Management observation

tilskin

Is anybody out there having management follow them around busting people for not using hand rail, bad DR's, parking brake, bulk door open, packages in cab? Its been an everyday thing here in OH.

Yeah, it's called methods observations and it's the company's right to ensure that employees are doing their job properly. If you're not doing these things, then you should be busted. Doh!!!

hoser

Industrial Slob
you drive with packages in the cab? you leave the bulk open? you don't use the parking break?

one thing if you have an envelope in your hand as you try to locate an address, another when you have boxes in the front of your cube! leaving the bulk open is just stupid, while you and your package car may stop, the 100 lb box will continue to go 100km/hr. not to mention the stupidity of leaving it open along with the side doors while at a business/mall/apartment stop. lack of parking break is just sheer defiance, in driving training, you're programmed to be in the habit of reaching down with your left hand to grab the brake while shifting into park with your right (if you're privilieged enough for an auto), then unbuckling your seatbelt with the left while turning off the ignition with the right.

not using hand rails is a stretch, maybe subject to feedback, but not being "busted". regardless, you're paid big bucks, may as well do as you're told. failure to leave boxes in the back, use parking break or secure bulk door is worth a "busting"

tilskin

I understand what you are saying, Management has made it a point to bust at least 20 drivers aday, blind slide backs, crossing over white line while driving, helpers wearing white shoes even though ups could not even provide them with a uniform to wear. I think they are going a little too far with this, parking brake, bulk door and packages in cab I agree with.

sendagain

Every driver ought to keep his vehicle secure, especially this time of year when thieves are out there looking to steal gifts. However, any supervisor who has time for jerking people around during peak, is probably someone shuffled out of the way, or going to be.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have had members of management park down the street this week and observe drivers at intersections as we leave the Hub in the morning. They are looking for seat belt usage, cell phone, DIAD, or drinks in driver's hands, bulkhead doors open, and proper intersection driving methods. They write down the Package Car numbers and the driver is talked to the next day. We have had a lot more accidents this month than usual, and they are trying to fix this. The other day we got a DIAD message from our Center Manager that said "No backing unless you call and ask for permission". This is ignored, of course. :confused:1

Delivered

Our sups told us it was the "Ketter Group" that was out doing observations. 1 driver has already been fired. Take it one delivery at a time and follow all the methods and stay out all night.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
Our sups told us it was the "Ketter Group" that was out doing observations. 1 driver has already been fired. Take it one delivery at a time and follow all the methods and stay out all night.

We just had Keter and they didn't do any observing on the road. Keter does audits of the CHSP books, facilities, MSDS stuff, they observe your internal operations and look for things like over 70 tape, yard safety, and they interview drivers about seeing habits and CHSP the insiders get similar questions and management gets all of it plus the actual frequencies and some other stuff.

bigdog

Think about this next time you leave your vehicle and it is not secure:

Here in Memphis we had 2 drivers run a package up to a home and leave the bulk head door open as well as the passenger door. Both had only left the vehicle for 15-20 seconds. When they returned someone was in the cargo area - pulled a gun, made them strip, and ducted taped them up. The robbers later parked the car in area off the route and took what they wanted. When the drivers didn't come in on time and it got really late the police was contacted and luckily for both they were found still alive, but needless to say they were really shaken up and both went out for a while on stress leave.

This was about 2 years ago and one of the drivers has still not been able to return to work (disability)

Be careful, but most of all be smart!

Just Lurking

Blind side backs? Backing without permission? You mean, backing your package car into a dock or is there some vernacular I haven't picked up...

Types of backing at UPS safest to the least safest.

1. No backing - aka the only backing permitted.
2. Driver side -backing to the driver side of vehicle
3. Straight backing
4. Blind side - backing to the passenger side of vehicle

hoser

Industrial Slob
Types of backing at UPS safest to the least safest.

1. No backing - aka the only backing permitted.
2. Driver side -backing to the driver side of vehicle
3. Straight backing
4. Blind side - backing to the passenger side of vehicle
ahhhhhh I remember this stuff now. HABITS b.s.

hahahha, did a centre manager seriously expect his employees to get permission before backing up? not only is this insulting to the employees and their abilities, it's just stupid.

i worked at fedex for 10 months on a cube and sprinter (way harder) with 0 driving training, teaching myself how to use the backup camera and mirrors. i incurred 0 driving infractions and got into 0 collisions. even when i backed "blindly" (despite mirrors and camera)

and yet they don't want 10+ year seniors backing into docks :lol::lol::lol::lol:

S

speeddemon

Is anybody out there having management follow them around busting people for not using hand rail, bad DR's, parking brake, bulk door open, packages in cab? Its been an everyday thing here in OH.

Call the police and tell them you have someone following you. They will take care of it, and it wont happen again. This happened at my center.

browniehound

Think about this next time you leave your vehicle and it is not secure:

Here in Memphis we had 2 drivers run a package up to a home and leave the bulk head door open as well as the passenger door. Both had only left the vehicle for 15-20 seconds. When they returned someone was in the cargo area - pulled a gun, made them strip, and ducted taped them up. The robbers later parked the car in area off the route and took what they wanted. When the drivers didn't come in on time and it got really late the police was contacted and luckily for both they were found still alive, but needless to say they were really shaken up and both went out for a while on stress leave.

This was about 2 years ago and one of the drivers has still not been able to return to work (disability)

Be careful, but most of all be smart!

And I secure bulkhead door was supposed to prevent this robbery??? All the guy with the gun would have to say to me was "open the door"
??

sendagain

You kick the gun out of his hand, catch it on the way down, plug him twice in the head, drag the body to the curb and return to deliveries.

O

OneWeekToGo

those "busting" you are going to have to add checking for smoking to the list. the ohio constitutional amendment passed in nov, and taking effect on 12/7, makes it against the law for anyone to smoke in a ups vehicle in ohio - on or off property. have the required no-smoking signs gone up in each vehicle that list the number to call to turn in violators? they're required by the ohio constitutional amendment passed by ohio voters, but i'm sure it will get blamed on management by many.