Christmas Eve flip/flop?

AKCoverMan

Technically, it was a bad address. It had a bad zip, but it had the city name right. I knew that city well, so I ran it. When I got back to the building, everyone in my center was gone home. They actually had food for the employees, but it was a box of crumbs by the time I got there.
So one Christmas Eve I was working a split route out in a Rural area and end up with a Misload about thirty minutes in the wrong direction from the building… and it was so obviously a box for Christmas from relatives in lower 48.

So I headed out there… pulled in the yard about 2100ish and this family is doing Christmas on Christmas Eve…it’s kinds a Norman Rockwell picture moment you know? I go “Not so fast there folks, we got one more important package here! Merry Christmas!“ They loaded me up with snacks and I headed back to the center. I was rally glad I made the effort to go out there.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
So one Christmas Eve I was working a split route out in a Rural area and end up with a Misload about thirty minutes in the wrong direction from the building… and it was so obviously a box for Christmas from relatives in lower 48.
This stop was just like that. A package wrapped in brown paper, hand written address. In a VERY rural area. It was after 2300. I didn't want to approach a house in that situation. I got on my horn. Dog was barking at me. Directly, a little old lady about 75 years old came out to my package car. I told her I had a package for her from California. She told me it was from her nieces, and that she thought they had forgotten about her. I told her, no, they did not forget about you. She started crying. The helper and I started crying. It was a real blubberfest. It made her Christmas, and I was glad I made the effort. That was when Service was our last name.

AKCoverMan

This stop was just like that. A package wrapped in brown paper, hand written address. In a VERY rural area. It was after 2300. I didn't want to approach a house in that situation. I got on my horn. Dog was barking at me. Directly, a little old lady about 75 years old came out to my package car. I told her I had a package for her from California. She told me it was from her nieces, and that she thought they had forgotten about her. I told her, no, they did not forget about you. She started crying. The helper and I started crying. It was a real blubberfest. It made her Christmas, and I was glad I made the effort. That was when Service was our last name.
Service still in the name. Up to individual drivers to make it happen. In spite of ups.

Pullman Brown

One Christmas eve, I had a misload in another state and got a level 3 clearance from corporate to use their highly sophisticated drone. It was a box of chocolates!

textat3

My worst Christmas eve, my helper and I worked till 11:30 pm. Back when service actually meant something, we were told to deliver ALL Christmas looking packages. I got a misload which not only wasn't in my area, but didn't even go to our building. 2 hour round trip to deliver it. In feeders, I don't remember ever working a Christmas eve. We were always laid off that day.
Unless you were told to run that misload, that would have gotten you fired around here.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs

The next work day: "Why were you 40 miles over on 12/14? Fired for stealing time."

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .

So I headed out there… pulled in the yard about 2100ish and this family is doing Christmas on Christmas Eve…it’s kinds a Norman Rockwell picture moment you know? I go “Not so fast there folks, we got one more important package here! Merry Christmas!“ They loaded me up with snacks and I headed back to the center. I was rally glad I made the effort to go out there.
I love this! You made their day and they made your day in return.

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
Very cool! I would be like you and never forget this!