MIP

dudebro

Hourlies make decisions all of the time.
Yea, but generally myopic, self interested ones. I was here in the mid 90s when the corp thought pulling back on mgmt was the way to go. Payroll cost skyrocketed and service levels, which everyone said would be the payback, didn't budge. And, at the end of five years of that, a strike.. Coming out of the work stoppage in 1997 allowed the company some cover to switch from Oz to Jim Kelly, and renew the focus on productivity.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Yea, but generally myopic, self interested ones. I was here in the mid 90s when the corp thought pulling back on mgmt was the way to go. Payroll cost skyrocketed and service levels, which everyone said would be the payback, didn't budge. And, at the end of five years of that, a strike.. Coming out of the work stoppage in 1997 allowed the company some cover to switch from Oz to Jim Kelly, and renew the focus on productivity.

I probably would be classified as one of those “myopic, self interested hourlies”. I make decisions all the time and my manager is more than happy that we run our own small operation, less headache for him.

I believe that Oz was retired back in 1997 and Kelly was in charge during the strike, that mid nineties phase of permitting the senior hourlies to have any say in operations was very short lived even before the strike. Too much water under the bridge and most of saw through the facade if we got too uppity.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Wow- you've been here forever.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
I probably would be classified as one of those “myopic, self interested hourlies”. I make decisions all the time and my manager is more than happy that we run our own small operation, less headache for him.

I believe that Oz was retired back in 1997 and Kelly was in charge during the strike, that mid nineties phase of permitting the senior hourlies to have any say in operations was very short lived even before the strike. Too much water under the bridge and most of saw through the facade if we got too uppity.
I only have 3 years but I have an ideo- START US TWO HOURS EARLIER

dudebro

I said generally. I let people make decisions when they show they make good ones. Why micromanage stuff that doesn't need managing?

Having said that, back in the olden days I remember auditing a building in Brooklyn and finding a long line of people at the counter. The counter employees had taken it upon themselves to institute "summer hours" on Fridays and close at 2pm, so people had to line up and often not get in. Shame on management for letting that happen when we told people it was open until 6pm.

Oz was gone at the end of 1996 but it was still his touchy feely culture hanging around throughout 97. I remember a drastically different focus after the stoppage.