Management after Christmas

box_beeyotch

Hey cover driver. Read your contract. Seniority is seniority PT or FT. You will be loading trailers for $10/hr.

Yeah and my contract states as a full time permanent employee I'm guaranteed 8 hours regardless. Also I have more seniority than almost every local sorter, not to mention we still make driver wage when working inside in my local. Thanks for your concern though.

PT Car Washer

Yeah and my contract states as a full time permanent employee I'm guaranteed 8 hours regardless. Also I have more seniority than almost every local sorter, not to mention we still make driver wage when working inside in my local. Thanks for your concern though.
That is great, except you are still laid off. How many times have you been laid off after Peak?

PT Car Washer

Never yet. This is first post peak as a driver. Started in May of this year, so I'm not too familiar with how things go, I just want to make sure I work somehow.
Okay I see what you are up against. Going to be a lot of new drivers in your situation. You are still guaranteed your 8 hours. Lock down that rate of pay. Everything is seniority based. Even working 3 days a week driving is not too bad. Could be tight until around Spring Break and vacations start kicking in. Just part of the ritual.

box_beeyotch

Okay I see what you are up against. Going to be a lot of new drivers in your situation. You are still guaranteed your 8 hours. Lock down that rate of pay. Everything is seniority based. Even working 3 days a week driving is not too bad. Could be tight until around Spring Break and vacations start kicking in. Just part of the ritual.

Yeah you're not kidding, I'll take 3 days. The good news for me is in my few months I know almost 20 routes and I cover a loop where each driver likes at least one day off a week.

PT Car Washer

Yeah you're not kidding, I'll take 3 days. The good news for me is in my few months I know almost 20 routes and I cover a loop where each driver likes at least one day off a week.
We have a lot of new drivers that have only driven one or two routes. Combined with the new driver sups who don't know much either to try and train someone you may be in a good spot. Hang in there and don't go out and buy that new Escalade just yet.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I have tons of stress from the many things I've bit off from extra responsibilities I've taken on over the years. I just take It in stride. I have good friends and supporters an iPod of over 15,000 songs and unlimited wifi to stream radio. It helps me zone out of the everyday grind.
Yeah, that's the thing I'm looking forward to about getting my helper back off my truck is getting back into my groove where I don't have to accommodate anyone.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Yeah, that's the thing I'm looking forward to about getting my helper back off my truck is getting back into my groove where I don't have to accommodate anyone.
I don't mind the helper at all. As long as you have a good helper its cool. I got a good one, hes on it. Knows how to use the diad like a pro now pretty much and got homeboy helping me sort out developments too. I like the company, cool to have somebody to hang out with and talk too. I always have fun with the jumpers, like hanging out all day but delivering stuff, kinda fun really instead of by yourself being bored out of your mind with this staleasczz job lol.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Don't get me wrong--I work well with my helper and wouldn't be able to get off as many stops without him. I just also enjoy being out on my own and if I want to listen to Howard Stern for a few hours in the morning I don't have to worry if I'm boring the hell out of an 18 year old kid.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Don't get me wrong--I work well with my helper and wouldn't be able to get off as many stops without him. I just also enjoy being out on my own and if I want to listen to Howard Stern for a few hours in the morning I don't have to worry if I'm boring the hell out of an 18 year old kid.
Same here. When mine shows up we can smash it. I actually punched out at 17:40, firstr time ever in my driver life! And of course this would be like the first time ever we were treated to a full course catered meal, thanks to local 377 officials, and I was gone!
But yes, I enjoy my radio, but my helper is awesome.

One of the nice things about our job it the time we get to be out there on our own. I know we have to deal with customers and you and I signed up for some extra stuff in the calls but it's nice to listen to the radio and have time out there by your self.