Manual transmission

poophappens

I've learned to almost never use the clutch with the exception of turning on the vehicle. Anyone else do this? P.S. My dad drove for 25 years and had 3 knee surgeries (2 on the left) mainly from the clutch so I figured it's like looking into the future and have to do something about it. Don't use the clutch!!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

mdnj88

I only use clutch to start and from 1st to 2nd...everything else I float it. The 113 diesels give me most trouble with no clutch.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Just remember 1st and Reverse are not synchronized on a GMC, so they will grind no matter how far you press the clutch. You must come to a complete stop for either gear.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I've learned to almost never use the clutch with the exception of turning on the vehicle. Anyone else do this? P.S. My dad drove for 25 years and had 3 knee surgeries (2 on the left) mainly from the clutch so I figured it's like looking into the future and have to do something about it. Don't use the clutch!!!

Sent using BrownCafe App
Don't ride the clutch either. Just wears it and makes it harder when you do use it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I run rural routes on new 500 and 700's. Get a new truck every 30,000 miles. What's a manual transmission? Or a clutch?

mdnj88

there is really no reason to ride the clutch. If drivers actually started out in first gear, no matter how fast u let it out, you will never stall the truck. In the diesels ive found that inbetween shifts, a quick tap of the throttle and it will slip right into the next gear without the clutch. that works on up and downshifts, for me..

Foamer Pyle

I had to work almost 20 years before I got an automatic. We didn't have diesel sticks with power steering. Sounds like a luxury to me.

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Give me a Powerstroke with a Spicer 5 speed stickshift, and I would be a happy man. I miss good old #654572, it was the best truck I ever had. The one I have now is an automatic with the Mercedes 4cyl. diesel that sound like an angry hair dryer with a bad case of the farts. Its an OK truck but it doesnt do nearly as well in the mud or snow as my old truck did.

Sent using BrownCafe App

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I inherited 2 656xxx P7s like what you are talking about from CA during peak. After immediately redtagging them for too many reasons to list, I finally have them whipped into shape and they are very good runners now. $$$ and a lot of work, but I will take them over a newer IHC any day of the week.

UPSGUY72

there is really no reason to ride the clutch. If drivers actually started out in first gear, no matter how fast u let it out, you will never stall the truck. In the diesels ive found that inbetween shifts, a quick tap of the throttle and it will slip right into the next gear without the clutch. that works on up and downshifts, for me..

MY left foot never leave the clutch pedal unless I'm on the highway. Expected the unexpected.

HomeDelivery

The one I have now is an automatic with the Mercedes 4cyl. diesel that sound like an angry hair dryer with a bad case of the farts. Its an OK truck but it doesnt do nearly as well in the mud or snow as my old truck did.

Sent using BrownCafe App

just curious, how do you know it's a mercedes? there are no external badges or is it on the valve cover or something to ID that engine?!?

i thought the 4 cyl diesels were usually the isuzu/GMC ones that are basically on the REACH stepvans... <shrugs>