Mileage progression

feeder14

Hello all, I recently started working at UPS as a feeder driver. I was hired off the street so I'm new to all the ups stuff. I have been a teamster for 14 years so I am familiar with the union. My question is about the progression pay for mileage drivers. The contract states the its 70% of the mileage rate in 2002 and we are now in 2014 WTH is up with that. How is it that we are getting payed based on a pay rate that's 12 years old. And it also states that the progression for mileage drivers is 3 years but feeders is 4 years. So if I have a mileage run for 3 years I'll be at top rate but if I go back to a feeder run before my forth year I'll be back on progression. This too confusing.

rkctkc

I am in first year of progression, but when I run a mileage I have always gotten top rate mileage pay for it. I don't even know why. I've never complained.

UPS4Life

I am in first year of progression, but when I run a mileage I have always gotten top rate mileage pay for it. I don't even know why. I've never complained.
I wouldn't say that again. I ran mileage in progression and it was prorated so I called the The driver I ran with and he showed me in the contract book where it does say about in progression drivers are prorated off the mileage rate from 2002. Called the BA to confirm and he said the same thing. Stupid but it is what it is. Can't win them all

Sent using BrownCafe App

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Bigger question: how do drivers not at top scale get to run mileage? Consider yourself lucky...

rkctkc

The coverage driver that won the bid for the week called in last minute all three times that I got to run one

feeder14

I had to go on sleeper team last week and the difference in pay of 70% at 2002 rate vs 70% at today's rate is $452 that's a lot of money. My point is if they changed the progression rate for hourly work why is it that for mileage work it has stayed the same for 12 years. The union dropped the ball on this one.

feeder14

The only problem with getting top rate now is that when UPS notices it they will want their money back. Hope it doesn't happen to you but chances are they will notice. Good luck.

feeder14

I know I'm new and I need to pay my dues. I have no problem being on progression and working my way up to top rate. But a progression rate based on 2002 contract is bull :censored2:. We're in 2014 it should be based on the mileage pay from this contract.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I know I'm new and I need to pay my dues. I have no problem being on progression and working my way up to top rate. But a progression rate based on 2002 contract is bull :censored2:. We're in 2014 it should be based on the mileage pay from this contract.

Talk to your union steward and file a grievance.

rkctkc

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm in southern region. threw my union book out because I was gonna get the new book, but when I asked for a new copy they told me they don't have any yet. So I can't even read up on the language for feeder progression

UPS4Life

Bigger question: how do drivers not at top scale get to run mileage? Consider yourself lucky...
I was fortunate when the team was on vacation the team that covered one driver couldn't go for the week so I was called and asked if I would go.

As I said very lucky for the opportunity enjoyed it for what it was, wouldn't mind doing it a couple times throughout the year if given the chance but only with the right person. You have to have full faith in the person driving when you crawl into the bunk to sleep.

Sent using BrownCafe App

feeder14

Talk to your union steward and file a grievance.

I asked about filling a grievance but it's in the master contract that the progression rate for mileage bids are based on the 2002 mileage rate so that's a grievance we would not win. I guess the union just don't care if the new drivers can afford to feed their family or pay their mortgage. And with all these damn DOT rules we cant even go out and get a second job. I do hope at the it will all be worth it.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1415417257.390529.jpg

Last edited: