Market levels

bacha29

That's true, but why did they suddenly come up with the new pay plan? Turnover. That 22 year guy started back when the company was still regarded as a place with a good future. We had incentives like the traditional pension and excellent healthcare back then. What's to hold today's new hire if they start pulling the same old B.S.? And Bacha, the raises are above the inflation rate. I'm not defending them, just saying let's be accurate.
Factor in those years when you received nothing and you would be barely in line with inflation. But at the same time the wage scale that has been posted it would appear that even the top out guys (average age 71) would still be around 10 bucks an hour less than UPS. That disparity is too wide. Then again if you look at Ground contractor drivers most are on per diems which converted to a wage would be around 12 bucks an hour 55 to 60 hour work weeks all straight time no benefits of any kind and despite those wages they are still getting results that are satisfactory to X and don't think that it's not impacting wage progression over at Express.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Factor in those years when you received nothing and you would be barely in line with inflation. But at the same time the wage scale that has been posted it would appear that even the top out guys (average age 71) would still be around 10 bucks an hour less than UPS. That disparity is too wide. Then again if you look at Ground contractor drivers most are on per diems which converted to a wage would be around 12 bucks an hour 55 to 60 hour work weeks all straight time no benefits of any kind and despite those wages they are still getting results that are satisfactory to X and don't think that it's not impacting wage progression over at Express.

The bottom line for all of the doubters is that the scam is still in full force. Fred has successfully created confusion and hope simultaneously, undoubtedly his goal.

vantexan

Can you please tell me how FedEx can pay as much as UPS?

vantexan

The bottom line for all of the doubters is that the scam is still in full force. Fred has successfully created confusion and hope simultaneously, undoubtedly his goal.
So you don't think FedEx will honor the new pay plan? That just the illusion that they're doing something is enough to satisfy the twentysomethings who don't want to run like dogs just to exist? They'll be content working 30 years without topping out?

bacha29

Can you please tell me how FedEx can pay as much as UPS?
They can but they don't HAVE to. UPS doesn't seem to have any trouble paying the top dollar and the still be the industry's big enchilada. You're always crying about X's wage and benefit package but in the same breath you're poor mouthing and crying hardship in it's behalf while the EPS says something completely different. Now which way is it?

fdxsux

So you don't think FedEx will honor the new pay plan? That just the illusion that they're doing something is enough to satisfy the twentysomethings who don't want to run like dogs just to exist? They'll be content working 30 years without topping out?
The new pay plan doesn't stipulate how long it will take someone to top out. So there is really nothing to honor. Just like FedEx intends it.

vantexan

They can but they don't HAVE to. UPS doesn't seem to have any trouble paying the top dollar and the still be the industry's big enchilada. You're always crying about X's wage and benefit package but in the same breath you're poor mouthing and crying hardship in it's behalf while the EPS says something completely different. Now which way is it?
And if you paid attention you'd know I've repeatedly said FedEx could do better by us, like having a 10 year plan all along instead of stringing us along forever. Tell me, if half of company's revenue goes to payroll, $25 billion+, how with two billion in profit or however much it is, are they going to top us all out in 4 years with $35hr, not even taking into account similar benefits? Where's the money coming from? I say this over and over but you hardheads don't listen. As long as FedEx flies most of it's freight they'll never be able to pay us like UPS. Get rid of Ground? Ground is where much of the profit is coming from. Until FedEx becomes like UPS in how they transport freight they'll never be able to pay like UPS. They're headed that direction with Ground's growth, but they've structured Ground to keep most of the profit for themselves. The new 10 step plan isn't the scam. They have to do that. The real scam is greatly improving profits but no intention ever to give their employees a much better life as they grow and grow with Ground. If anything as Ground grows more spending on Ground drivers will occur to keep them at it. If you aren't satisfied with the new Express payscales you better get used to them as it's highly unlikely they'll improve much, Ground is where the action is. But it's also highly unlikely that FedEx will play games with the new Express pay plan, as much as some push that idea. Turnover is such a problem nationwide that the company will literally fall apart if they can't keep the customers happy with on time service.

SmithBarney

yep, that's the same as what I'm showing:

PayCode . . . 1 . . . . . 2 . . . . . 3
step 1 .. 14.64 .. 16.60 .. 17.60
step 2 .. 15.49 .. 17.50 .. 18.60
step 3 .. 16.39 .. 18.45 .. 19.66
step 4 .. 17.34 .. 19.45 .. 20.78
step 5 .. 18.35 .. 20.50 .. 21.96
step 6 .. 19.41 .. 21.61 .. 23.21
step 7 .. 20.54 .. 22.78 .. 24.53
step 8 .. 21.73 .. 24.01 .. 25.93
step 9 .. 22.99 .. 25.31 .. 27.41
step 10. 23.78 .. 26.29 .. 28.46

Curious, what is paycode 1(CSA? Handlers?) 2 reg couriers? 3? Swings?

fedex_rtd

What needs to be done is to point out to HR, and management that the calculations should have reflected the new market levels first, and then the 3% raise.

By just adding the 3% raise everybody lost 1 step.

fdxsux

And if you paid attention you'd know I've repeatedly said FedEx could do better by us, like having a 10 year plan all along instead of stringing us along forever. Tell me, if half of company's revenue goes to payroll, $25 billion+, how with two billion in profit or however much it is, are they going to top us all out in 4 years with $35hr, not even taking into account similar benefits? Where's the money coming from? I say this over and over but you hardheads don't listen. As long as FedEx flies most of it's freight they'll never be able to pay us like UPS. Get rid of Ground? Ground is where much of the profit is coming from. Until FedEx becomes like UPS in how they transport freight they'll never be able to pay like UPS. They're headed that direction with Ground's growth, but they've structured Ground to keep most of the profit for themselves. The new 10 step plan isn't the scam. They have to do that. The real scam is greatly improving profits but no intention ever to give their employees a much better life as they grow and grow with Ground. If anything as Ground grows more spending on Ground drivers will occur to keep them at it. If you aren't satisfied with the new Express payscales you better get used to them as it's highly unlikely they'll improve much, Ground is where the action is. But it's also highly unlikely that FedEx will play games with the new Express pay plan, as much as some push that idea. Turnover is such a problem nationwide that the company will literally fall apart if they can't keep the customers happy with on time service.
First of all, Ground costs FedEx money it doesn't make FedEx money. Ever wonder why UPS and the Post Office don't have separate companies delivering their ground and air freight? Because it's a gigantic waste of money, that's why! Contractors or no contractors. The only reason FedEx does it is to protect its precious RLA status. FedEx would save tons of money by getting rid of Ground and having their express employees deliver those pkgs.(Or get rid of express and have Ground deliver it all).

Second, it's a ten step plan, not a ten year plan. If it was a ten year plan it would be called such. This is just a scam like all of the other pay plans they have come up with. The company has never said that this is in response to turnover. On the contrary, if you look at FedEx's earnings the company has never done better. I'm not sure why you believe the company has to start paying everyone better. I know hope springs eternal, but you're fooling yourself.

vantexan

First of all, Ground costs FedEx money it doesn't make FedEx money. Ever wonder why UPS and the Post Office don't have separate companies delivering their ground and air freight? Because it's a gigantic waste of money, that's why! Contractors or no contractors. The only reason FedEx does it is to protect its precious RLA status. FedEx would save tons of money by getting rid of Ground and having their express employees deliver those pkgs.(Or get rid of express and have Ground deliver it all).

Second, it's a ten step plan, not a ten year plan. If it was a ten year plan it would be called such. This is just a scam like all of the other pay plans they have come up with. The company has never said that this is in response to turnover. On the contrary, if you look at FedEx's earnings the company has never done better. I'm not sure why you believe the company has to start paying everyone better. I know hope springs eternal, but you're fooling yourself.
FedEx is doing much better because of 3 things: Ground(profit per pkg is higher than Express even though Express costs much more); Cost cutting measures at Express; Much lower fuel costs. Where the heck did you hear that Ground costs FedEx money? Profits are up year over year with Ground's growth. If Ground was a losing proposition they wouldn't have invested billions in Ground infrastructure. Express would still be handling everything.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

What Fred has done is to give a handful of employees a meaningful raise while simultaneously screwing the vast majority. And, yes, FedEx can afford to pay a lot more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

FedEx is doing much better because of 3 things: Ground(profit per pkg is higher than Express even though Express costs much more); Cost cutting measures at Express; Much lower fuel costs. Where the heck did you hear that Ground costs FedEx money? Profits are up year over year with Ground's growth. If Ground was a losing proposition they wouldn't have invested billions in Ground infrastructure. Express would still be handling everything.

I believe you have it backwards-----profit per piece favors Express, not Ground.

Oldfart

Another post full of lies and misinformation. How many of those packages would we lose if we had no ground? There is no way Express could handle the volume for one thing and the price structure would force shippers to look elsewhere. I ship quite a few packages. Even with our discount, ground is so much less expensive and despite a few hiccups, generally does a fairly good job. Ground has consistently out performed Express in return on investment. I believe it has been around 15% while Express has been around 5%. Some of those numbers go up or down and Express is still the largest division, but Ground is growing faster and will continue. Fedex is an overnight company that also delivers ground. At some point it MIGHT be a ground company that also delivers overnight.

fdxsux

Another post full of lies and misinformation. How many of those packages would we lose if we had no ground? There is no way Express could handle the volume for one thing and the price structure would force shippers to look elsewhere. I ship quite a few packages. Even with our discount, ground is so much less expensive and despite a few hiccups, generally does a fairly good job. Ground has consistently out performed Express in return on investment. I believe it has been around 15% while Express has been around 5%. Some of those numbers go up or down and Express is still the largest division, but Ground is growing faster and will continue. Fedex is an overnight company that also delivers ground. At some point it MIGHT be a ground company that also delivers overnight.
Amazing how you guys can't figure out that it's more expensive to send 2 drivers to every stop than it is to send 1 driver. I'm not saying FedEx should stop offering ground as a shipping option, I'm saying they could integrate their ground and express operations like UPS. The "Operate individually, compete collectively" business plan is ridiculous. Might as well say "let's double our expenses and keep our revenues the same."

Oldfart

Amazing how you guys can't figure out that it's more expensive to send 2 drivers to every stop than it is to send 1 driver. I'm not saying FedEx should stop offering ground as a shipping option, I'm saying they could integrate their ground and express operations like UPS. The "Operate individually, compete collectively" business plan is ridiculous. Might as well say "let's double our expenses and keep our revenues the same."
Pricing, service, sort times and just about everything else prevents that from happening. Many stations just can't handle much more volume. I leave the building at 0735 or 0740. UPS in my area leaves at 0920 or so. Ground guys tell me they leave at 9 or later. How many p1 are you gonna get off if you only have an hour of del time. UPS and Ground are finishing their sort while I have made 10 to 15 stops. They have to wait on the trucks to get there from other cities while we are hitting the road.

Purplepackage

Pricing, service, sort times and just about everything else prevents that from happening. Many stations just can't handle much more volume. I leave the building at 0735 or 0740. UPS in my area leaves at 0920 or so. Ground guys tell me they leave at 9 or later. How many p1 are you gonna get off if you only have an hour of del time. UPS and Ground are finishing their sort while I have made 10 to 15 stops. They have to wait on the trucks to get there from other cities while we are hitting the road.

Exactly what part of the country is your station in? You're leaving the building at 7:40?

Not here, we are only punching in at 7:30 and are leaving at 9 just like ups.

Last time I left the building that early was in the 80s when we started at 6:30 everyday

fdxsux

Oh, I'm sure we could make it work. You guys in Memphis are pretty smart.:biggrin:UPS seems to do a pretty good job of it!