Management In a Frenzy?

john chesney

Hello, I'm new here to the Brown Cafe and I hope that I have a pleasant time here!

I've currently been employed at UPS as a sorter for around 3-4 months now and haven't had much to complain about besides, the placement of where I am sorting at.

But today, was a complete disaster on management's part, based on my perception of being moved not once, not twice, but six times throughout the day. Started out with the sort and my sup moved me down to the unload. Then after the break, I was moved to back the sort aisle. 30 minutes later, my sup's boss was screaming about something and I got moved to something called the "bulk sweeper"? 5 minutes later, I was moved back to the unload. 9:20 rolls around and I get placed back to the sort aisle.

I'm usually a very fast sorter, but when it comes to sorting the PF Shoot. It's an absolute hassle. Labels are down, packages are heavy, and I have a bar that cuts flow to the people behind me. The past 3 days have been a complete disaster for me because of where I'm placed. If I just sort a truck or two, it's a breeze and I can go fast. But my sup doesn't seem to realize that sorting the PF Shoot, is no go on my part.

We're, unfortunately losing people on our aisle due to former employees going back to college. Which I guess is causing management, to squeeze every last bit of me in all sort of places to make up for the loss.

If you're still trying to find what exactly my question is, I'm looking for a reason into why management is placing me in the different locations.
Step 1. Forget about what management does if it makes sense something is wrong with you
Step 2. Go to work and do not care about management tells you to do just do it
Step 3. You get paid by the hour work hard and get paid that is your only job. What management does is not anything you need to think about unless it is a safety issue or contract violation

Blackadder 2

Hello, I'm new here to the Brown Cafe and I hope that I have a pleasant time here!

I've currently been employed at UPS as a sorter for around 3-4 months now and haven't had much to complain about besides, the placement of where I am sorting at.

But today, was a complete disaster on management's part, based on my perception of being moved not once, not twice, but six times throughout the day. Started out with the sort and my sup moved me down to the unload. Then after the break, I was moved to back the sort aisle. 30 minutes later, my sup's boss was screaming about something and I got moved to something called the "bulk sweeper"? 5 minutes later, I was moved back to the unload. 9:20 rolls around and I get placed back to the sort aisle.

I'm usually a very fast sorter, but when it comes to sorting the PF Shoot. It's an absolute hassle. Labels are down, packages are heavy, and I have a bar that cuts flow to the people behind me. The past 3 days have been a complete disaster for me because of where I'm placed. If I just sort a truck or two, it's a breeze and I can go fast. But my sup doesn't seem to realize that sorting the PF Shoot, is no go on my part.

We're, unfortunately losing people on our aisle due to former employees going back to college. Which I guess is causing management, to squeeze every last bit of me in all sort of places to make up for the loss.

If you're still trying to find what exactly my question is, I'm looking for a reason into why management is placing me in the different locations.

The answer to your question is very simple.

Management at UPS poorly plans just about everything, they understaff, they don't have enough equipment because it cost money and hurts the dividend.

At UPS now all that matters is the bottom line, custom service and logic both died a long time ago.

AwashBwashCwash

They do this to me all the time too. It's inefficient and results in errors.
It happens because UPS has serious staffing issues with its part-time work force. Worse than any company I've ever seen. Your sup is trying to get things done while being pressured by multiple forces to respond to their demands. They freak out and start shuffling people around like musical chairs. It doesn't help that many of the drivers are huge :censored2:s and will just leave their trucks in the worst possible place on the lot when they come in for the night and block traffic.
The solution is to fix the staffing issues, but that would cost money in the form of increased compensation and better training. And we can't have that.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I hate the shifting game. There is always something to do on my line and there is never more than a handful of minute's downtime.
I know how to load every car on this line effectively... So why am I being shifted to unload when debbie the new hire is :censored2: a car up beyond repair literally 20 feet away from me.

VelcroVestsAreTearable

Worlds Okayest Sup

I wouldn't worry too much because it sounds like one of two things: you guys may have been short staffed for the day, due to calls ins or people having to leave early, and they moved you to areas that needed help for a bit, or that the volume was very light/ "overstaffed" and moved you around to give you more experience of the building since you are doing great at your current position.
Either way it's a good thing if you choose to look at it that way instead of annoying, which I imagine was what it felt like at the time.

Just management doing management stuff, doesn't always make sense but sometimes we like to try new things to fail at.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I hate the shifting game. There is always something to do on my line and there is never more than a handful of minute's downtime.
I know how to load every car on this line effectively... So why am I being shifted to unload when debbie the new hire is :censored2: a car up beyond repair literally 20 feet away from me.

Nobody else can drive a stick

The dark side

When staffing is rough they just shuffle people around to the work.

Work safe

Service

Work as directed

In that order

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Who cares if another employee messes up a car.
Remember these words.
Not My Problem

They're either floating you because you're good or floating you because you're bad.

I wouldn't worry about it. Learn every pull or something to take away from the experience. Meet some drivers get some advice. It's nice being versatile.

I guess it boils down to what you're capable of and what you want out of the job. Everyone isn't good at everything. Management might be finding your best fit.

It really depends. They could've had a lot of call-in, or call-outs, over staffed or under staffed. If you follow safety and methods there's zero to worry about.

Dr.Brownz

Management doesn't react to problems until TOTAL FAILURE happens. They don't care if working conditions are getting worse, they assume you will just get tired of having the work take so long and YOU will speed up to fix it. DONT SPEED UP, WORK AT YOUR STEADY PACE, and the problem is on them.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

They have figured out you are a total screw up and trying to find someplace to hide you

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

The UPS way

:censored2: never changes