Manipulating Order Volume - On Topic

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Unreal.....well that’s free money that you’re giving up. Not sure they can do that, might be a good idea to verify the legality of that. 1 hour of OT a day equals an extra $1000 a month. So looks like you have 1000 reasons to find out.

Yes, we can do that. OSHA compliance is the company’s problem, not ours
The union disbanded the “safety committee” in retaliation for the 70 hour weeks that were rammed down our throats without negotiation last peak.
The only purpose that the “safety committee” has ever served was to allow the company to perpetuate the fiction that it cares about safety. The committee has always been functionally useless by design as a mechanism for actually improving safety in the workplace and the union decided to withold cooperation in that regard.
The brown nosers who were on the “safety committee” just switched over to the Sales Lead Committee so they still get their extra hours.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The union disbanded the “safety committee” in retaliation for the 70 hour weeks that were rammed down our throats without negotiation last peak.
The only purpose that the “safety committee” has ever served was to allow the company to perpetuate the fiction that it cares about safety. The committee has always been functionally useless by design as a mechanism for actually improving safety in the workplace and the union decided to withold cooperation in that regard.
The brown nosers who were on the “safety committee” just switched over to the Sales Lead Committee so they still get their extra hours.
The topic isn’t the legitimacy of the Safety Committee it’s getting extra hours.

On that note don’t ever refer to someone trying to earn extra money as a “brown noser”, it’s bad form.

The competence or intentions of yours with standing most guys I’ve seen on the committee are looking for extra money.

brown_trousers

If fellow union members can get extra money by playing along with their pointless committees... why not?

I'll play make-believe on their committees for a few hours, if I'm getting paid to do so.

proyer

Aren't most buildings just putting in the extra routes to get the 8hr days? We are definitely putting in extra routes here. There's resi split cars in that usually we don't see until peak.
No new routes. It’s lke someone snapped their fingers and created 7 to 9 hr days across the board. I’m just curious as to how they actually did it and where the overage went.

Remember, curiosity killed the cat.
No reasoning worry over what you can’t change, the routes will come and you won’t have to worry anymore.
I’m a cover driver, 5 yrs in, and average 50 hrs a week. You’ll be fine.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Aren't most buildings just putting in the extra routes to get the 8hr days? We are definitely putting in extra routes here. There's resi split cars in that usually we don't see until peak.

At least at my center they are. We've got split routes going out with 50 or 60 pieces, 4 hour day, then the rest of the day helping or sweeping pickups if another driver comes even remotely close to going over 9.5. I got a near 2-hour lunch last week because my supervisor told me to "take lunch then hang tight" to see if I was needed to do pickups. I went crazy at the Golden Corral buffet.

soberups

The topic isn’t the legitimacy of the Safety Committee it’s getting extra hours.

On that note don’t ever refer to someone trying to earn extra money as a “brown noser”, it’s bad form.

The competence or intentions of yours with standing most guys I’ve seen on the committee are looking for extra money.
I have no issue with anyone who wants to earn extra money and is willing to work for it.
I do have an issue when that person uses their position on the “safety committee” to gain preferential treatment for themselves rather than doing their job and holding the company accountable for legitimate safety issues.

soberups

If fellow union members can get extra money by playing along with their pointless committees... why not?

I'll play make-believe on their committees for a few hours, if I'm getting paid to do so.
The purpose of a Safety Committee is to bring safety issues to the attention of the company and then hold them accountable for fixing them.
If that is what you are actually doing, great.
But if you are using your position on the committee to gain preferential treatment for yourself...or giving the company a free pass on safety issues and allowing them to comply with an OSHA mandate while not actually addressing legitimate concerns...then that is not OK.
As far as the other committees go...like KORE or sales leads...if you want the easy overtime then go for it.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
No, it isn’t an OSHA requirement
Isn’t there a .01% or .02% hours of total payroll hours for safety necessary. Here in California we were told it’s a OSHA requirement. Might be a California thing but checked with my center manager and he confirmed.

brown_trousers

Isn’t there a .01% or .02% hours of total payroll hours for safety necessary. Here in California we were told it’s a OSHA requirement. Might be a California thing but checked with my center manager and he confirmed.
i would imagine that if UPS offers a safety committee to its employees, but then all the employees decline to join, because of the union, then UPS has fulfilled their OSHA requirement by offering it.

Unless they are suppose to force employees to participate in the committee. But if that were the case, OSHA would supercede the union's authority on the matter, and UPS could form the safety committee with or without the union's consent.

i would imagine that if UPS offers a safety committee to its employees, but then all the employees decline to join, because of the union, then UPS has fulfilled their OSHA requirement by offering it.

Unless they are suppose to force employees to participate in the committee. But if that were the case, OSHA would supercede the union's authority on the matter, and UPS could form the safety committee with or without the union's consent.
Wrong. The union has to agrt who is in the committee

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Wrong. The union has to agrt who is in the committee
So I’ve heard that some locals and buildings are involved in the process. Curious on wether or not it’s a bid position or not.

In my building it’s basically a situation where when a spot opens up its first come first serve. Not sure that’s the right way, just the way things are done here.

Clarity on this issue could and would be very valuable to employees looking for more hours.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I don't mind the safety committee stuff. I'm a new driver, but to me it just seems like mental reps you take over and over again, just like you would take reps as a body builder. I can see how a 10+ year guy could be annoyed by some sup telling them what they've been practicing daily for their entire career. We do weekly 15 minute meetings every Friday and I just look at it like an extra hour of pay a month to verbally practice the 5 and 10s.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Also, to stay on topic, our building has clearly made a concerted effort to get guys in earlier. We're stretching our routes out as far as possible daily, have been using one or two rentals contstantly. Guys getting help more than usual. Us new guys taking bid pickups to go with our split junkers. But nothing has been said to us verbally along the lines of "we're trying to lighten the planned days accross the board."

CoolStoryBro

I have a genuine concern about the ability of UPS (company)

Can anyone here actually explain what is going on from a technical standpoint?

Is the missing 10-15% order volume going to Surepost? Amazon? FedEx?

tc.

What? Can you explain what you are even talking about?