Minimum wage general strike

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The problem with society is it's too big. Every civilization that's got too big falls. They can't feed themselves and the economy always trickles up. Trickle down economy was a great idea with the worst execution ever. And the other issue is people are ignorant of civics. If more people got involved with what was happening in their City Halls and their immediate neighborhoods, things would be a bit rosier. I'd rather be pissed once in a while about a nosey neighbor who is looking out for the community than one that doesn't give two ****s about anyone but themselves.

8Keys

[/LEFT] I'm a PT'er at UPS, but one of the guys on the picket line today told a local news crew he only brings home about $250 every two weeks. It could be a lot better, but I bring home between $300-350 a week and that's after taxes, 2% to my 401k, union dues, and $3 to DRIVE. And I have no-cost benefits, paid vacations, and sick days. Not to mention job protection and seniority rights. There's simply no comparison to be made; a lot of these folks in fast food or retail are barely getting by. Granted, I split a house with two other dudes but I can afford to take my old lady out somewhere nice once or twice a month and can get a six pack of craft beer on the weekend.
If you think about it, first year employees at UPS are not much better off than the guys on that picket line. Unless they are getting tuition reimbursement, or are interested in "paying their dues" towards a long career at UPS. $250 for two weeks is about what our new hires are taking home, and it takes a while before the other benefits you mention start to factor in. If I were a new hire today at UPS and saw how much work they want me to do for $8.50 I'd probably quit and get a job at McDonald's.

The problem with society is it's too big. Every civilization that's got too big falls. They can't feed themselves and the economy always trickles up. Trickle down economy was a great idea with the worst execution ever. And the other issue is people are ignorant of civics. If more people got involved with what was happening in their City Halls and their immediate neighborhoods, things would be a bit rosier. I'd rather be pissed once in a while about a nosey neighbor who is looking out for the community than one that doesn't give two ****s about anyone but themselves.
That's why we have to evolve and learn new things.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
If you think about it, first year employees at UPS are not much better off than the guys on that picket line. Unless they are getting tuition reimbursement, or are interested in "paying their dues" towards a long career at UPS. $250 for two weeks is about what our new hires are taking home, and it takes a while before the other benefits you mention start to factor in. If I were a new hire today at UPS and saw how much work they want me to do for $8.50 I'd probably quit and get a job at McDonald's.

You're absolutely right and I hope the issue of starting wages doesn't get kicked down the road again in 2018 with the mentality of, "well, we took care of them back in 2013, we can relax for the next 20 years." But at least they have a legitimate shot at earning a decent wage further on down the road.

RealPerson

If minimum wage was set at $15/hour, don't you think UPS would have to up the ante a bit as far as starting pay is concerned?

Yeah They would raise it to Min wage....
In my mind at $10 an hour for the NEW contract, and doing Double a normal jobs work in 3.5 hours, PT people are making $5 an hour.
UPS starting wage should ALWAYS be double Min wage!
No Benefits for a year+ Ouch... New contract I guess health is sooner now, but I think they are just following the new Obama care guide lines

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Yeah They would raise it to Min wage....
In my mind at $10 an hour for the NEW contract, and doing Double a normal jobs work in 3.5 hours, PT people are making $5 an hour.
UPS starting wage should ALWAYS be double Min wage!
No Benefits for a year+ Ouch... New contract I guess health is sooner now, but I think they are just following the new Obama care guide lines

Qualification for benefits went from 30 days to 90 days (when I was hired) at one point. In the '08-'13 contract, it was raised from 90 days to 1 year for single coverage and 18 months for family coverage along with going from 6 months to 1 year for paid holidays. 90 days for benefits/6 months for paid holidays is fair, in my opinion. Now, under the TA, it's 1 year across the board for benefits; we never should have allowed benefits to take longer than 90 days to kick in but I guess '08 was all about concessions in exchange for card check at UPS Freight.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
You're absolutely right and I hope the issue of starting wages doesn't get kicked down the road again in 2018 with the mentality of, "well, we took care of them back in 2013, we can relax for the next 20 years." But at least they have a legitimate shot at earning a decent wage further on down the road.

Unreal...where's the suggestions regarding where the $$ is going to come from and what the ripple effect will be?? Not for Arby's or McDonald's, but what about small business? Any clue? Will you walk into my B&M and pay me $100. more per unit because I have to pay my employees $15.00 vs. $8.00/hour now? I ask again. Any clue?
Don't take this the wrong way, but a PT loader is not a career or even a real job.

I'm just glad I didn't raise my kids with the mentality of "if it looks too hard, don't do it", which some of your comments imply.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Unreal...where's the suggestions regarding where the $$ is going to come from and what the ripple effect will be?? Not for Arby's or McDonald's, but what about small business? Any clue? Will you walk into my B&M and pay me $100. more per unit because I have to pay my employees $15.00 vs. $8.00/hour now? I ask again. Any clue?
Don't take this the wrong way, but a PT loader is not a career or even a real job.

I'm just glad I didn't raise my kids with the mentality of "if it looks too hard, don't do it", which some of your comments imply.

Sounds like you're also raising your kids not to stand up for themselves and to participate in the Horatio Alger myth. They'd be great future PT supervisors at UPS.

If a business can't afford to pay its workers a living wage, it doesn't deserve to exist.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Sounds like you're also raising your kids not to stand up for themselves and to participate in the Horatio Alger myth. They'd be great future PT supervisors at UPS.

If a business can't afford to pay its workers a living wage, it doesn't deserve to exist.

You sound like you're 17 years old. Someday you'll grow up and get it. Hey, why not take advantage of that Tuition Reimbursement someone wrote about up top there? You can get a "Bachelor's equivalent" degree and make BANK"

I won't go into my kid's careers, but with the hard work, determination and some planning, they are doing well. They got past the PT Loader phase of their lives around 16.

Last edited:

texan

You sound like you're 17 years old. Someday you'll grow up and get it. Hey, why not take advantage of that Tuition Reimbursement someone wrote about up top there?

I won't go into my kid's careers, but with the hard work, determination and some planning, they are doing well. They got past the PT Loader phase of their lives around 16.
I agree and strongly disagree. Conflicted aren't I?

Some have tried and waited in line to go from part time, to permanent with great grief and sorrow.

In this current economy, good jobs with medical and other perks (vacation, personal days, etc) are not
easy to obtain.

So some part times wait, hope, and pray that an opening occurs.

Yet I agree with your post that some need to strive and dream beyond what they see in front of them.

Some should reflect and count your Blessing.

Many ask me when I go from work, to a public place (in identifiable colors), for milk, and other semi-daily
refills, how can I get a job at UPS?

PT Car Washer

Is a FT loader making $25.00 an hour a real job? Is sweeping the floors FT for $30.70 an hour a real job? Who are you to decide. Union jobs deserve Union wages and benefits. Not min. wages.

WESLA

It is what it is
This is one of, if not the, best topics I've read on brown cafe thus far.
I've been keeping up with the fast food strikes as well. Hasn't quite hit my neck of the woods yet, but I'll certainly be of support if, and when it does.
We've gotta start holding ourselves more accountable for what's going on in America.
It's nice to see Americans standing up. Maybe it will continue to be a trend....

WESLA

It is what it is

America has become "Corporate America"
So lets just say in my state the minimum wage goes up....
Take a a company that makes billions of dollars a year like Walmart, and then comparable, on a very small scale, Your local grocery store. Walmart can afford this new minimum wage and still keep its prices down, whereas Joes store has no choice but to pass this cost on to the consumer. It's already hard enough for this small hometown grocer to compete with this big corporation, and now the minimum wage increase could potentially put Joe out of business. So the wage increase is terrible for these small businesses and great for corporations. Unless..... Americans wake up and start supporting their towns and small businesses. Take Walmart out of the picture and Joe has no reason to raise their prices due to an increase in minimum wage,because now their community is buying from them, and they are making way more profit than before....
Same goes for large franchise restaurants vs. your local restaurants

This is only theory of course