Manual or Automatic?

Redtag_tech

With how UPS is cutting everything back, it only make sense to make the truck Manual again. A automatic transmission is about 3x more than a stick.

brostalss

IMG_1149.jpg

badpal

I still think all employee shod be required to qualify on a manual . Say you break down at another center they they only have manuals to give you in return?

Or if a package guy breaks down and mechanic only has manuals for a swap?
Seen often a young driver who was promised he would never have to drive one come in one morning and find his route loaded on one. Welcome to UPS, they learned.

rod

Retired 22 years
My first 20 years there were only manual transmissions.
I liked the manuals in bad weather but I found the first generation automatic equipped package cars on a rural trip (150-200 miles a day) enabled me to get done 45 minutes sooner.
? wth

moreluck

golden ticket member
Manual is like having "the club" for your car. Most youngins don't have a clue how to drive stick.

Much the same way that 'cursive' has become the senior secret code.

Zowert

For my first year I was doing junk routes in nothing but 5-speed antiques (we still have 4 or 5 of them here). Now there are like 8 drivers under me that have to deal with it. I’ve been covering actual routes since peak, all have automatics. I think this seems to be the norm with centers around the country, phasing the manual transmissions out, using the ones still lingering for bulk stops and/or junk routes.

tourists24

We have phased out almost all of our manuals. Of course now we have to contend with all these stupid electric pieces of crap that are at the center. A lot of em

Love when I cover a route that’s manual. Gives me a free day with management.

Why were you 2 hours over?
Hadn’t drove stick in a while was a little rusty sorry.

Then don’t get put on a stick route for a couple months, it’s a win-win.

specter208

For my first year I was doing junk routes in nothing but 5-speed antiques (we still have 4 or 5 of them here). Now there are like 8 drivers under me that have to deal with it. I’ve been covering actual routes since peak, all have automatics. I think this seems to be the norm with centers around the country, phasing the manual transmissions out, using the ones still lingering for bulk stops and/or junk routes.
I would ask the car Parker to put in a manual everyday!