Misdemeanor Conviction

drewed

Shankman
Yah, I think his mother is going to pay to get that non discloser filed. Afterall, she is getting tired of watching a man play video games 24X7.... The modern day scarlet letter does pose a huge problem to society. A cousin moved in while looking for work. He was running up my bills for months on end and bumming for gas monies. I finally asked him why he could not get employment with an MBA???? He fessed up to a prank he pulled back in 1991 involving setting fires to cardboard bales behind a KMart. Being gainfully employed by the same firm for 15 years, he never realized just how much that would catch up with him.

Id say he didnt learn his lesson and his mom should of kicked his ass out long ago

smf0605

The Old Guard would assume any new hire would eventually try to move on up to p/car and would do full backgrounds on everyone!! When I was hired they did a background check,called all three referances and fingerprinted me.That was in the 80's they have really let there guard down these past few years!!!!

Covemaster - the funny thing about those fingerprints - although we would fingerprint everyone - we didn't do a thing with them except put them in the personnel file. They were honestly more of a scare tactic than anything else. (Although they did come in handy once when some detectives came and picked up a set when they had a body they were trying to identify.)

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Covemaster - the funny thing about those fingerprints - although we would fingerprint everyone - we didn't do a thing with them except put them in the personnel file. They were honestly more of a scare tactic than anything else. (Although they did come in handy once when some detectives came and picked up a set when they had a body they were trying to identify.)
They fingerprint? Wow! Didn't know that.

Guess I got lucky:wink2:

stringerman85

I had a friend who was charged with a misdemeanor for posession of a stolen vehicle, spent a couple nights in jail, back in 1999. (Him and his friends stole cars, He straigtened up after that though) He got a job at UPS in 2001, maybe 2002....I think they only frown on "felonies"

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You must have been hired before ink was invented dilli. :laughing:

I'm surprised they would hire anyone with any kind of theft background.
No not that long ago, but the OMS that was there when I started was so lazy she couldn't got off her :censored2: to answer the phone. I think they just ran out and didn't bother to order anymore.:surprised:

OH Chev dear, your turn is coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
wow !!! and I thought they were using them when dusting finger prints off of mis/loads or clo pkgs after 5 to see who had them lol lol lol:happy2::happy2:

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Rod

They have in a lot of areas. But i believe that in the arena of theft, they can not hire someone that has a conviction of any type. I believe it has to do with bonding issues.

On a side note, our center has 2 black drivers and maybe 3-4 part timers. During one PCM given by the HR guy trying to get new hires signed up, (the HR guy is black as well), one of them piped up and asked how come there were no black people hired lately, because he had sent a lot up to the center to put in applications. Made a real nasty stink about it.

The HR guy quietly replied that every one of the applicants he had interviewed had a criminal history for theft(he did not say felony or misdemeanor). And several for DWI. So to please send applicants he could hire. And knowing the driver had two sons, one in college, and one a senior in high school, said "why dont you get your sons to apply.

They both did, both got jobs. One lasted 3 days, the other one a bit more than three weeks.

The driver as never since brought the subject up again.

That was over 5 years ago, and we still have the same mix of employees, even though many new part time employees have been hired.
So wait, what did the fact that the people you're telling the story about are black have to do with anything? Your story would still make PERFECT sense without mentioning who was black and who was not!

chev

Nightcrawler
No not that long ago, but the OMS that was there when I started was so lazy she couldn't got off her :censored2: to answer the phone. I think they just ran out and didn't bother to order anymore.:surprised:

OH Chev dear, your turn is coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
:laughing:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
So wait, what did the fact that the people you're telling the story about are black have to do with anything? Your story would still make PERFECT sense without mentioning who was black and who was not

Well, to the subject at hand, it really had not much to do with it. But as it happened, it did. I chose to tell the whole story as it happened. No real reason, its just that it happened the way it was told.

Bottom line is that if you do the crime, you will not get hired.

d

nemo

I know when I went through the info session the day prior to my orientation for a driver helper position this year that the HR rep for my hub stressed background checks would be run. His comment was that he wouldn't be hiring anyone with a felony on their record, nor would he be hiring someone who had a misdemeanor for theft. He said with anything on your record about theft that they basically couldn't take the risk.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Native

Let me explain it this way.

When the driver in question asked the question, he was trying to make a point about the racial inequality of the raicial mix at UPS. Then, when the story was told, it was very plain that the lack of minorities at UPS had nothing to do with race, but other serious issues. The race card was played, but it was proven to be a non issue, which was the point i was trying to make.

Does that clear anything up for you?

d

herbigharo32

I'm not so sure about the whole race card, but here is the ethnic mix in the hub (work area) I work at:

1. Black/African Descent: 6
2. White/European Descent: 11
3. Mexican/Hispanic: 12
4. Asian/Other: 3

Being a white dude, it would seem that I am in the minority :happy2:

herbigharo32

The cold truth about the reason minorities often have a public criminal background is due to the fact they often can not afford private attorneys. This leads to reliance on public defenders who will take the first deal that the DA tosses on the table. This first deal is often what is referred to as "straight probation", which can not qualify for order of non discloser. Those who can afford an attorney will likely get a memorandum dismissal agreement or deferred adjudication for which an order of non discloser can be filed thus sealing the fact the crime really ever took place!

rod

Retired 22 years
The cold truth about the reason minorities often have a public criminal background is due to the fact they often can not afford private attorneys. quote]

Bull -whether or not you have a criminal background has nothing to do with race. It's a very simple idea-criminals tend to have a criminal background.

herbigharo32

In Texas, a first offender can typically get that deferred removed from public records; only law enforcement has access. For repeat offenders and career criminals, that's a whole new story. The only way to get convictions sealed is one would have to either get a pardon from Governor, via Board of Pardon and Paroles, or get conviction set aside by a judge. A career criminal has really no option. One who has old convictions has a slim chance. Keep in mind that setting aside a conviction is a VERY EXPENSIVE process.