Management to Driver?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Kids these days don't wanna work I guess. When I was PT I had a second job...I had one coworker who loaded next to me that had FOUR jobs and worked 7 days a week.
I actually took a pay cut my first year driving. Granted I wasn't working 80 hour weeks anymore.

PrimeUPS

Hey all,

Have scrolled the forum up and down & haven't found my answer.

I have a couple years before I'm eligible to drive package cars. I'm trying to move out on my own but making what package handlers make isn't nearly enough to do that. I'm trying to become a supervisor for the "big" pay jump from PH. (Yes, I have a 2nd job also)
However, once I become eligible to drive, is it possible to switch back into union labor out of management?
I have had a PT Sup at my hub (10 years seniority) tell me you can do it but I've also been told you can't do it, one or the other.

Anyone have insight on this? I don't want to falsely go into PT management for the temporary pay raise if I can't go back into union & drive package cars.

It really depends on your area. I've seen districts where in some centers even the union jump into driver has years long waiting lists. I've seen others where they hire drivers off the street that just have a pulse to keep things going. Talk to your manager, find out what the environment is like there. Have there been 6-to-1 opportunities in the last year for PT management? Talk to some drivers, see if any of them were ever management and when they made the jump or if they were PT hourlies when they made the jump. If you discover a lot of seniority with years old transitions, you're not seeing a lot of turnover in that building which limits your opportunities as everyone else you work with is also gunning for the same few and rare openings.

Only one thing is universal, you need the support of the management team to jump hourly to PT management to FT driving. I don't mean just the FT sup you talked to, a 6-to-1 pool requires DM buy in and your manager will have to go to bat to get you on that list as 6-to-1's are coveted by the center team, they don't just give them out like candy.

7valued

There is a 95% chance that once you go management, you won't ever be a FT driver.
What makes this true? I kinda screwed up at was hired on a pt load then they offered me a mgm position on the second day and took it without knowing I wouldn’t be able to drive. There’s has to be a way and I’m freaking out that I screwed myself

7valued

I made it. Was a pt sup for 2 years and now I am a ft package car driver. I was pt loader for like 3 months. Guess I got lucky.
This is exactly what I needed to see. I’m currently in the same position. Was pt loader for 2 days when they offered me a sup position. Realize that was a mistake and hoping to transfer into driver

This is exactly what I needed to see. I’m currently in the same position. Was pt loader for 2 days when they offered me a sup position. Realize that was a mistake and hoping to transfer into driver
We have had several PT sups go into FT driving positions. Considered off the street hires but they keep their PT years for vacations.

542thruNthru

What makes this true? I kinda screwed up at was hired on a pt load then they offered me a mgm position on the second day and took it without knowing I wouldn’t be able to drive. There’s has to be a way and I’m freaking out that I screwed myself

Management can only be made a driver in a 6 to 1 ratio. Meaning 6 inside (union) hires to 1 outside hire.

The company rarely makes management driver's these days but you never know.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I never saw it happen but have heard it happened. Did you speak to the Center Manager or Human Resources? They may suggest you quit and then reapply for PT but you may be "unofficially" black balled.

Or you could quit and apply at another hub and leave out the fact you worked for UPS before.
Either way you would have to start at bottom.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I’ve seen it in package. There was a PT sup in my integrad class, actually. Never seen it in feeders.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Management can only be made a driver in a 6 to 1 ratio. Meaning 6 inside (union) hires to 1 outside hire.

The company rarely makes management driver's these days but you never know.
Our last 2 outside hires were pt sups that promised to drive a while, then go back to management as an on road sup. They are still driving.

nWo

We actually had 1 pt sup that wasn't a complete idiot. He is a 22.4 now. The PT sups that are dumb as poo aren't allowed to become drivers. The Center manager knows they are useless as sups and will also be useless as drivers.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I made it from PT sup to FT driver

1) You better be well liked
2) Go to Costco and buy chapstick in bulk because you'll be kissing a lot of :censored2:
They owe you nothing !!

Karma...

at one time to go from pt supervisor to ft supervisor you had to prove your mettle by going ft driving....some stayed as a ft driver.........

dudebro

at one time to go from pt supervisor to ft supervisor you had to prove your mettle by going ft driving....some stayed as a ft driver.........
In my district when you went driving if no one wanted you, you stayed a driver. There was no FT sup job guarantee. Either way it worked out well I suppose.