the problem..... I said no problem I followed orion to the T so I must have had a perfect day right. Thank god I got the day off my head was hurting after talking to him.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
If it would help at peak they wouldn't have suspended use of it during last peak. Jmo
This is why I think we're in trouble. If ORION works it will eliminate many miles and therefore eliminate routes and cars. But as you correctly stated ORION is turned off at peak causing higher miles for the same area. The end result will be an explosion in stops combined with increased miles at peak. I don't see any willingness to plan for, or even acknowledge ORION's peak dilemma.

T

TheBrownGuy

They didn't turn it off in my center, but they "tweaked" it so it followed EDD/RDO nearly to a tee. There are many, many ways to implement ORION. They tried them all on my route. We had a big meeting between the head ORION guy, an operations manager and an old school IE route sequencer and me, because ORION was failing so miserably on my route. They had tried every technique possible to make ORION work to no avail. I suspect if other drivers don't "MAKE ORION WORK" and just run it, or not run it, they will eventually see they need to re-write the algorithms.

Pkgcar1988

They don't necessarily "shut it off", just tell you not to use it, but after all the beat down the last couple of weeks I will follow year round.

Pkgcar1988

The problem is if everyone would follow it 90-100% it doesn't save miles on 90% of the routes in my building. The problem is we have drivers out trying to beat the miles and stay above 85% which will only mean more work on those routes!!!!

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I bet money that before the meeting, the DM got a call from Atlanta telling the DM to make it work or Atlanta will find a new DM. %&$# rolls down hill.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So I walked past a conference room yesterday and heard our DM yelling at the center manager and on-cars,"Make Orion work or I'll hire new sups who can."

Awww, are you starting to realize we threw millions in the toilet?

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So something is up with the regular site not lettin me reply like normal.

I'm glad I'm on this site and know about Orion. There are going to be so many drivers blind sided at my center. Poor guys.