Mirrors

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We were told that our center gets "charged" $1500 for having an "accident" whenever a mirror gets broken.

The last time I broke a mirror (it happened in the AM) I drove by the shop to get it fixed. The mechanic grabbed a box of replacement glass off of the shelf, removed what was left of the old glass out of the frame, peeled the adhesive backing off of the new one, stuck it on there, and I was good to go. Elapsed time; less that 5 minutes. Cost of replacement glass; less than $10.

Mirrors get cracked in the real world. Maybe instead of getting our panties in a knot and charging the driver with an "accident" and doing an OJS and making him sit in the "safety zone" for a week reciting acronyms and commentaries...we could dispense with the drama queen routine and just replace the damn thing and get to work.

Bristol Brown

We were told that our center gets "charged" $1500 for having an "accident" whenever a mirror gets broken.

The last time I broke a mirror (it happened in the AM) I drove by the shop to get it fixed. The mechanic grabbed a box of replacement glass off of the shelf, removed what was left of the old glass out of the frame, peeled the adhesive backing off of the new one, stuck it on there, and I was good to go. Elapsed time; less that 5 minutes. Cost of replacement glass; less than $10.

Mirrors get cracked in the real world. Maybe instead of getting our panties in a knot and charging the driver with an "accident" and doing an OJS and making him sit in the "safety zone" for a week reciting acronyms and commentaries...we could dispense with the drama queen routine and just replace the damn thing and get to work.

Top post but you should know that UPS doesn`t do common sense.

brownelf

amen to that. they now spend $1490 doing follow-ups and reports (w/circles & arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one) to replace a $10 mirror.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'm confused. How far out are your guys' mirrors that you are worried about losing an arm??? Or are you using the mirror extenders that you use when pulling a 5th wheel? I can turn my mirrors just by twisting the hinge right outside my door.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm confused. How far out are your guys' mirrors that you are worried about losing an arm??? Or are you using the mirror extenders that you use when pulling a 5th wheel? I can turn my mirrors just by twisting the hinge right outside my door.

Some of the new P-7's have mirrors mounted low and forward. You cannot reach them from inside the cab. And even on the ones you can reach, the danger is when you are getting ready to leave and you have to reach out and grab the mirror in order to put it back into position. With the mirror folded in, you cannot see anything coming up behind you on the drivers side.

My experience has been that, over time, the spring that holds tension on the mirror arm tends to loosen up the more you fold the mirror in and out. In a day or two it can easily get so loose that driving at freeway speeds will cause the mirror to fold in just from the force of its own wind resistance. This is unsafe when it occurs at 50 MPH. Once I get my mirrors set to where I want them, I leave them alone unless I am in a driveway with thick branches that might break them.

brownedout

My driver's school training was in a big city and I wasn't trained that way. If I was, I would do the same as you. I am glad I wasn't. As over stated, its not worth your arm. As I said, it takes all day to re-adjust the mirror in any truck I have driven in my center. I don't have that kind of time, or that amount of concern. Charge me with an accident and I guarantee I will get it thrown out.

Be careful with that guarantee m n y. Our center just had to PCM regarding this in the last month or so. BA's were present that day and at PCM. When drivers protested to them they were told it was a done deal, a hearing had already been had, and lost on the matter. As with any other method, once we're on our own, which is not the case anymore, we're all going to do whatever we're going to do. Fold them in; Don't fold them in. I never thought I would (fold them in that is) But there are roads that I have always worried about mirrors getting clipped where I have begun to fold them in. Just sayin'

menotyou

bella amicizia
Be careful with that guarantee m n y. Our center just had to PCM regarding this in the last month or so. BA's were present that day and at PCM. When drivers protested to them they were told it was a done deal, a hearing had already been had, and lost on the matter. As with any other method, once we're on our own, which is not the case anymore, we're all going to do whatever we're going to do. Fold them in; Don't fold them in. I never thought I would (fold them in that is) But there are roads that I have always worried about mirrors getting clipped where I have begun to fold them in. Just sayin'

Someone has been paid off.

barnyard

KTM rider
We were told to fold our mirrors in. One day, I did it, every stop. My left shoulder was really sore. Then it occurred to me that it was sore from making an end-range motion. During the next PCM, I asked if they wanted me to continue using an end-range motion, way outside of my power zone. My follow-up question was, "How many mirrors have we broke in hit-while-parked crashes??"

The push to fold in mirrors pretty much stopped after that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of my co-workers was parked in a loading zone on the busiest street in Lake Placid. He did not fold his mirrors in as we were never instructed to do so. As he was heading back to the PC he watched this RV come down the street. The mirrors on the RV took out the mirrors on the PC. I don't recall as to whether he was charged with an accident or not.

barnyard

KTM rider
One of my co-workers was parked in a loading zone on the busiest street in Lake Placid. He did not fold his mirrors in as we were never instructed to do so. As he was heading back to the PC he watched this RV come down the street. The mirrors on the RV took out the mirrors on the PC. I don't recall as to whether he was charged with an accident or not.

That is seriously, the 1st mirror that I have ever heard that was wrecked by a hit while parked incident.

Does not matter though. If one person wrecks their shoulder because of the end of range motion, that is a $25,000 cost to save a $10 mirror.

packageguy

Over the past year or so we have been instructed to pull in our mirrors for safety reasons. While I agree to do this if I am at a dock or parked in a narrow space, I have refused to do this if it requires me too "stick my hand out in the middle of traffic". Is this happening in other areas ? If so, how does everyone else handling this ?

Yes, for us about a year or so,

TheKid

That is seriously, the 1st mirror that I have ever heard that was wrecked by a hit while parked incident.

Does not matter though. If one person wrecks their shoulder because of the end of range motion, that is a $25,000 cost to save a $10 mirror.
We have had a few

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't get it. UPS values their friggin mirror so much that they don't care if you blindly have to stick your hand out into traffic to push it back out? These idiots that though that up should be duct taped to the outside of the drivers door and left to stare at the traffic zooming by. You guys are looney tunes if you pull your mirrors in at every stop. If they told you that you had to blindly jump out the drivers door at every stop would you do that too? Sadly I believe some of you would.