Mike Rowe

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Right, because people make better spending choices when the interest rates are higher lol. You know how much credit card debt people in this country have?

Another way to benefit big banks at the cost of the poor and middle class, sounds about right for a GOP plan to me.
no they'll just choose not to get a degree

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
no they'll just choose not to get a degree
Ya that's what we need, more uneducated Americans, and more foreigners taking our high paying jobs.

26OSCARSPOSTER4-articleLarge.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Dont know anything about Germany's system, but it's certainly an indictment of our public education system. They're not prepared for college and drop out rates reflect that.
I think a large percentage just have no business going to college.

Why waste years and thousands on an education when you could of started learning a trade at 16?

oldngray

nowhere special
Same here. Mom And dad paid. It was a waste of their money not mine

The problem is people going to college and getting into debt to get a degree with no job potential.

Not as popular to go to a vocational school or learn a trade but that is where the majority of good jobs are.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I think a large percentage just have no business going to college.

Why waste years and thousands on an education when you could of started learning a trade at 16?
Because they don't know until they try. That's usually how life works. If everyone knew what their job was gonna be for life when they were 16 that'd be pretty boring.

Brownslave688

Because they don't know until they try. That's usually how life works. If everyone knew what their job was gonna be for life when they were 16 that'd be pretty boring.
Well off course everyone doesn't know but many do.

The point is we shouldn't place college on this huge pedestal and put down the trades

Brownslave688

Dont know anything about Germany's system, but it's certainly an indictment of our public education system. They're not prepared for college and drop out rates reflect that.
But should we be preparing EVERY kid for college?

That's all high school is about is having the grades and right classes to get into college.

Why? Why are we forcing kids who would rather be taking a construction or welding or mechanics classes to take 4 years of English?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
But should we be preparing EVERY kid for college?

That's all high school is about is having the grades and right classes to get into college.

Why? Why are we forcing kids who would rather be taking a construction or welding or mechanics classes to take 4 years of English?
No we should not. Every kid isn't meant to go to college. Some people are gifted academically and others gifted mechanically.