Meal breaks for FT

brownbrown85

no. but you can't have your cake and eat it too. unless your boss lets you, which ain't going to happen.
if you work under 8 hours you don't have to take a lunch, however if you clock out early on your own, you can't demand your minimum 8. if you demand your minimum, they can make you work for it which will necessitate a 9th hour unpaid. it's one or the other. the rules aren't arbitrary and it's not a game. additionally you're supposed to take your lunch in the middle of your shift because it's supposed to be restorative, it's there so fatigue doesn't make you cause an accident. so if you skip your mid shift lunch you may be opening yourself up to an offense.
this forum is hilarious with this topic. im in a bonus center, i dont run. i code my lunch everyday, i work through it everyday. i make 1.5 hours of bonus average daily. i clock out at 4 usually. get my paid 8 daily with 1.5 hours of bonus on top. sorry this job is just easy for the select few that wanna make it easy. you can work til 730-8 3-4 nights a week file and 9.5 all you want and think you are the better person, but im not the one complaining about not having time with my family. sorry but id rather get paid the bonus instead of giving them an extra 1.5 hours of my time per day like you 9.5 preachers.

first thing you guys will say is bonus is wrong, well no you are wrong. if i make the choice to be efficient i should get paid extra for the miles and time im saving the company. first job i ever had that gives an incentive for me being faster than other employees, im goona take advantage of that.

next you guys will say im giving the company 30 min free everyday, wrong again, learn how bonus centers work. if i wasnt in a bonus center i woulda switched to feeders asap.

finally ill be called a runner, wrong again lol. i dont hang out at business stops talking to jerry, i dont walk past the garage to leave it on the front porch, and i also dont drive the speed limit. bitch all you want about what the union did for us years ago, and remember them good ol days when the union was in your favor. because those days are long gone.

Whither

Scofflaw
bitch all you want about what the union did for us years ago, and remember them good ol days when the union was in your favor. because those days are long gone.
They're gone for good with this mentality.

I understand your frustrations w the union. I have them too. But you're taking silly risks coding out lunch and working through it. I think most of us don't like bonus centers bc they incentivize cutting corners/dangerous speed ups that increase the likelihood of injuries and accidents. I'm not in a bonus center. When I can safely scratch my route I do, when I can't who cares. We already know the time studies are based on ideal assumptions that rarely hold up. I rarely check my numbers but, for example, I know it's easier to scratch when I'm not drowning in irregs.

brownbrown85

like it or not the sellouts are becoming obvious that the union is tipping things in favor of ups' favor. we work out of a very high volume center and they no plenty of us skip lunch and they have no plans on doing anything about it

Whither

Scofflaw
like it or not the sellouts are becoming obvious that the union is tipping things in favor of ups' favor. we work out of a very high volume center and they no plenty of us skip lunch and they have no plans on doing anything about it
Yes the union has made concession after concession.

But here's the thing. When you bend the rules, you're giving mgmt ammo against you, and depending on their mercy. Much better to stake out a strong position that's not dependent on mgmt's whims. Also: we are the union. I don't mean that in any idealistic sense. We will likely, in many cases, face a real fight to transform our scaredy-cat, company-friendly locals. But the only way a local will ever be strong is via strength in the rank and file. Union strength cannot be founded on cynical compromises with the company's goals. It's built by strong members who, at times, might even be willing to risk their livelihoods not for the sake of production speed-ups (e.g., bonus) but to challenge weak contracts based on principle (e.g., the forced 6th punch grey area).

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Because a lot of folks here are obsessed with how strangers do their jobs. Most that go very slow on purpose and want others to pull stops off of them are the very definition of lazy, underperforming workers. You get fired almost every where else. I’ve noticed this for awhile. That’s just me mumbling though

You worry about yourself 🤷. I’m not a driver, but I hate people who try to police other people. Become a supervisor if you like doing that.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

What are you doing about it ?

Yes the union has made concession after concession.

Completely disagree.

But here's the thing. When you bend the rules, you're giving mgmt ammo against you, and depending on their mercy. Much better to stake out a strong position that's not dependent on mgmt's whims. Also: we are the union. I don't mean that in any idealistic sense. We will likely, in many cases, face a real fight to transform our scaredy-cat, company-friendly locals. But the only way a local will ever be strong is via strength in the rank and file. Union strength cannot be founded on cynical compromises with the company's goals. It's built by strong members who, at times, might even be willing to risk their livelihoods not for the sake of production speed-ups (e.g., bonus) but to challenge weak contracts based on principle (e.g., the forced 6th punch grey area).

Completely agree.