Mike Rowe

refineryworker05

www.npr.org/sections/money/2012/01/13/145039131/the-transformation-of-american-factory-jobs-in-one-company

This false dichotomy between going to college vs a trade education is mostly nonsense. All jobs require training and employers in the past used to train workers long term to do those jobs.

NPR a few years back did a series of stories on US manufacturing. And one of those segments focused on a factory in South Carolina I think, and basically they profiled 2 workers one low skilled, and one highly skilled who ran CNC machines. The basic message from the owner was he didn't want to risk wasting money training people to do the job because they might not be any good or they could take their skills elsewhere.

Yet the job was requiring more knowledge of metals and how to program those CNC machines, basically because employers push the cost of training unto workers in America, the idea of apprenticeships don't work in the America labor market. So a lot of people think if Im going to have to spend money getting extra training, a college education makes sense.

So again if Mike Rowe isn't addressing that issue, he is peeing into the wind.

Last edited:

BrownArmy

www.npr.org/sections/money/2012/01/13/145039131/the-transformation-of-american-factory-jobs-in-one-company

This false dichotomy between going to college vs a trade education is mostly nonsense. All jobs require training and employers in the past used to train workers long term to do those jobs.

NPR a few years back did a series of stories on US manufacturing. And one of those segments focused on a factory in South Carolina I think, and basically they profiled 2 workers one low skilled, and one highly skilled who ran CNC machines. The basic message from the owner was he didn't want to risk wasting money training people to do the job because they might not be any good or they could take their skills elsewhere.

Yet the job was requiring more knowledge of metals and how to program those CNC machines, basically because employers push the cost of training unto workers in America, the idea of apprenticeships don't work in the America labor market. So a lot of people think if Im going to have to spend money getting extra training, a college education makes sense.

So again if Mike Rowe isn't addressing that issue, he is peeing into the wind.

Probably correct.

It almost doesn't matter - here's a paraphrase of a R. Nader quote:

The only difference between Democrats and Republicans is how fast they get on their knees when their corporate backers say, 'Service me'.

Both parties can pay lip service to 'workers', but, where's the money?

I'm constantly amazed that we're still the richest country in the world, yet we can barely take care of our populace.

On a side note, the Equifax nonsense is a perfect example of what's wrong with our system - the government is populated by people who are financed by corporations that expect their pound of flesh vis-a-vis legislation.

Let me see if I get this straight: my personal info was most likely hacked from a company I never voluntarily signed up for, but which has a guiding hand in my financial future, simply by fiat.

And now they want to charge me for credit monitoring? For real? (yes, they walked that one back, idiots...)

There aren't enough bags of dcks for these people to suck.

Back to the thread topic, this is the government we have - of the corporation, by the corporation, and for the corporation.

It just doesn't make shareholder short-term money to train people for long-term jobs.

Sorry.

refineryworker05

Probably correct.

It almost doesn't matter - here's a paraphrase of a R. Nader quote:

The only difference between Democrats and Republicans is how fast they get on their knees when their corporate backers say, 'Service me'.

Both parties can pay lip service to 'workers', but, where's the money?

I'm constantly amazed that we're still the richest country in the world, yet we can barely take care of our populace.

On a side note, the Equifax nonsense is a perfect example of what's wrong with our system - the government is populated by people who are financed by corporations that expect their pound of flesh vis-a-vis legislation.

Let me see if I get this straight: my personal info was most likely hacked from a company I never voluntarily signed up for, but which has a guiding hand in my financial future, simply by fiat.

And now they want to charge me for credit monitoring? For real? (yes, they walked that one back, idiots...)

There aren't enough bags of dcks for these people to suck.

Back to the thread topic, this is the government we have - of the corporation, by the corporation, and for the corporation.

It just doesn't make shareholder short-term money to train people for long-term jobs.

Sorry.

No doubt that the Democratic party is conflicted between owners and workers and the party does favor the rich, but the Republican party is hostile to labor and actively tries to stymie it, whereas the Democrats sometimes tries to stymie labor and sometimes doesn't. I am not like the Democrats are great, but on this issue they are far better than republicans even though Democrats generally suck on labor issues as well.

The rest of your post is spot on. These "credit" agencies are the original facebook, google, amazon when it comes to collecting your personal information and they face no penalty for getting it wrong, no penalty for putting false info on your account, and no penalty for getting hacked and exposing you to all kinds of bs that will then impact your "credit score". Its a huge scam.