Market levels

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Found this in the employee break room....

The whole market level deal is an elaborate scam. If you live in Hicksville, AR. you still are doing the same work as the employee who works at SFO but can't afford to live there.

There should be a baseline pay structure that is much higher, with a premium for a small number of locations like NYC etc.

Overall, it's a joke to be getting $16 or $17 per hour for this kind of work, especially considering how crappy benefits have become.

Scam.

SmithBarney

On the subject of market level changes, I'm sure if anyone moves up a market level they won't bump your pay up to that level. I think they will just increase the top and bottom of your range.

The big question:
"is B moving to A with a bump, then the +3% + step"
or
"is B and A being consolidated to the same BASE step program, with each employee coming into BASE at their current rate the +3% +step"

Does that make sense, our manager couldn't or wouldn't answer that question.

SmithBarney

I sure wish we had asked you sooner about raises. You really know your stuff. No surprises in October now that we know what to expect. Thank you. No, really, thank you.
So what you need to do is transfer to what is now a market level A station before the change over...to get the biggest bang for your buck.. ;)
Although we were told we were getting the B->A bump...by someone reputable, I don't believe anything till I see the paystub

fdxsux

The big question:
"is B moving to A with a bump, then the +3% + step"
or
"is B and A being consolidated to the same BASE step program, with each employee coming into BASE at their current rate the +3% +step"

Does that make sense, our manager couldn't or wouldn't answer that question.
I'll be blown away if it's not the latter.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'll be blown away if it's not the latter.

The whole market level deal needs to go away. Base wage for everyone, since the job is the same, and then adjust to the few markets where housing is outrageous, like the Bay Area, Hawaii, etc. Way back when, there weren't any market levels and you topped out in less than 2 years. Some VP made his career off creating this whole combined scheme and screwing us out of hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation.

dex 84

The whole market level deal needs to go away. Base wage for everyone, since the job is the same, and then adjust to the few markets where housing is outrageous, like the Bay Area, Hawaii, etc. Way back when, there weren't any market levels and you topped out in less than 2 years. Some VP made his career off creating this whole combined scheme and screwing us out of hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation.

I'd have to disagree. The job is the same but cost of living is much less in certain areas than others. If they actually based the market levels on cost of living instead of the local job markets then it would be a much fairer system.

We're all underpaid but some more than others...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'd have to disagree. The job is the same but cost of living is much less in certain areas than others. If they actually based the market levels on cost of living instead of the local job markets then it would be a much fairer system.

We're all underpaid but some more than others...

The whole deal is a scam. Their argument is the one you are using, that they DO base market levels on the cost of living, which, of course, they don't.

If the top-out didn't take forever, then there might be some rationale for market levels, but there are many Express employees making peanuts compared to someone at top of scale.

dex 84

The whole deal is a scam. Their argument is the one you are using, that they DO base market levels on the cost of living, which, of course, they don't.

If the top-out didn't take forever, then there might be some rationale for market levels, but there are many Express employees making peanuts compared to someone at top of scale.

Who is they? If you ask someone in management who is honest and knowledgeable (I know, I know) they will tell you it's based on what other employment options are available in the area.

I don't see a reason for abolishing market levels when you can get twice the house for half the price in certain regions of the country. They just need to base the levels on cost of living. All other stations anywhere close to me are 1-3 market levels higher even though cost of living is fairly consistent across the part of the country I live in, and actually tends to be a little bit higher here than in neighbouring areas with higher Market levels.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Who is they? If you ask someone in management who is honest and knowledgeable (I know, I know) they will tell you it's based on what other employment options are available in the area.

I don't see a reason for abolishing market levels when you can get twice the house for half the price in certain regions of the country. They just need to base the levels on cost of living. All other stations anywhere close to me are 1-3 market levels higher even though cost of living is fairly consistent across the part of the country I live in, and actually tends to be a little bit higher here than in neighbouring areas with higher Market levels.

"They" are the management team tasked with compensation, and if you've been paying attention for the last 25 years or so, they haven't paid attention to the cost of living and competitive wages. What they have focused on is excuses and lies stating that many stations didn't deserve a market level bump, even though housing prices and the cost of living were identical to neighboring stations that were sometimes 2 notches higher.

In some cases, this has been corrected, but in many others it has not. In the meantime, Fred saved himself some major cash.

SmithBarney

I'll say COL isn't used, but hopefully you all watched the recent Frontline, they address this, and they are using some new metric for determining market level.
But they have reduced market levels to 5 Levels now Base, Base+5%, Base+10%, Base+15%, Base+20%
I only one I know is BASE will be formerly A/B/(possibly E?) market levels. , As for the others anyone else know?

Our new pay scale shows a top out swing crr will make 32 and some change and a normal rt driver at 31 not bad. Ill get there eventuallly :-)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Our new pay scale shows a top out swing crr will make 32 and some change and a normal rt driver at 31 not bad. Ill get there eventuallly :-)

Sure, in 20 years or so. I know a dispatcher with over 30 years with the company. Since they were formerly a CSA, still not topped-out as a dispatcher, where they have been in position for over 10 years.

vantexan

You'll get there eventually because of the new pay plan. You criticize us but many couriers were getting very little in raises for a decade or longer. I was at $18.17 after 14 years. And I'll put the rts I've done against anything you've done. The problem with you young guys is you think you've got it all figured out when you have limited life experience. But for your sake I hope you have a great life and FedEx helps get you there. But don't presume how things are elsewhere because you don't know.

Yomama11

Fedex is very slick..10 step program does not equate to 10 years..they started the 10 step program last year and I was in step 2...I got word last night that I would get a raise but guess what..I'm still in step 2..I'm more upset that I have 8 more years than the next swing driver in my station and I make $1 more than them...Thank you fedex for taking care of the middle men.