Huge MIP changes announced soon

brownIEman

It's always funny to me when IBT people try to lecture us on how to run a company

With such business geniuses at hand, why even bother with UPS? They could start their own company and run us out of business with their brotherhood!

As I said in another thread, they could, but they wouldn't.

I have to chuckle when I see posts on this board complaining about management harassment that are some flavor of
"we would do better work and work even harder if you were nicer and didn't push and harass so much"
If the team concept did anything, it proved that that is total bull pucky.

It's as false and ignorant as when the anti union management zealots tell hourlies "we would be paying you even more if you didn't have a union"

brownIEman

No but it sure would be nice if the company took some suggestions from the hourlys. My stupid boss don't even know where my route is. So how can you tell me what I should be able to do or what areas fit on my route.

The sad reality is that management uses the hard-nosed you'll do as I say stance not because they are evil or stupid, but because it works. For far too many employees, it is the only thing that works.

Sadly many in management think that means taking any thing less than a hardline with any employee is a sign of weakness that will wind up biting them in the end. So the miss or ignore the few gems in their operation who they should listen to...

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Add I said in another thread, they could, but they wouldn't.

I have to chuckle when I see posts on this board complaining about management harassment that are some flavor of
"we would do better work and work even harder if you were nicer and didn't push and harass so much"

It's as false and ignorant as when the anti union management zealots tell hourlies "we would be paying you even more if you didn't have a union"
Bs. We’re talking about human beings and their quality of life. You get us to band together in an effort to “bring it in and get done,” trust me, we will, and WE DO.
There is absolutely zero sense of “team” at this place, unless it’s coming from the IBT. And you KNOW it.
Change the culture and see for yourself. You know the culture here is detrimental to the individual workers long term success.
We get milked like cows until we’re totally empty; then you wonder why we make suggestions to improve things?
We all know what we signed up for, we know we make great money, that doesn’t mean we rest on our morals and let the company walk all over us....like you do!
It’s our bodies and our time on the line
You’re not the one delivering toilet paper at 8 pm, of course you don’t “see the big deal”

As I said in another thread, they could, but they wouldn't.

I'm sure the company would get rid of our pension just like managements pension if we didn't have a union...

The sad reality is that management uses the hard-nosed you'll do as I say stance not because they are evil or stupid, but because it works. For far too many employees, it is the only thing that works.

Sadly many in management think that means taking any thing less than a hardline with any employee is a sign of weakness that will wind up biting them in the end. So the miss or ignore the few gems in their operation who they should listen to...
It's not my numbers it's theirs.
I don't argue with anybody You put it in my truck ill go out deliver it.

Last edited:

brownIEman

Bs. We’re talking about human beings and their quality of life. You get us to band together in an effort to “bring it in and get done,” trust me, we will, and WE DO.
There is absolutely zero sense of “team” at this place, unless it’s coming from the IBT. And you KNOW it.
Change the culture and see for yourself. You know the culture here is detrimental to the individual workers long term success.
We get milked like cows until we’re totally empty; then you wonder why we make suggestions to improve things?
We all know what we signed up for, we know we make great money, that doesn’t mean we rest on our morals and let the company walk all over us....like you do!
It’s our bodies and our time on the line
You’re not the one delivering toilet paper at 8 pm, of course you don’t “see the big deal”

Sorry, you're fighting upstream against human nature. You are wrong.
The team concept in the 90's was UPS changing the culture, and they did see. Got kicked in the teeth.
Is funny, some of the IBT propaganda undermining the team concept said to members you don't need a work team, you have the teamsters. Forced the company to change the language on training materials from work teams to work groups half way through.

Look, I know you believe what you're saying, but in most instances, your are wrong.
During an upswing in the constant production cycle, I remember a push to cut routes and put more stops on the car. One of the best CMs I ever worked with had had enough. He refused to cut 3 routes even though he'd been directly ordered to. On a Friday. He gave one of the most heartfelt PCMs I've ever heard. Told his drivers he knows the routes were getting too big, and he was taking a stand but he needed their help. Bring it in, reduce the paid day so he could defend himself and show it works. Several of them did. Most of them friend*kd him. Planned under 8 paid over 9.5 went off the charts and he got roasted.

I wish the world was the way you think it is and that fostering a team culture with hourlies would work and be allowed by the IBT. That's just not the way the world works

Sorry, you're fighting upstream against human nature. You are wrong.
The team concept in the 90's was UPS changing the culture, and they did see. Got kicked in the teeth.
Is funny, some of the IBT propaganda undermining the team concept said to members you don't need a work team, you have the teamsters. Forced the company to change the language on training materials from work teams to work groups half way through.

Look, I know you believe what you're saying, but in most instances, your are wrong.
During an upswing in the constant production cycle, I remember a push to cut routes and put more stops on the car. One of the best CMs I ever worked with had had enough. He refused to cut 3 routes even though he'd been directly ordered to. On a Friday. He gave one of the most heartfelt PCMs I've ever heard. Told his drivers he knows the routes were getting too big, and he was taking a stand but he needed their help. Bring it in, reduce the paid day so he could defend himself and show it works. Several of them did. Most of them friend*kd him. Planned under 8 paid over 9.5 went off the charts and he got roasted.

I wish the world was the way you think it is and that fostering a team culture with hourlies would work and be allowed by the IBT. That's just not the way the world works
But WHY did they friend him dude?
Because they’re pissed off from being over dispatched.
That’s great that the center manager gave a heartfelt speech, but talk is friend’ing cheap, and we’ve heard it all over the past 14 months.
It seems like you are suggesting that it’s beneficial for the company to exploit its employees, because we’re gonna be lazy no matter what?
There’s bad performers at every single job. There’s bad drs, there’s bad janitors, there’s sleazy car salesman.
I don’t understand the unwillingness to improve morale, based on
“Well, it doesn’t matter how we dispatch them, they all suck anyway”

brownIEman

But WHY did they friend him dude?
Because they’re pissed off from being over dispatched.
That’s great that the center manager gave a heartfelt speech, but talk is friend’ing cheap, and we’ve heard it all over the past 14 months.
It seems like you are suggesting that it’s beneficial for the company to exploit its employees, because we’re gonna be lazy no matter what?
There’s bad performers at every single job. There’s bad drs, there’s bad janitors, there’s sleazy car salesman.
I don’t understand the unwillingness to improve morale, based on
“Well, it doesn’t matter how we dispatch them, they all suck anyway”

Yes, they friend d him because they were pissed at being over dispatched. He presented them a way out, plan to reduce the over dispatch. Instead of working with him, they spat in his face. They were so mad, they fcked him AND themselves. He got moved out of the center and you can bet your @ss the next manager never bucked the raising SPC directives.

What I'm saying is UPS' business model is to pay their drivers way more than anyone else in the industry, then beat them like rented mules to get their monies worth.
And sadly, the model works. Efforts have been made to change that model and the culture, and they've always resulted in increased cost and decreased production and service and decreased revenue.

Yes, they friend d him because they were pissed at being over dispatched. He presented them a way out, plan to reduce the over dispatch. Instead of working with him, they spat in his face. They were so mad, they fcked him AND themselves. He got moved out of the center and you can bet your @ss the next manager never bucked the raising SPC directives.

What I'm saying is UPS' business model is to pay their drivers way more than anyone else in the industry, then beat them like rented mules to get their monies worth.
And sadly, the model works. Efforts have been made to change that model and the culture, and they've always resulted in increased cost and decreased production and service and decreased revenue.
I don’t disagree with anything you just said. I just think the company’s strategy is ultimately to put a ban daid on cancer. And that’s detrimental to everybody’s success. Yours, mine, Atlanta’s.
More injuries than ever. Less enthusiasm to do the job. Contractual agreements being abused (paying out 9.5’s rather than actually lowering dispatch). Delivery drivers are in demand. It’s going to bite us in the butt
Maybe not right now as we enjoy the fruits of relentless covid labor, but that stock number, where it’s at currently, isn’t indicative of future success; and something’s gotta give.

Karma...

It's always funny to me when IBT people try to lecture us on how to run a company

With such business geniuses at hand, why even bother with UPS? They could start their own company and run us out of business with their brotherhood!
Teamster stock is doing well along with their pension and health plans.....Make no mistake the Teamsters are a business until the U.S. government takes over.

Karma...

At some point pension plans will have to balance the money going out with the money coming in tempered with increased life spans.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
It’s necessary to have management
It’s not necessary to have managers who watch the managers who watch the managers
Better, not bigger? Hire drivers, cut fat

I agree with you on too many managers, but where do we cut managers or supervisors (Operations side) IE managers, PFT Team Managers. We are supposed to use technology to get better..I can expand on that GEM in another post.

Hire drivers where they are needed, but I guarantee you the paid day will not change much as the drivers need the paycheck to be as near 9.5 everyday cause they got bills to pay.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I agree with you on too many managers, but where do we cut managers or supervisors (Operations side) IE managers, PFT Team Managers. We are supposed to use technology to get better..I can expand on that GEM in another post.

Hire drivers where they are needed, but I guarantee you the paid day will not change much as the drivers need the paycheck to be as near 9.5 everyday cause they got bills to pay.

Start at the corporate level...eliminate redundant positions...hire from the outside with “work at will” contracted experienced executives who are already millionaires and have nothing else to gain.

The writing is on the wall with the elimination of the vesting into the UPS Retirement Plan in 2023. This pandemic has thrown a wrench into any future negotiations with the Teamsters, the term essential workers will be in play come 2023.
The Company will have to deal with a new leadership in the International, Hoffa will be gone and most of his crew will probably retire or turn.

If these senior drivers can not survive on 8 hours a day, 40 hours a pay week they are overspending. It kills me when I see some of them limping off their cars after working a 12 hour day not knowing what they are doing to their bodies, most will leave on disability before they become eligible for any sort of pension.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Start at the corporate level...eliminate redundant positions...hire from the outside with “work at will” contracted experienced executives who are already millionaires and have nothing else to gain.
"Nothing else to gain"
Man you don't understand people at all do you, you think greed stops at a number?