Management EBO-Rumor

upandcomer

I know that I recently posted that I heard nothing about buyouts in 2010. I decided to reach out to more old contacts in Atlanta.....

I can guarantee that the rumors of district and region consilidations are true. Lots of people are working feverishly to get the planning done. I spoke to people that knew the exact number, but they would not say.

Again, this would mostly affect the staff functions.

I am also very, very certain that a big announcement is coming the first week in January. Expect a video to be played on January 7.

Whether that is a buyout or not, no one really knows for sure. The buyout rumors are getting very strong as well and maybe that is the January 7 announcement??

Right now, its looking like January 4th is a district consolidation announcement and January 7th is another one (likely buyouts??)

P-Man

The January 7th announcement could be a number of things. Starting back up the 401k match? I assume that will be happening as FedEx is doing that. I wonder if it will be a big ra, ra video? Take some stuff, give some stuff kind of situation.

upandcomer

One other thing, what Region offices do you think will be left? I am assuming three regions.

I guess what I find interesting is what do they do with Chicago and Dallas? Both have Shared Services functions plus Dallas has Supply Chain Solutions. Which one do they close? Where does the work go?

It will be an interesting January for everyone on the corporate side.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Here is what I'm absolutely positive about. there will be many more district and region consolidations. This happened last year, and 1400 people were "freed up". The one this year will be at least as big.

I have heard from my DOL & Atlanta sources about a buyout for UPSDSOCKS.

A fund has been set up to get rid of him and so far we've raised $550. It doesn't seem like we want him to be gone that badly:happy2:

P-Man

hdkappler

Here is what I'm absolutely positive about. there will be many more district and region consolidations. This happened last year, and 1400 people were "freed up". The one this year will be at least as big.

I have heard nothing from my Atlanta sources about a buyout.

I wish I could guarantee you one way or another on this. My gut feeling is that there would NOT be a buyout. Here is why:

- There are no surprises in the economy. Its no worse or better than the management committee projected.
- Buyouts are expensive and previous ones have not produced great results
- Attrition is running at the same rate as previously projected

The management committee previously said no buyout is planned. Since nothing has really changed my guess is there is no buyout.get rid of dead wt.

I wish I had a definitive answer. I guess we will see.

P-Man
if they downsize the districtmgr.regional mgr.they could save some money that way.could save several millon dollars.

Braveheart

if they downsize the districtmgr.regional mgr.they could save some money that way.could save several millon dollars.
Our on road managers confirmed two districts here in the south are getting combined.

I hope they do the buyouts for the older managers.

We could use some new blood.

I wish they would do something to buyout the older drivers too.

Both sides have some T-Rex's that should move on.

It would lessen the blow to the bottom drivers who are about to be laid off.

pretender

Our on road managers confirmed two districts here in the south are getting combined.

I hope they do the buyouts for the older managers.

We could use some new blood.

I wish they would do something to buyout the older drivers too.

Both sides have some T-Rex's that should move on.

It would lessen the blow to the bottom drivers who are about to be laid off.

I am assuming that there are a lot of drivers like me--early to mid 50's with over 30 years of service. Most of us would leave tomorrow, but our 401ks/IRAs have not fully recovered. We always thought we could pick up another job to supplement our pension; but now we are not quite so certain...

However, I do believe the writing is on the wall. Even though we earn every penny of our $30 per hour, I don't think UPS can survive in the long term without drastic wage reductions.

Putting aside the contractual issues for the moment, what would it take for us "older" drivers to leave? I have no idea what the dollar amount has been in past management buyouts...Since I am dreaming anyway, $3000 per year of service would be the figure at which I would leave today.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
However, I do believe the writing is on the wall. Even though we earn every penny of our $30 per hour, I don't think UPS can survive in the long term without drastic wage reductions.

In my location, UPS just spent over half a million bucks wiring our trucks up to a Telematics system that gives management the ability to sit behind a desk and micromanage us down to the gnats ass.

Some of these vehicles were wired up...at a cost of $800 per vehicle...only to be immediately mothballed. As we speak, 4 of these vehicles are ADA'd and will be towed away and crushed, having never even used the Telematics system that was installed in them.

They probably spend $20 per day just on copy paper so that they can stick a Mapquest diagram in everybody's slot that shows where and when the package car moved 28 inches with an unlatched bulkhead door.

I recently participated in an AM meeting where I represented a driver who was being questioned over a 90 second discrepancy in his reported break time. The driver and I sat in the office for over half an hour... on overtime... to resolve this "issue".

As a company we will survive quite well without drastic wage reductions if we can simply find a way to cut the fat and bloat out of the managment ranks as well as reevaluating the wisdom of throwing huge sums of cash at technological gimmicks of dubious value.

pretzel_man

In my location, UPS just spent over half a million bucks wiring our trucks up to a Telematics system that gives management the ability to sit behind a desk and micromanage us down to the gnats ass.

Some of these vehicles were wired up...at a cost of $800 per vehicle...only to be immediately mothballed. As we speak, 4 of these vehicles are ADA'd and will be towed away and crushed, having never even used the Telematics system that was installed in them.

They probably spend $20 per day just on copy paper so that they can stick a Mapquest diagram in everybody's slot that shows where and when the package car moved 28 inches with an unlatched bulkhead door.

I recently participated in an AM meeting where I represented a driver who was being questioned over a 90 second discrepancy in his reported break time. The driver and I sat in the office for over half an hour... on overtime... to resolve this "issue".

As a company we will survive quite well without drastic wage reductions if we can simply find a way to cut the fat and bloat out of the managment ranks as well as reevaluating the wisdom of throwing huge sums of cash at technological gimmicks of dubious value.

The cost per unit is closer to $550 per car. This includes the telematics device, wiring, and installation.

Installing in a car that is going to be ADA'd seems stupid to me too. The device can be moved to the new vehicle, but the installation is throw away.

Finally, I certainly agree that having a discussion over 90 seconds is ridiculous. Discussions should be over patterns or big discrepancies.

That being said, Telematics sites have a very large improvement in performance, safety, and automotive costs vs. non-telematics sites.

Last year with 1,500 drivers that was true, and it is true this year with over 10,000. We will see if it holds true next year with many more drivers deploying.

The reason that UPS didn't just deploy this everywhere was that they wanted to analyze the changes in the test sites. It has been a slow and detailed analysis.

Dispite your belief that it is a "technological gimmick of dubious value", the cost statements say otherwise.

Again, I agree with you regarding the examples you cite, just not regarding the value of the tool.

P-Man

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
I predict something is done for those 55 plus - a financial nudge to move them on - of the management folk I know 55 or above they are hanging for 1-2 more years for a boost to their pensions - or for thier 401K and UPS Stock to re-inflate....the latter will happen - I think the company will try to bridge the pension gap.

If you figure in that you are no longer paying into your 401k, and some other stuff, plus you are probably in a lower tax bracket, your takehome should be about equal to your last working paycheck.

Plus, unless you have been living beyond your means, you should be able to live comfortably off your dividends, and pension, and not touch your 401K for a long while.

And the stock is up quite a bit from the $38 low. Again, unless you have been less than optimal with money management, you don't need to sell it right now, just live off the dividends.

Anyone with 30+ years should have NO PROBLEM retiring before age 60. Health care is the elephant in the room, and the retiree plan is just as good as the management plan.

deleted9

If you figure in that you are no longer paying into your 401k, and some other stuff, plus you are probably in a lower tax bracket, your takehome should be about equal to your last working paycheck.

Plus, unless you have been living beyond your means, you should be able to live comfortably off your dividends, and pension, and not touch your 401K for a long while.

And the stock is up quite a bit from the $38 low. Again, unless you have been less than optimal with money management, you don't need to sell it right now, just live off the dividends.

Anyone with 30+ years should have NO PROBLEM retiring before age 60. Health care is the elephant in the room, and the retiree plan is just as good as the management plan.

Great Post

sosocal

Great Post

all very true and logical.....and yet the company sits with thousands of these management people 55 and over -- that in some cases (NOT ALL) are making a lower contribution to the real success of the organization while receiving a disproportionate compensation package...In many ways I believe they have earned it and fought their battles (call it the mgt seniority complex)...but from an organizational standpoint It would be wise to get many of then off the active employee ledger.

Mapp

Choo Choo

I think UPS wages are just fine where they are aslong as the Gov't gets FedEx in check. If you drivers didn't make so much then Management wouldn't make so much.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Actually more than my regular paycheck by a couple hundred bucks.

Hopefully my pension check will not have these on it:
401k - regular and catch-up
Federal Tax (still some bu lower)
State tax (still some bu lower)
FICA
Health Plan payments
UPSPAC
United Way

A

an anonymous guest

Great post Techgirl...I would add only one thing and that is to have a prudent diversification plan to carry you forward....that has worked out most excellently for me (retired 5 years...can't believe it)

And I thought Hoaxter gas been around at least 40 years..he may never retire....

Go UPS!
P71

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Great post Techgirl...I would add only one thing and that is to have a prudent diversification plan to carry you forward....that has worked out most excellently for me (retired 5 years...can't believe it)

And I thought Hoaxter gas been around at least 40 years..he may never retire....

Go UPS!
P71

The gas has only started to be bad in the last few years.

and it's only 37 years now...my plan has been to work 40 years but we'll see.