Management to Driver?

thaliloldsup

NE Division
Hey all,

Have scrolled the forum up and down & haven't found my answer.

I have a couple years before I'm eligible to drive package cars. I'm trying to move out on my own but making what package handlers make isn't nearly enough to do that. I'm trying to become a supervisor for the "big" pay jump from PH. (Yes, I have a 2nd job also)
However, once I become eligible to drive, is it possible to switch back into union labor out of management?
I have had a PT Sup at my hub (10 years seniority) tell me you can do it but I've also been told you can't do it, one or the other.

Anyone have insight on this? I don't want to falsely go into PT management for the temporary pay raise if I can't go back into union & drive package cars.

PT Car Washer

Hey all,

Have scrolled the forum up and down & haven't found my answer.

I have a couple years before I'm eligible to drive package cars. I'm trying to move out on my own but making what package handlers make isn't nearly enough to do that. I'm trying to become a supervisor for the "big" pay jump from PH. (Yes, I have a 2nd job also)
However, once I become eligible to drive, is it possible to switch back into union labor out of management?
I have had a PT Sup at my hub (10 years seniority) tell me you can do it but I've also been told you can't do it, one or the other.

Anyone have insight on this? I don't want to falsely go into PT management for the temporary pay raise if I can't go back into union & drive package cars.
I think it is funny that you think a PT sup is management. Yes we just had a PT sup qualify as a FT package car driver last Peak so it can happen. A PT sup falls under the off the street hire of 6 to 1 ratio so you can see you have a better chance if you stay Union.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
San Jose state has a better chance of beating Alabama...and with that said...roll damn tide...but it could happen...there's a few in my building

PT Car Washer

San Jose state has a better chance of beating Alabama...and with that said...roll damn tide...but it could happen...there's a few in my building
There are several PT sups that are now FT package car drivers. Used to be common, but not any more. UPS can't retain PT sups or Union hourlies so they are not going to give them a chance to get ahead unless they have to. Union houlies come first by contract.

thaliloldsup

NE Division
It's just that I'm 19, and really want a future at UPS for all the obvious reasons (great pay, benefits, 401k etc etc) but don't want to stay at/close to my current wage for the next 2 years.
However if you all say it is unlikely or much more difficult to do, I may hold back from the tempting pay raise to PT sup...

Thanks all :thumbup: Just need to keep my nose clean now

Rack em

Made the Podium
It's just that I'm 19, and really want a future at UPS for all the obvious reasons (great pay, benefits, 401k etc etc) but don't want to stay at/close to my current wage for the next 2 years.
However if you all say it is unlikely or much more difficult to do, I may hold back from the tempting pay raise to PT sup...

Thanks all :thumbup: Just need to keep my nose clean now
I don't think they make as much as you think. Just keep your position and your seniority and gain the FT position like most of us have. Also, next year we get a new contract so maybe they will help out the PTers this time around.

thaliloldsup

NE Division
I don't think they make as much as you think. Just keep your position and your seniority and gain the FT position like most of us have. Also, next year we get a new contract so maybe they will help out the PTers this time around.
I find it funny how people will say they don't make that much but can hit top rate just shy of forty an hour + OT in 4 years.. that's better than 99% of jobs that don't even really require a HS diploma. But, your advice has helped me and I will stay union to save myself some headaches

Above10200

Stay driver unless you don't mind being moved. You can't move as a driver baring circumstance. They can move you where they want in management. Plus you have union protection as a driver, not in management

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Stay driver unless you don't mind being moved. You can't move as a driver baring circumstance. They can move you where they want in management. Plus you have union protection as a driver, not in management

IMG_1233.GIF