Memorizing stuff now?

mva1985

Our local tells us all we have to do is make an honest effort... you can't be terminated for not knowing them word for word.

What a bunch of crap!

At the hub that I am at they are actually requiring us to memorize the 8 keys to lifting and lower, 5 keys to preventing slips and falls and the 8 yard control keys in 2 weeks or else you can be terminated. Is that happening anywhere else?I know the first tow are necessary but yard control keys for a guy that loads pacakages is kind of unnecessary right?

brett636

They are always telling us that as well that if we don't know/learn these items we will get walked out. In the end its all nonsense intimidation tactics, but I guess UPS thinks it works therefore they will continue to do it. The OP sounds like they are still in their first 30 days so they kinda have to do what the company tells them until they pass that pre seniority period as the company doesn't need an excuse to fire someone at that point in their employment.

konsole

Our preload has been asked the DOK's week after week for the last year or so and last month we had to answer some others questions everyday of the month. It never use to be like this for the first 6 years I worked there. Its as if they think injuries occur because employees werent grabbing the box opposite corners instead of too heavy workload or people just not using their head. We use to do the DOK's maybe once a month and there was nothing else, and what happened to the questionnaire we use to fill out about what we thought of the company?

Ghost in the Darkness

I find that they really do want it memorized in their verbatim... I can give them close enough answers but it never seems to satisfy them because they want their keywords. Oh well, I find different ways to phrase it everytime.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Giving this answer during an audit will earn you some one-on-one time with your mgt team.

Upstate:
So what is wrong with that response? Being practical, can you memorize Everything plus the changes to Everything???
Of course not.
Tax codes change each year and I NEVER commit to a Client that I have all the answers; BUT....I know where to research the specifics regarding their scenario or condition.
If UPS is not the same, then they need to be.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate:
So what is wrong with that response? Being practical, can you memorize Everything plus the changes to Everything???
Of course not.
Tax codes change each year and I NEVER commit to a Client that I have all the answers; BUT....I know where to research the specifics regarding their scenario or condition.
If UPS is not the same, then they need to be.

I was interviewed during our last mock Keter audit and was 100%. So, yes, I can memorize everything plus the changes to everything.

Memorize tax codes? Isn't that what Turbo Tax is for?:wink2:

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
What is the problem with taxing your brain with memorization?

What is the problem with cognitive development?

So what. We need to memorize something. Big deal.

Use the freaking brain. Use it or loose it.

Someday, you may face an illness which could steal your cognitive abilities other than old age.
I don't wish that on ANYONE.
Just freaking chill out. Memorize the stuff, build new synapses in your brain and reap the benefits.

That illness...I have one called MS. My biggest fear is the loss of my cognitive skills. I would rather be in a wheelchair wearing a diaper than lose my cognitive skills.

Now get over it and just freaking take the energy you are using dwelling on this and accomplish something.

http://www.physorg.com/news85769096.html

Last edited:

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Well, I guess that I drifted off into a very general direction.
If we're talking about a Keter Audit (is that the OP's post), then I agreeon the memorization.

BUT....in other general terms I still believe that knowing where to find an answer as opposed to shouting one out that may/may not be correct; is highly preferable and admirable.

"Don't be a Hero"..........:peaceful:

over9five

Staff member
What is the problem with taxing your brain with memorization?

What is the problem with cognitive development?

So what. We need to memorize something. Big deal.

Use the freaking brain. Use it or loose it.

Just freaking chill out. Memorize the stuff, build new synapses in your brain and reap the benefits.

Yup, yup, that's what I finally figured out.

For a long time, I told management, "Sorry, no way I can remember all that garbage".
And one day I wondered (feared) that it may be true. So I decided to memorize it all. And I did, and all on the clock. Every night I would say it out loud over and over as I did my 4 stops. (OK, I was in Feeders. It would be harder in Package).

Five seeing habits, five days in a week. Do one a day, you'll know it cold in a week.

Move on to something different next week, but also say what you learned last week.

You CAN learn the garbage, and you can learn it on the clock.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Yup, yup, that's what I finally figured out.

For a long time, I told management, "Sorry, no way I can remember all that garbage".
And one day I wondered (feared) that it may be true. So I decided to memorize it all. And I did, and all on the clock. Every night I would say it out loud over and over as I did my 4 stops. (OK, I was in Feeders. It would be harder in Package).

Five seeing habits, five days in a week. Do one a day, you'll know it cold in a week.

Move on to something different next week, but also say what you learned last week.

You CAN learn the garbage, and you can learn it on the clock.
The problem isn't really memorizing the stuff, 9/5. The problem is that they have an all out blitz, where you MUST know it all, then they drop it by the wayside till next time. Maybe if they made it a solid thing, year round, one would find it easier to retain.

ups2000

just b/c i cant rember all this stuff word for word doesnt make me a bad driver. i personally cant stay focused when reading stuff so its hard for me. but mgmt doesnt care just say i have to know it.

dave991

Lead, don't follow.
We get scheduled to come in 15 minutes early ONCE, usually before an audit happens. That way the company can show they have complied with training time requirements. Once the audit passes, your on your own until they ride with you for your annual cetification and ask the same questions. Every year they just re-recite them to me, pass me, then go to the next employee. Cycle of life year after year after year.............

browniehound

God, I hate stories like that. It's a poor manager who has to threaten termination to try to get his employees to learn this dribble.

And I'm with Race. They'll whine and cry and throw tantrums and threaten termination..... but you won't get fired as long as you make an effort.

Bingo Over! They won't fire you as long as you make an effort. It has been my observation that management will go after the employees that blantantly say "FU" I'm not learning it. And I've never understood this mentality because you are never going to win a peeing contest with UPS managment. They simply have too many weapons to come after you with, so why not just play ball?

Another good point was made in another post that time should be given on the clock for new employees to learn the material. How long it takes depends on the individual. Just make an effort and management will be happy and you will learn it. Its pure rocket science.

I wrote that last statement seriously, yes I was serious. Knowing the 5 rules of backing, 8 keys to lifting, lowering, etc is cut and dry. An exact science.

I bring this up because I once took a class on atmospheric science in college and the proffesor said this class is not rocket science. He said in rocket science we can launch a space ship from earth and have it land on a moon of Saturn billions of miles away and that spaceship will land within a radius of tens of miles of where you intended to land it! However, we can't predict the weather on earth in certain localities (hello New England) 3 days from now!

I thought it was an interesting point and right on the money. I don't know how I got off on this tangent, but I think my point is the things UPS wants you to remember is as straightforward and exact as rocket science and not as difficult as prediciting the weather. LOL.

tieguy

Banned
I talked to a driver tonight that not only had the information down but delievered it in a way that was downright entertaining. He could have done a comedy routine and had us all rolling in the aisles.

Its all what you decide to make it. If you want to put up mental roadblocks then you will. If you want to have fun with it you can do that too.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The problem isn't really memorizing the stuff, 9/5. The problem is that they have an all out blitz, where you MUST know it all, then they drop it by the wayside till next time. Maybe if they made it a solid thing, year round, one would find it easier to retain.

Amen!
Has anybody counted how many words we are required to know verbatim?
Not me, not worried about it.
Like any day, I'll give it a solid effort.
Whether I know it?... is up to them, on a daily basis.

Or terminology a non-upser would use!

So if your Union, you're a non-upser??

I talked to a driver tonight that not only had the information down but delivered it in a way that was downright entertaining. He could have done a comedy routine and had us all rolling in the aisles.

Its all what you decide to make it. If you want to put up mental roadblocks then you will. If you want to have fun with it you can do that too.

I think that's neat.
Are you in love?