Media Bias

vantexan

I'd say you are incorrect.
For the most part they are mostly poverty stricken with no hope of rising above that level.

Most equally poor.

Great to be equal under those terms, with largely no hope to rise above it.
He was talking about inequality being greater than in third world countries. I'm assuming he's talking racial inequality. In third world nations in the Americas whites hold the power and wealth in higher percentages than other races. In NYC there are mechanisms in place to protect minorities to some extent and to allow participation in the power structure. David Dinkins and AOC come to mind. No system is perfect but his constant assertions that America is so much worse is based on outright false assumptions, premises, and lies.

rickyb

He was talking about inequality being greater than in third world countries. I'm assuming he's talking racial inequality. In third world nations in the Americas whites hold the power and wealth in higher percentages than other races. In NYC there are mechanisms in place to protect minorities to some extent and to allow participation in the power structure. David Dinkins and AOC come to mind. No system is perfect but his constant assertions that America is so much worse is based on outright false assumptions, premises, and lies.
no i was saying its comparable to third world latin american countries. i took the quote from chomsky and i havent heard it in a while so i may be slightly confused.

rickyb

Have you been to Latin America? Because if you had you'd know what a ludicrous comparison that is.
hes talking about inequality, so hes probably comparing the most wealth in NYC against least. its not hard to imagine. id imagine people arent living in shacks in NYC, but projects is a no brainer.

vantexan

hes talking about inequality, so hes probably comparing the most wealth in NYC against least. its not hard to imagine. id imagine people arent living in shacks in NYC, but projects is a no brainer.
There are avenues one can take on NYC and the rest of the U.S. that one can take to lift themselves out of poverty. It's a matter of effort. Those avenues aren't available in third world countries for the most part. To say the U.S. is worse than third world nations is ludicrous and if you had visited those countries you would know that already. You need to realize that you're being manipulated by people who count on you taking their word as truth because you don't know better.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
[QUOTE="vantexan, post: 4468804, member: 24302" In third world nations in the Americas whites hold the power and wealth in higher percentages than other races.[/QUOTE]

And you don't think it's the same on the U.S.???

vantexan

[QUOTE="vantexan, post: 4468804, member: 24302" In third world nations in the Americas whites hold the power and wealth in higher percentages than other races.

And you don't think it's the same on the U.S.???[/QUOTE]

Didn't say that. Said in the U.S.(New York in this example) mechanisms have been put in place to insure participation in the system for minorities. The comparison isn't valid with third world nations because in those nations whites are clearly in the minority yet hold most of the wealth and power and make no real attempt to share with minorities. Of course whites hold most of the wealth and power in the U.S. but they aren't in the minority and through years of trial and error have striven to level the playing field.

newfie

Alan Lowe is with Richard Allen Root.
April 14 at 7:57 PM

A Harley Biker is sitting on his Harley, drinking a beer, by the Zoo in Washington, DC when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage.

Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the collar of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter her, under the eyes of her screaming parents.

The biker jumps off his Harley, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch. Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and the biker brings the girl to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly. A reporter has watched the whole event.

The reporter addressing the Harley rider says, “Sir, this was the most gallant and bravest thing I've seen a man do in my whole life.”

The Harley rider replies, “Why, it was nothing, really. The lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger, and acted as I felt right.”

The reporter says, “Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist, you know, and tomorrow's paper will have this story on the front page. So, what do you do for a living, and what political affiliation do you have?”

The biker replies "I'm a U.S. Marine, a Republican and I’m voting for Trump."

The journalist leaves.

The following morning the biker buys the paper to see if it indeed brings news of his actions, and reads, on the front page:

“U.S. MARINE ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT & STEALS HIS LUNCH”

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Alan Lowe is with Richard Allen Root.
April 14 at 7:57 PM

A Harley Biker is sitting on his Harley, drinking a beer, by the Zoo in Washington, DC when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage.

Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the collar of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter her, under the eyes of her screaming parents.

The biker jumps off his Harley, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch. Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and the biker brings the girl to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly. A reporter has watched the whole event.

The reporter addressing the Harley rider says, “Sir, this was the most gallant and bravest thing I've seen a man do in my whole life.”

The Harley rider replies, “Why, it was nothing, really. The lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger, and acted as I felt right.”

The reporter says, “Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist, you know, and tomorrow's paper will have this story on the front page. So, what do you do for a living, and what political affiliation do you have?”

The biker replies "I'm a U.S. Marine, a Republican and I’m voting for Trump."

The journalist leaves.

The following morning the biker buys the paper to see if it indeed brings news of his actions, and reads, on the front page:

“U.S. MARINE ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT & STEALS HIS LUNCH”
Funny but I’m not sure it was worth reading all that.

oldngray

nowhere special
6044505.jpg