Management to Driver?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2305.GIF
Stay driver unless you don't mind being moved. You can't move as a driver baring circumstance. They can move you where they want in management. Plus you have union protection as a driver, not in management

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
It's just that I'm 19, and really want a future at UPS for all the obvious reasons (great pay, benefits, 401k etc etc) but don't want to stay at/close to my current wage for the next 2 years.
However if you all say it is unlikely or much more difficult to do, I may hold back from the tempting pay raise to PT sup...

Thanks all :thumbup: Just need to keep my nose clean now

Union protection and a 100% chance to enjoy a full time career here trumps any raise you'd get as a PT Sup !!!!!!

There are less management jobs than you think, and unless they like you, moving up from PT is difficult.
Continue working PT jobs outside your UPS schedule and don't lose your chance for a few extra bucks now.

thaliloldsup

NE Division
Better yet, go to school. Much better to use your brain than your back. You'll be glad you did.
I'm in school for automotive right now.
If you were implying a university, no thanks. Too many degrees, not enough jobs, and the pay isn't as much as you think a 4-year degree would make anymore...

Faceplanted

If you were implying a university, no thanks. Too many degrees, not enough jobs, and the pay isn't as much as you think a 4-year degree would make anymore...
Automotive is another terrible industry to get Into. The pay is crap, you need to spend tons in tools to even get a job. We have some of the automotive schools around where I live and maybe th market is over saturated but I don't Think 14hr is acceptable. I have 2 very close friends who have been in the field for almost 10 years and live poor. Only way to make money now in the car game is either working as a fabricator (roll cages, custom manifolds ect) or as a world class stand alone engine managment tuner. The fabricators usually start of as welders and the tuners are usually self taught.

I hope your going to a local tech school and not one of these private Wyoming tech type schools because they are huge scams. 20-40k and the guys that come out are clueless to real world mechanics and problem solving. Their job placement programs consist of changing oil at jiffy lube.

Should have chose diesel tech. That's where the money is. Lots of places locally starting off in the mid 20s an hour. I know a few who are around 30hr after a few years.

Last edited:

Cementups

Box Monkey
It's just that I'm 19, and really want a future at UPS for all the obvious reasons (great pay, benefits, 401k etc etc) but don't want to stay at/close to my current wage for the next 2 years.
However if you all say it is unlikely or much more difficult to do, I may hold back from the tempting pay raise to PT sup...

Thanks all :thumbup: Just need to keep my nose clean now

Don't be so impatient. Good things come to those who wait.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Like the other guy said don't bother unless your going for diesel

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hey all,

Have scrolled the forum up and down & haven't found my answer.

I have a couple years before I'm eligible to drive package cars. I'm trying to move out on my own but making what package handlers make isn't nearly enough to do that. I'm trying to become a supervisor for the "big" pay jump from PH. (Yes, I have a 2nd job also)
However, once I become eligible to drive, is it possible to switch back into union labor out of management?
I have had a PT Sup at my hub (10 years seniority) tell me you can do it but I've also been told you can't do it, one or the other.

Anyone have insight on this? I don't want to falsely go into PT management for the temporary pay raise if I can't go back into union & drive package cars.
I supported me and my wife when I was part time at ups. Find another job to supplement it.

Nike

At 19 years old i would find it difficult to command the respect needed to supervise a ups operation. Stay union, and be that guy making close to 6 figures by 25.