MIP Formal Presentation

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Let's see ... it was a tradition at UPS, before 1997, that we never had a nationwide strike. :wink2:

I guess some traditions go by the wayside.

That could definitely make things clearer! I never considered the possibility that I was being retaliated against for my peers and predecessors protecting their rights.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Edit of my previous post for clarity, since some members seem to have difficulty getting the big picture (and become extremely reactive to what they've misconstrued...):
Ok...your right about the thrift plan which I believe I was part of for the first year of my employment but this is gone as you stated. So what can be done for todays employee besides taking away a damn turkey

As well as our incentives for safety and years of service.

I would like to hear more about how important tradition is, and why it is.

Let's see ... it was a tradition at UPS, before 1997, that we never had a nationwide strike. :wink2:

I guess some traditions go by the wayside.

That could definitely make things clearer! I never considered the possibility that I was being retaliated against for my peers and predecessors protecting their rights.
:peaceful:

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Tradition...I have a few MIPs to send out in the housemail. The presentation effect is definitely gone. I think the half month check was deposited without notification for the first time ever, too. No real loss as long as the funds don't go the way of the tradition.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Tradition...I have a few MIPs to send out in the housemail. The presentation effect is definitely gone. I think the half month check was deposited without notification for the first time ever, too. No real loss as long as the funds don't go the way of the tradition.

Fb...that will probably be happening sooner than you think. 20 years from now nobody will know what mip is and nobody but a few will be none the wiser....

tarbar66

.Not trying to hijack the thread but has there ever been discussions on how to bring hourly employees into some sort of profit sharing program??Why do so many hourly folks feel like outsiders who never feel like they are part of the company...its always stated that this is managements company and hourly just "work" here. There seems to be no pride of ownership within the hourly ranks even though the drivers are the face of this company to our customers. I know I have a huge amount of clout when dealing with my customers on issues related to ups...much more that mgt probably realizes, as do other drivers.

I seem to remember profit sharing was brought to the table with the Teamsters Union during contract negotiations.

Like many other good proposals nothing ever happened with it!

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Man I loved the thrift plan. 3 times the annual growth of the company. I was there for some 21,22 % growth years. Easiest money I have ever made.

brownIEman

.Not trying to hijack the thread but has there ever been discussions on how to bring hourly employees into some sort of profit sharing program??Why do so many hourly folks feel like outsiders who never feel like they are part of the company...its always stated that this is managements company and hourly just "work" here. There seems to be no pride of ownership within the hourly ranks even though the drivers are the face of this company to our customers. I know I have a huge amount of clout when dealing with my customers on issues related to ups...much more that mgt probably realizes, as do other drivers.

A profit sharing plan was offered as part of one of the many comprehensive proposals offered during the 1997 negotiations. It was a bonus plan based on the profits of the company. I am reminded of it every time I read someone on this board decry the evil corporate greed of this company and the record profits the company has enjoyed of the past several years (to 2007 anyway). Those profits would have translated into huge bonuses for UPSers had the plan been put into effect, of course it would not have affected or increase union dues one iota. Not a huge surprise it was quickly demonized and rejected by the IBT...

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
A profit sharing plan was offered as part of one of the many comprehensive proposals offered during the 1997 negotiations. It was a bonus plan based on the profits of the company. I am reminded of it every time I read someone on this board decry the evil corporate greed of this company and the record profits the company has enjoyed of the past several years (to 2007 anyway). Those profits would have translated into huge bonuses for UPSers had the plan been put into effect, of course it would not have affected or increase union dues one iota. Not a huge surprise it was quickly demonized and rejected by the IBT...

It also came with a .35 raise every other year. Mgmnt gets an MIP bonus every year yet still whined last year when it did not get a raise. Bonuses don't build the base wage.

brownIEman

It also came with a .35 raise every other year. Mgmnt gets an MIP bonus every year yet still whined last year when it did not get a raise. Bonuses don't build the base wage.

No, bonuses do not build the base wage. They build in a way to automatically reward employees when a company is successful and automatically save money when times are hard.

When there are no automatic adjusters, the adjustments must be made manually. For instance, forgoing raises for management, cutting overtime for hourlies and pushing as hard as possible for more and more production out of each hour paid to the hourlies.

In either case, weather it be a management person whining about the raise freeze, or an hourly whining about how hard and constant the push for more production is, they are both behaving in a manner that shows ignorance of the current place UPS occupies in the market. IMO.

airbusfxr

I got stuck with 800 shares of OPL through a ponzi scheme. UPS paid pennies on the dollars and all is forgotten. No raise or benefit enhancement since 2005, but the fat cats get fatter. Now that's UPS tradition.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I got stuck with 800 shares of OPL through a ponzi scheme. UPS paid pennies on the dollars and all is forgotten. No raise or benefit enhancement since 2005, but the fat cats get fatter. Now that's UPS tradition.

At $43/hr plus a full benefit and pension package I doubt many of you are on public assistance.

My on-car is hardly what you would call a fat cat. He used his MIP stock to put his 3 kids through college and is using more to pay for his daughter's wedding. He also shows up at 7am each day and is there until at least 7pm each night if not later. MIP is part of their compensation package much like the 401k match is part of yours.

airbusfxr

I ask only for fair days pay for fair days work. Yes mechanics sleep in trucks but when big bird readies for long range flight they jump to t/s dispatch issues. Other mechanics work tasks that are crucial to safe and legal flight, which most outsiders never see or understand. The RLA of 1929 is used by UPS in a manner it was not intended.

island1fox

:wink2:Lets get this thread back on its point.
How MIP was and is distributed. Many years ago a District Mgr that held all of the districts meetings in "house" to save money, never had Golf outings or anything else for Management over the year came very close to losing his job for a "formal" MIP distribution. The district held an all day meeting with the new Mip recipients with complete group and one on one explanations of the entire stock ownership program and a lunch.
In the evening the District Manager had the spouses of the Staff come in -personally thanked them for all the sacrifices during the year they had to make such as relocate, pull the kids out of school , have many months seperation from their spouses etc,etc. He then presented the couple with their MIP and had a dinner.
He was accused of having a "Christmas Party" even though his discetionary spending was way below plan and the best in the country.
With all the cuts today do you really believe a District Manager would spend money on a formal presentation ?
As with many things --you cannot just look at the cost ---some things have long term effects and are priceless !!!:wink2:
What say you ?

pretzel_man

When you bought UPS stock you were forced to buy OPL. You were NOT forced to keep it. Even if you bought UPS stock at the last possible day, you still had 3 months before OPL was frozen?

Why didn't you sell it?

You are complaining about the money lost on OPL. Why are you not mentioning the virtues of the money you made on the UPS stock you bought then?

Its growth greatly outweighed the OPL loss.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
:wink2:Lets get this thread back on its point.
How MIP was and is distributed. Many years ago a District Mgr that held all of the districts meetings in "house" to save money, never had Golf outings or anything else for Management over the year came very close to losing his job for a "formal" MIP distribution. The district held an all day meeting with the new Mip recipients with complete group and one on one explanations of the entire stock ownership program and a lunch.
In the evening the District Manager had the spouses of the Staff come in -personally thanked them for all the sacrifices during the year they had to make such as relocate, pull the kids out of school , have many months seperation from their spouses etc,etc. He then presented the couple with their MIP and had a dinner.
He was accused of having a "Christmas Party" even though his discetionary spending was way below plan and the best in the country.
With all the cuts today do you really believe a District Manager would spend money on a formal presentation ?
As with many things --you cannot just look at the cost ---some things have long term effects and are priceless !!!:wink2:
What say you ?

Formal in my part of the world just meant you met with the district manager and he thanked you, pointed at the number on the statement and gave you the opportunity to ask a question or two.

I'd say taking the entire district MIP management staff and their wives out to dinner is a bit more than the formal presentation most people are used to.

It does sound a little like a good excuse to get away with a Christmas party.