Mandatory lunch overturned in our district

stink219

The language says there is no "mandatory" lunch. Which is why I made the post. stink is speaking as though he has some type of authority on the issue "Take your ****** ******* lunch" I think it was. How about, No! ;)

I printed the language right from the NE supplement. There is a mandatory lunch. Can you post your "special" contract language? And yes, I am an authority on the issue. I deal with it everyday.

I printed the language right from the NE supplement. There is a mandatory lunch. Can you post your "special" contract language? And yes, I am an authority on the issue. I deal with it everyday.
not only are you in violation of the union contract (which was hard fought to win these rights) you maybe in violation of state and federal laws! In my state is is mandatory that you have atleast have a 30 minute lunch if you work over 6 hours!. Doesnt matter if you work at UPS or MCDONALDS! Besides why would you want to screw your union brothers out of a job? if everybody takes their lunch every day...they have to keep more routes in! you wont stay young forever...trust me!

iruhnman630

We have so many lunch skippers in our centers that it's pointless to even fight it. I've tried,..."these guys want to make kids baseball games, I'm not fighting it" is what I heard from a steward.
Those pesky kids and their games, getting in the way of break enforcement. The nerve.

Break time is supposed to be our time. Routes should be dispatched to allow for the full hour to be taken without affecting service to our customers, but the choice to take that break or get home earlier should be ours.

Those pesky kids and their games, getting in the way of break enforcement. The nerve.

Break time is supposed to be our time. Routes should be dispatched to allow for the full hour to be taken without affecting service to our customers, but the choice to take that break or get home earlier should be ours.

Thats why you are allowed 8 hour requests!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
not only are you in violation of the union contract (which was hard fought to win these rights) you maybe in violation of state and federal laws! In my state is is mandatory that you have atleast have a 30 minute lunch if you work over 6 hours!. Doesnt matter if you work at UPS or MCDONALDS! Besides why would you want to screw your union brothers out of a job? if everybody takes their lunch every day...they have to keep more routes in! you wont stay young forever...trust me!
Yes, the law is the same in NY too...anything over 6hrs...30 min lunch. Over 9hrs...30 min lunch and 10 min paid break.

stink219

THANK YOU!!!!!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The real problem is those who work through their lunch. They are not getting paid for this time and falsifying records. Personally, I think drivers should be offered and half hour- lunch option.

The real problem is those who work through their lunch. They are not getting paid for this time and falsifying records. Personally, I think drivers should be offered and half hour- lunch option.

They are stealing time!...Not from the company...they are stealing it from the guy on the bottom of the totem pole, who makes the least amount of money and who needs it the most. the union needs to start fining these drivers!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It says "allowed", or "shall be allowed time off...". If a manager says you're allowed to get a soda, does that mean you must take it?

The information I got from the union (in this local), is that lunches are not mandatory. This is from experience as well as talking to the lead steward. You can be whatever "authority" you want but it's only in your own mind (or local, apparently) ;)

And I do not mean it is "right" to skip a lunch, but drivers do it and avoid discipline.

stink219

It says "allowed", or "shall be allowed time off...". If a manager says you're allowed to get a soda, does that mean you must take it?

The information I got from the union (in this local), is that lunches are not mandatory. This is from experience as well as talking to the lead steward. You can be whatever "authority" you want but it's only in your own mind (or local, apparently) ;)

And I do not mean it is "right" to skip a lunch, but drivers do it and avoid discipline.

So let me ask you this. Driver A works 9 hours at $33 per hour and takes his lunch for a total of 10 hours. That's $313.50 for the day.
Now Driver B works 9 hours and skips his lunch. How much does he get paid?

So let me ask you this. Driver A works 9 hours at $33 per hour and takes his lunch for a total of 10 hours. That's $313.50 for the day.
Now Driver B works 9 hours and skips his lunch. How much does he get paid?

Answer..........................................................................................Driver B is a CORNHOLE !

clipperman

Should be the same unless he's entering it and working through it,if he is just skipping it because it is not mandatory then he is working within the rules I suppose

stink219

Should be the same unless he's entering it and working through it,if he is just skipping it because it is not mandatory then he is working within the rules I suppose

So UPS is allowing people under the NE Supplement to not take a lunch and get paid for hours worked? Bullshieeeeet!!! You have to work under 8 to get hours worked. Guys it's simple, if you made $30 an hour on average over your life and worked through your lunch, you hand UPS $234,000.00 of your money. Ask your wives what they think.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I never understood why drivers have to take one hour (in my local anyway), but if I work inside, I would get a half hour and also get two 15 minute paid breaks? Why don't drivers get paid breaks?

stink219

I never understood why drivers have to take one hour (in my local anyway), but if I work inside, I would get a half hour and also get two 15 minute paid breaks? Why don't drivers get paid breaks?

We get paid breaks, not paid lunches. If people read the contract, you can be forced to work through your lunch, you would still get 20 min to eat but get paid for the hour at X1.5.