Merry Christmas!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does the reason why an adult would personally act this way really matter?

Yes. Is it any of my business? Of course not but the reason does matter.

Your kid is sick and has to go in to the hospital? You absolutely have to be there.

Your kid is 11 months old, in perfect health and enrolled in a great day care facility----get your ass to work.

Indecisi0n

Yes. Is it any of my business? Of course not but the reason does matter.

Your kid is sick and has to go in to the hospital? You absolutely have to be there.

Your kid is 11 months old, in perfect health and enrolled in a great day care facility----get your ass to work.

So if it does matter than what your saying is that is an appropriate question for a manager to ask someone?

If a babysitter tells you "There is someone wrong your baby and he needs to go to the hospital" then its serious enough to leave work and get your child care. I wouldn't even have the balls to ask "well can't someone else take him?"

S

serenity now

This has been my point all along. In a smaller center we need each and every one to show up each and every day during Peak. The last thing we need is for someone to wants to stay home with their 11 month old for no reason other than they feel that they are entitled to that time.

My father (not my Dad) passed away a few years ago shortly before Peak began. My brother and I had taken over his financial affairs about a year before he passed and one of the first things we did was make final arrangements. We knew that he was going to be cremated with a service at the convenience of the family. When he died my brother called me and asked me what I wanted to do. I told him that since it was basically going to be just us and a few family members and that there was no immediacy that I would like to wait until the week after Christmas. He agreed and that its what we did. My on-car and center manager both appreciated that and gave me the whole week after Christmas off as paid time.

You have posted this same phrase in the past * Who do you think is hurt by this declaration? * Is it necessary; does it serve any useful purpose?

Nimnim

The Nim
I don't have a problem with someone taking time off after the birth of a child, hell they could take 6 months off following the birth for all I care. Or taking leave for legitimate reasons, child is sick and needs urgent medical attention, need to take a day here and there for appointments to ensure the child is well and taken care of, that kinda thing.

I do have a problem with someone who has a child early in the year, in this case January, and in June/July decides they're going to take time off in December just because they want to spend time with the child and the law allows it. It's this kinda use(abuse) of the law that causes people to think badly of people who use the law properly.

If this were the end of November and the child got sick and the parent needed to use FMLA to care for them and they ended up not being at work for most/all December I doubt anyone would raise any serious objection beyond annoyance a coworker wasn't there and might have to pick up extra work.

Buck Fifty

Merry Xmas everyone and have a Happy New Year. Geez ....

Personally, I work less at Xmas than the rest of the year. If I was to cop out on my brothers, I would do it during the 3rd quarter when its friend.ing hot. Call it Xmas in July , I would.

Bizzob232

2nd generation UPSer
Lots of jealous drivers that don't want to work peak on this thread. I was lucky enough my wife had our daughter on the hottest week of june, so I got a nice week off in the a/c to play daddy. Am I abusing leave because its hot too?

This has nothing to do with jealous drivers---it has to do with what is right and what is wrong.

Congratulations on becoming a father. As the father of an adult daughter I will tell you that you will have a lot of sleepless nights in your future.

Your wife had the baby in June and you took leave shortly thereafter. That was the intent of the law.

Would you have for a moment thought of not taking leave then and delaying it until December "just to get out of working Peak"?

Right and wrong in this case is semantics. Legally he is right, morally and ethically..... Put it this way he's not wrong. I agree it's usually SOP to take the time when the child is born but quite frankly who cares when you take it? I wouldn't have done it, but who am I to judge someone else?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Right and wrong in this case is semantics. Legally he is right, morally and ethically..... Put it this way he's not wrong. I agree it's usually SOP to take the time when the child is born but quite frankly who cares when you take it? I wouldn't have done it, but who am I to judge someone else?

Let's say you work in a smaller center with 24-28 routes on road (non-Peak) and up to 36 routes during Peak. One of your co-workers became a new Daddy in January and has decided to take his (unpaid) FMLA during Peak for no reason other than he is legally allowed to do so. Peak is when we need everyone to show up every day and the last thing we need is someone who wants to use a perk designed for medical issues to hang out with his kid and watch Barney.

oldngray

nowhere special
Let's say you work in a smaller center with 24-28 routes on road (non-Peak) and up to 36 routes during Peak. One of your co-workers became a new Daddy in January and has decided to take his (unpaid) FMLA during Peak for no reason other than he is legally allowed to do so. Peak is when we need everyone to show up every day and the last thing we need is someone who wants to use a perk designed for medical issues to hang out with his kid and watch Barney.

Good point. They should be watching Spongebob.

S

serenity now

It reminds me of outside hire language; many don't agree with it, yet it is part of the contract.

Twelve workweeks of leave in a 12-month period for the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth.

I don't agree with this, but hey, he's " legally covered " so it doesn't matter what anyone thinks. That sounds vaguely familiar coming from previous outside hire discussions.

Indecisi0n

That's a great idea. Now I just need to get someone knocked up.