Manual Labor

Working4TheBene's

Well just like "Dirty Jobs", there are plenty of jobs that people just won't do and take for granted, but in one way or another we need these jobs to be performed. Now in our case, moving packages from one location to another is vital to maintain commerce. Although to some, it may not be the most glamorous job, but nonetheless, it's a decent job that still has many benefits that some full time positions don't even offer. It's all in how you look at it.. half empty or half full.... And a lot of employees that I know either have a degree or is currently pursuing a degree... so not everyone is uneducated.

Now of course, hoping that we get better benefits during the next talks... Anyone have thoughts on APWA?? (Parcelworkers - A NEW LOOK! WHAT MAKES THIS UNION LOOK DIFFERENT'')

BoogaBooga

I have seen frontline Supervisors like you crash and burn over the years. Gosh, UPS gave you a new benefit program to help balance work and life. Maybe you should visit the Achieve Solutions website for UPS Employees. You will even find some help sections for great supervisors like you. Don't worry, the Great 1200 Pound Brown Gorilla (UPS) will take care of all your needs. The Great Brown Gorilla will help you deal with lowly drivers. I am not worthy to oil the chain on your bicycle. Please! Oh Great 1200 Pound Brown Gorilla help me to become the UPSer I know I can be.

25yrvet

Hey 'tiredofitall' ,
What do you do for a living? I wanna know so I can belittle what you do.

I've out lasted DOZENS of ctr mgt people; examples of what they are doing now with all their Valuable mgt training...
1) FDX ground beef driver earnings--40k ?? NET
2) Over the road truckload driver earns--40k ??
3) State gov't warehouse mgr -- 35k ??
4) Warehouse mgr 45k ??
5)Mgr of 'Office Depot' 40k ??
6) Mgt at 'Deli Express' 40k??
7)FDX Mgt 80k ??
8) City gov't -accounting field 35k ??
9)Self employeed--house 'flipper' --this guy has told several people that ups was alot easier !
10) FDX driver 45 k ??
11) Gov't mgt 50k ??
ETC, ETC, ETC
I was generous on alot of these $ figures & we won't even talk about Insurance, retirement, vakay ETC.

MY POINT IS THIS: IF MGT OPERATIONS PEOPLE ARE SO VALUABLE WHY DO THEY HAVE TO SETTLE FOR JOBS THAT PAY HALF OF WHAT THEIR TOTAL COMPENSATION WOULD BE FOR A CTR MGR Position???

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Helenof california, I waited 8 yrs also, and it makes me mad when other people get to go in a few months, but thats just luck I guess. So far all my stuff is holding up, although Ive seen the guys/gals retire with the blown out knees, the fixed rotator cups, and it is mostly from the hi step which will take anyone out after 20 yrs. I really wonder why those 5 ft drivers are still there, Oh wait, they arent, they are all on comp...........Its hard on the body, sing the praises all day, thats why we get paid well, we sell our bodies to make 27 bucks an hour.

Bulkstop

Shanty Irish
First I think you are one of those holier than though types who is above us with your fancy education or your like phantom lord said stuck in a dead end job and jealous of our money and benes. Step up to the plate and show me how easy it is or shut the heck up. If manual labor is so lowly and cheap then why do houses cost $300,000 and more? Oh yeah, thats because roofers, brick layers, masons, carpenters, and electricians are doing manual labor coupled with special skills and they too deserve to be paid well. Managers are not the only ones who deserve to make a good living. I think both the Dr and the nurses should get paid well. I think the pilot and the stewardess deserve to be paid well. I read a study that delivery drivers like us have one of the most stressful jobs in the country! Oh and monkeys can't do our job. They already fill two jobs, UPS managers and your dates! The other people you describe get paid to do there jobs just like we do but I agree the part timers deserve better pay for sure. And maybe you didn't know this but we help design the routes but the manager gets the bonus. And for the truck, building, clothes provided thing, yeah most companies provide those as they should or we would be called subcontracters. My truck is filthy since they never clean out the inside. I think all the workers are important from the clerks and porters, to the preloaders and shifters, to the reloaders and feeder drivers, to the OMS and air drivers! And many of us have post high school educations sparky. Our own company calls us industrial athletes. The company is the one who makes it miserable. They overdispatch, deny days off, screw up checks, mess up raises, harass us, switch our trucks, cut runs, play favorites, hand pick their buddies for promotions, give us 10 hours instead of the 8 we requested, nit pick us to death while acting like they are perfect. We do have a DOT physical which is one test many can't pass. We also have to have a clean criminal background and a clean driving record too. Sadly there many who do not have those things! We also have to drive a stick which sadly some people can not master. We have to be good with maps and directions which we all know there are some who can not do that either. We have to do the manual labor in all the seasons freezing winters and 100 degree summers and most refuse to do that! We drive larger than normal trucks and judging by the number of people disqualified in the first 30 days, most can't do it. We lift 500 to 600 boxes a day to an average of 120 to 140 stops including pickups depending on the route. We drive 60, 80, 100 miles or more a day. In the rain, heat, cold, humidity, sick, tired, hungry, stressed out, snow, sleet, wind, tropical storms, drouts, all in over crowded roads with crazy drivers, stray dogs, children in the streets, and carrying five or ten thousand dollars of product in the back with rising crime too. We have to deliver, pick up, collect COD's, do address corrections, drive safe, work safe, provide customer service, do claim follow ups, deal with damages, leaking and hazardous packages, with no a/c, in poorly ventilated trucks, that are dirty, with the backs getting over 115 degrees, climb stairs, handle up to 150 pound boxes, deal with dog bites, wasps, mosquitos, sun burns, heat stroke, heat exhaustion, muscle pulls, strains, and pains knowing we are one injury away from ending our careers. All this while trying to keep at a never ending, overly demanding pace which causes accidents and injuries. Do the math buddy. WE deliver 1 stop every 3 to 5 minutes, with some stops having 50 boxes and some 1 box. Let us see you come do that week after week year after year. And you think anybody can do what we do. We work harder than most jobs have to. I have seen rookie after rookie quit, saying it is just too hard and too demanding. If you have bad knees or a bad back don't apply. If you have certain disabilities don't apply. If you are weak or fragile don't apply. If you are a holier than though like youself, don't apply. This job is for honest, hard working, fast paced people who don't think they are above anyone. Thay also don't think they are beneath anyone as well!

You said it brother! I've heard it said many times about this job-"Anybody can do it. But not everybody can do it".

stealth8

Boy who pissed in your Cheerios! I can tell by your sign in name that it is time for you to move on to another career. You are totally BROWNED-OUT!

beatupbrown

Manual labor jobs are tough .The key to picking one is choosing the ones that pay good.
Pipe fitters, electricians, etc… A good trade can pay as much as UPS and more.
So if you want good money open your eyes there are lots of high paying jobs out there ,but most require manual labor of some type.
I personal think UPS drivers is one the hardest on your body .If I was to go the manual labor route all over again I would choose a electrician, make 30 to 35 and hour .

helenofcalifornia

Yeah electrician might be a nice job, good pay, easy on your body, but.....I would miss the camraderie of the other drivers. I enjoy coming into the office at the end of the day (taking my breaks) and listening to the daily war stories from other drivers, etc. Some of the customers make you feel like rock stars when you deliver to them. Some of them do things that will go down into the history books. UPS is a culture' And Toonertoo, you are SOOOO... right. We did sell our bodies out for $27 an hour. I have never thought of it that way. That is the trade off. It's just that when I am in my walker and not working for UPS I won't have those friends to BS with any more. I'll have different friends, just not the ones I grew with as an adult.