Management EBO-Rumor

pretzel_man

P-Man, I would hope that you would agree that Sober does have a point in that, since the implementation of PAS/EDD, it would be much easier for a replacement driver to come in, pick up a DIAD and, with minimal training, deliver an area. Did the strike advance implementation of PAS/EDD?

Upstate:

First, Sober said that this was the purpose of the system. That is absolutely not true. That I know for a fact....

Your question brings opinion into play. Does DPS / PAS / EDD make it easier to bring in a replacement driver? Maybe... My personal opinion is that there is much more to doing the UPS job than this base knowledge. In fact, I believe that this is one of the reasons many sites did poorly.

A preloader needs to know safe work methods, how to handle packages, how to lip load, how to snake a load, when to drop packages to the floor, etc.

A driver needs to know how and when to break trace, how to get to a stop, where to meet the customer, how to gain attention, etc, etc.

DPS / PAS was meant to simplify the job, not to deskill it. I know many corporate people that emphasize this. There are so much more to the methods than just the knowledge units.

I think the vast majority of our drivers are awesome. Done right, these systems help drivers do a better job. I have never viewed this as something that can make their replacement easier.

As I said, that's a matter of opinion. I just gave mine.

Did the strike advance the systems? No.... Again, that one I know.

P-Man

randomUPSISer

I can believe pretzel that they werent mean to "deskill" the job.

If UPS wants to deskill a job, they will flat out say it. In a certain very large automated UPS hub there is a system called "Deskill" that came out to remove the vast amounts of knowledge employees needed in order to perform run-outs to the aircraft. THAT system was meant to "deskill" the employees!

island1fox

:wink2:It seems like many people are looking for a buyout announcement in early Jan.
Common sense would tells us this will not happen .
Many management people of retirement age wait until Jan to announce retirement for the additional six weeks vacation.
The last and only buyout in the 90's was announced at a mgmt conference in late March.
What they will announce early in the year are consolidations --they know the faster the better for 2010.Maybe another Region and a few districts .

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
What does it mean regional and district consolidations? Sorry I'm new to this and I don't know.:happy2:

Consolidation means that 2 or 3 districts will be reduced to 1 district.
This mainly reduces support staffing such as Staff Level Managers and other support personnel.
Same thing applies to Region except that almost all personnel in a Region is support personnel.
Anyone involved in the actual processing of packages will be unaffected.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
:wink2:It seems like many people are looking for a buyout announcement in early Jan.
Common sense would tells us this will not happen .
Many management people of retirement age wait until Jan to announce retirement for the additional six weeks vacation.
The last and only buyout in the 90's was announced at a mgmt conference in late March.
What they will announce early in the year are consolidations --they know the faster the better for 2010.Maybe another Region and a few districts .

Wouldn't any buyout package be predicated on the amount of time left till your eligible to retire?
Anybody already eligible to retire getting the minimum, perhaps equal to vacation pay or less?
Would these old timers even need to be included?
Therefore wouldn't it be irrelevant as to when they offered it as vacation time is earned the year previous?
Assuming management earns vacation as the hourlies do, I could be wrong in that assumption.
Seems to me if the company was earnest in offering a buyout plan they would have a certain demographic targeted and would want the participation from these managers.
Aside from the possible vacation issue, I don't see the advantage to company putting off the offer if they are truly looking to thin the heard by this process.
I'm probably missing something.

D

Dis-organized Labor

The only Buyout presently on the table is for UPSSOCKS. I think the number is close to $9,500,000 payable over 10 years.

island1fox

Wouldn't any buyout package be predicated on the amount of time left till your eligible to retire?
Anybody already eligible to retire getting the minimum, perhaps equal to vacation pay or less?
Would these old timers even need to be included?
Therefore wouldn't it be irrelevant as to when they offered it as vacation time is earned the year previous?
Assuming management earns vacation as the hourlies do, I could be wrong in that assumption.
Seems to me if the company was earnest in offering a buyout plan they would have a certain demographic targeted and would want the participation from these managers.
Aside from the possible vacation issue, I don't see the advantage to company putting off the offer if they are truly looking to thin the heard by this process.
I'm probably missing something.
Bubblehead,
I do not believe you are missing anything. Mgmt vacations are very different --the first day worked in the year makes you eligible for all vacation time earned per years of service. In other words if I was 55 yrs old with 30 yrs of service and my birthday was in the fourth Q --I would work one day in Jan and receive 6 additional weeks of vacation --right or wrong. Also people hold on for there last mip in the 4th q and certain levels also recieve an additional stock option when the New Year starts.
It would make sense for UPS to have all of these people commit during the first two months of the year --the highest number of mgmt people leaving before offering any other enticements to those thinking about hanging on for another yr or two.
My personal opinion is that there will be no buyout --time will tell.:peaceful:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bubblehead,
I do not believe you are missing anything. Mgmt vacations are very different --the first day worked in the year makes you eligible for all vacation time earned per years of service. In other words if I was 55 yrs old with 30 yrs of service and my birthday was in the fourth Q --I would work one day in Jan and receive 6 additional weeks of vacation --right or wrong. Also people hold on for there last mip in the 4th q and certain levels also recieve an additional stock option when the New Year starts.
It would make sense for UPS to have all of these people commit during the first two months of the year --the highest number of mgmt people leaving before offering any other enticements to those thinking about hanging on for another yr or two.
My personal opinion is that there will be no buyout --time will tell.:peaceful:

Gotcha.
With that being the case, your contention is that the buyout offer would have been made already, to avoid the extra vacation liability?
That makes sense.
Maybe they will try and buyout some old time drivers before the raise in February?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Gotcha.
With that being the case, your contention is that the buyout offer would have been made already, to avoid the extra vacation liability?
That makes sense.
Maybe they will try and buyout some old time drivers before the raise in February?

I don't think the company can buy out drivers.
The pension is controlled and paid-out by the Teamsters.
The company can lay-off drivers in seniority order. That's about it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I don't think the company can buy out drivers.
The pension is controlled and paid-out by the Teamsters.
The company can lay-off drivers in seniority order. That's about it.

In the Central Region the company has bought out the liability in Central States for all full time employees.
The company now controls the pension in this region.
Does this give them some flexibility in this area?
Why wouldn't vesting these drivers be part of the buyout package?
Hiring a new driver at no less than half the hourly rate for three years, not to mention a hypothetical production increase, makes you wonder?
I do know, it won't be me.:biting:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The only Buyout presently on the table is for UPSSOCKS. I think the number is close to $9,500,000 payable over 10 years.

I miss the good old days when the union and the mob worked hand in hand.

A guy like Socks would be wearing a pair of concrete boots at the bottom of the Hudson river. Why buy 'em out when you can have 'em whacked?