Management Buy-out and Pension cut

A

Anonymous 5

Upsers.com - as of 10am EST. "SVSO".
Audio message from JB. Corporate and SCS only - no other details until the meeting this afternoon. Anyone over 50 with 10 years of service as of Feb 28, 2007.

slyfox

To alwaysaware:
Apparantly you are not as aware as you think.
At last check, 50% of UPS stock is publicly owned.
The 10% that you are referring to is what was initially released to the public at our IPO. That has since changed.

waldo911

Date: December 11, 2006
To: Corporate Campus UPSers
Subj: Voluntary Separation Opportunity Web Cast

Please log on to UPSers.com to access an important audio Web cast by COO John Beystehner announcing a one-time Special Voluntary Separation Opportunity.

To access the Web cast, go the UPSers.com homepage and click on the Special Voluntary Separation Opportunity link.

If you are not a registered user of UPSers.com, follow these steps:
1) Go to UPSers.com
2) Enter your Employee ID number
3) Enter your initial password; it is:
-- The first two letters of your last name (lowercase)
-- The last two digits of your birth year
-- The last two digits of your Employee ID number

If you have problems logging on to UPSers.com or accessing the Web cast, please see your manager.

waldo911

There is currently an e-mail stating that there will be a webcast reviewing a "Special Voluntary Separation Opportunity".
This will show up on UPSers.com some time today.

Rumor is that only Corp. people will be in the separation group.

traveler

Where next? Venice
Thanks for the post with all the scoop.

As anyone can see, little of what he rumor mill turned out was true. This seems to be a buy out of folks working with companies that were acquired by UPS, duplicating existing management...

I guess the case is closed on this one.

jersey

It will be interesting to see what the offer is to the eligible people.If it is not the formula plan that some of us have heard then i'm sure there will be more announcements after Christmas.They usually have them in january.At least the major consolidation and original ero in 1995 were.

Cezanne

Rats, I was hoping for something more jucier, spoiled again. Of course if this shoots the stock up a couple of dollars on wall street look for SVSO II.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Just another quick blurb from Reuters....stock is down a few cents in after hours trading...It shouldn't be to my way of thinking. Eliminating redundant positions is a positive thing.

Reuters
UPS says it is offering voluntary buyouts to 650 workers
Monday December 11, 4:18 pm ET
CHICAGO (Reuters) - United Parcel Service Inc. said on Monday it was offering voluntary buyout packages to 650 employees.
UPS, the world's largest package delivery company characterized the move as the latest part of its ongoing effort to "eliminate redundant positions."
The company said the impact of the buyouts on its finances would not be known until after January 29, 2007, when the buyout offer's election period expires.

To alwaysaware:
Apparantly you are not as aware as you think.
At last check, 50% of UPS stock is publicly owned.
The 10% that you are referring to is what was initially released to the public at our IPO. That has since changed.
To SlyFox - I stand corrected. Yes - Much stock is now in public hands. Quite a bit was transfreered by employees. I should now call myself Mildy Aware. Thanks.

Anyway - it looks like the offer goes to those SCS people that we picked up (myabe many should stay) and the ones from UPS who couldn't swim back to shore.

Still wondering what 2007 holds - pension, pension, pension - that's what I hear....

hangin455

Well the only announcement I've seen is on Supply Chain Solutions for 650 employees. Nothing near what's been speculated upon here.

Brown Beamer

The buyout also includes 20/10 UPS employees not just SCS, I should know since I am one of them. My department would take a 15% to 20% reduction if the offer is widely accepted. The general consensus within the group was flat.

We went through the initial presentation this afternoon. The PowerPoint was "light" on details but, the pension is still intact.
Basically, one week for every year of service, one additional month, and any unused 2007 vacation. This looks a lot like the 1995 offering.

There was a mention of reduced pension (basically the further from 55 the greater the reduction plus) with a "lump sum" to help make up the difference. Of course we did not get the formula on the conference call and it was the only question asked. Next Day Air packets are being delivered to our home address tomorrow with the exact details.

corp

Look for the stock to stay flat or go down further on this move. You'll see early retirees dumping it soon after leaving. The steady stream of sales have been depressing this stock for some time.

Even though they're not here yet, expect the pension and health care cuts to come later. It all comes in dribs and drabs...slow bleeding.

DS

Fenderbender
Just another quick blurb from Reuters....stock is down a few cents in after hours trading...It shouldn't be to my way of thinking. Eliminating redundant positions is a positive thing
That would be the major shareholders.
UPS has to go back to its roots
and take off from where it went bad.
Maybe the I E guy is expendable,maybe PAS was a mistake.
Maybe it was bad to go public.
Maybe the expense of tracking packages has become more important than simply delivering them.
I`ve often thought that even front line mngmt could be eliminated
if they let the drivers run the ship.
We are going into our 100th year with no real spirit.
They should do something big like offer free shipping to repeat customers ,in a daily free shipping raffle.They should also use thier part timers in a way that us drivers could see our familys now and then.
Ok I`m done

B

bystander

Just curious. Anyone know what the actual offering is? Do you suppose this is just round one? IMO---I think there will be more in 2007.