Who holds our pensions?

newgirl

Anyone have a rundown of where pensions are? Are there 3 kinds or just 2?
Portable, traditional, 401k.

Need some info, I'm a little confused

zeev

Traditional was sold to MetLife, Portable is appropriate because of its small size, I expect it to disappear in the future no need to keep it around when Express doesn’t exist.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
My traditional retirement stubs come from a company called State Street. I haven’t bothered to see who owns them.

Okay. Quick search…
9820BD5C-ED1C-4556-B265-B9715FF05949.jpeg
CC1EB4AF-42DB-4AB7-A83A-AE0BA9325A1D.png

Last edited:

NC man

State Street sends mine monthly

Can I lose my pension if my company is sold?​

In most cases, a workplace pension’s held by a pension fund rather than the employer. Therefore, if the company is sold or even goes bust, your pension won’t be affected. Some employers like the NHS manage their own pension

last I read fedex pension was funded with 25 billion

Artee

Thanks everyone. Not sure what they can touch or not.

I wonder what June 1st will bring
FedEx doesn't have anything to do with the traditional pension anymore since they sold that off a few years back.

I suppose if FDX goes bankrupt like United Airlines back in 2002 then they could not pay out the portable.

the 401k is not a pension, but your retirement savings plan which FDX cannot access your money.

What worries you about June 1st? If you don't have any idea what that date means by now and you have no idea what is going on with your money or the FDX pensions you must have been living in Iran the last 10 years.

zeev

Pensions disappear all the time, all Express employees get a letter every year saying how funded their pension is, everybody throws it away. A severely downsized company and a massive exodus of employees doesn’t look good for portable.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The pertinent question is, are you VESTED in the portable pension plan. Vested denotes ownership. If vested, then your money is yours, not the company’s, and cannot be taken from you.

zeev

Many people have been receiving a pension than it stops ,not enough money not adequately funded. Obviously they were vested.

I’ve never heard of anyone‘s pension check who retired from Express being stopped.
I don't know how the FedEx pension works but if you was not vested you would not get a pension

In any pension plan no matter what company you work for need to have five years accredited service to be vested into a pension

Years ago the time frame was longer than that

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I don't know how the FedEx pension works but if you was not vested you would not get a pension

In any pension plan no matter what company you work for need to have five years accredited service to be vested into a pension

Years ago the time frame was longer than that
One had to be vested for five years to be eligible for the traditional pension. Anyone hired after 2008 (I think) isn’t eligible for it regardless.

Last edited: