Mercury Spill shuts down Hub

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Got a text message from our preloader saying building has been shut down since 5:30 am and we should expect a :censored2: show when we get there. Get to the parking lot with all the drivers saying there has been a mercury spill in the building and we are not allowed to enter until a hazmat team comes and cleans up and verify that it is safe to enter the building. We sat outside for 6 hours and finally were told we could come in and try to do some of our deliveries and pick ups until 6:30. Has anyone had this happen or something similar? I guess the person who shipped the mercury didn't declare it and had it in a shoe box from what others have told me. Any punishment and or civil actions possible for this person for their lack of declaring a hazmat item through our system?

rustys954rr

Got a text message from our preloader saying building has been shut down since 5:30 am and we should expect a :censored2: show when we get there. Get to the parking lot with all the drivers saying there has been a mercury spill in the building and we are not allowed to enter until a hazmat team comes and cleans up and verify that it is safe to enter the building. We sat outside for 6 hours and finally were told we could come in and try to do some of our deliveries and pick ups until 6:30. Has anyone had this happen or something similar? I guess the person who shipped the mercury didn't declare it and had it in a shoe box from what others have told me. Any punishment and or civil actions possible for this person for their lack of declaring a hazmat item through our system?
When I was a postal contractor we had it happen about the same way in a FedEx air can, they shut our building down for a couple weeks, grounded the plane because it had leaked out of the can. Evidently mercury severely corrodes aluminum so it was a fairly big deal. We never heard if the post office ever went after the guy who shipped it, but probably not.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I remember playing with it as a kid back in the 60’s...cool stuff..

And I survived... also as kids on a military base we ran after a mosquito spraying truck ... that contained DDT...

Good times...

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I too played with it.
And I used to follow the mosquito trucks, playing in the fog they were spraying on the public streets.
Didn't get any bites for a while afterwards.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
As a HazMat responder, who never had to respond to any incidents.
Who slept thru every video I was made to watch and still got 100% of the answers right.
Proper protocols in each mentioned incident were followed correctly.

Karma...

used to use mercurochrome on toothaches ....numbed the area and then some.....didnt even need a prescription...jut a note from parent(s)......