Memorable PCM's

wilberforce15

I've been in the hub for 7 years part-time on midnight. Not only have I never been in a PCM - I've never even heard of one being given on our shift. I only heard about them from a pt sup who said that one day he wanted to do one. That was after I'd been here a few years.

barnyard

KTM rider
I don't remember any PCM that was memorable.

I do.

A brand new district manager was HQing out of our center and had to deliver the news that a UPSer was killed on duty. He gave the PCM and he struggled for words. It was easy to see how difficult that day was for him. Lot of drivers walked to their trucks in silence that day.

jalnar

are you going to build extra loads thet predict 10 inches today. there reply no but dont be over allowed due to snow

S

serenity now

we have had two drivers killed on duty over the last 30 years * lost a mechanic and a part time sup. to cancer *
had another driver killed on his motorcycle coming in to work * most recently a pkg. driver died suddenly at home while on vacation * it just hits you so hard......

i miss them all

DS

Fenderbender
My favorite PCM was about 20 years ago.
On car says,first of all,you DO NOT,tell your supervisor to friend* off.
Secondly,when you find 15 stops in your car out of your area,they
are not misloads,this is called a split.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our most memorable PCM was a demonstration of proper stretching techniques given by a very attractive female personal fitness trainer. Everyone paid attention during this particular PCM.

We also had a lady who had been rear-ended by a kid who was talking on his cellphone while driving at least 30 mph give us the PCM one day. Her story and the way that this changed her life gave us all something to think about during the day.

Leftinbuilding

Many years ago, before seat belts were a law (in Calif) and before UPS required their use, they showed a film called "Room to Live". I have worn a seat belt ever since, required or not. ( A highway patrolman, I believe from Illinois, talks about accidents where the "cage" was intact but someone had died because they were unsecured. Made an impression on me)

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
My boss has interrupted one of my PCM's after just getting off the phone with an employee's girlfriend. Evidently, the conversation was not particularly pleasant, as she began screaming at all of my folks with TEARS of RAGE streaming down her face. She was screaming at them that she never wants them to get personal phone calls at work ever again....She was stuttering, blabbering, crying, and basically acting like a fool. The person on the phone apparently got pretty mouthy with her and called her a few choice names. It was quite the scene.

I also chuckle inside when I hear fellow management give these demanding, condescending, accusatory PCM's that never get their points across and end up pissing everyone off. Some people make communication seem so difficult. I have a personal technique that is simple, yet fairly effective. I call it the "We vs You" principles. Not in the "Us vs Them" vein, but the actual words 'we' and 'you'.

If a manager would replace 'you' with 'we' every time they were to say it, the message comes across much differently and more apt to be well received.

Ok folks.....You need to get out there today and do this and that. You need to do it better, or you will have more of this to do. I think you need to rethink how you are doing things so you can improve yourself.

OR

Ok folks.....We need to get out there today and do this and that. We need to do it better or we will have more of this to do. I think we need to rethink how we are doing things so we can improve ourselves.

While the rigid, die hard teamster will be quick to point out that 'we' never includes management, it's a simple psychological mechanism that promotes a 'team' message, and softens the message. When "you" is used, people will subconsciously take things personally. When 'we' is used, it's less infringing on a personal level, and more likely to be well received. I'm sure some chapter in a psychology book touches on this.....

As a side note, my thread "Interesting Call-ins" was no attempt at mockery of bargaining units in general. Management folks and supervisors call-in too....

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
We had this maroon sup give a speech years ago at PCM about pre-tripping !! he said, and I can quote him till this day,,"I even pre-trip my bathroom in the am to make sure there is enough toilet paper, toothpaste and clean towels for the family "" we all just walked away starring at each other as to say WTF !! Get a life !!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
We had this maroon sup give a speech years ago at PCM about pre-tripping !! he said, and I can quote him till this day,,"I even pre-trip my bathroom in the am to make sure there is enough toilet paper, toothpaste and clean towels for the family "" we all just walked away starring at each other as to say WTF !! Get a life !!!
Sounds "military" to me!!

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Loved the pcm about not going to bed for at least four hours after dinner and getting 45 min of exercise after you eat. Also you need at least 8 hours of sleep before coming to work. Asked oncar how that math worked when we were all working to 7 or later.

UPSER110

Last year around Christmas time we had a PCM about getting a brisk walk everyday. One of the senior drivers that is always working 55+ hrs a week Yells out "You gotta be friend-in kidding me, a brisk walk? When at 10PM?!!"

BearcatShane09

Package Handler
PCM? I've been employed at UPS for 3 and a half years and I can remember having a PCM about three times. When we walk in they usually hand us a paper with whatever the PCM is that day and every employee walks to the podium and throws it away. I really think people on here would be shocked if they spent a week in my hub. Management and hourlys get a long with no issues pretty much on the regular and PCM does not happen.