Missed pay for swiping in late - my fault or entitled to pay?

SunnyBro

(For context - part-time twilight shift loader)

Earlier this week on Wednesday I remember coming into work, start time at 5:30 pm. I go through security, get in the building, get my scanner and everything ready and wait by my trailer by 5:15 pm (super early I know). My area supervisor isn't showing up and nobody for our area has shown up to 'supervise' us by the time start time hits at 5:30. The supervisors need to sign in to the computers at our work area/PD to open the program where we swipe in. If the computer in our area is not logged in we usually go to the area across from us and swipe in there, in a different PD. By start time at 5:30, I had forgotten about swiping in since we still had no supervisor, which is my own fault for forgetting. Packages start coming down into my trailer, so I'm there loading. Flow is pretty slow so I'm still looking for any supervisors, none to be found. About 15 minutes later I remember that I never swiped in and go to swipe in at the other area since there was still no supervisor. They get there later and the day goes as normal, but I received fewer hours of pay and was considered 'late'. I know that I went through security long before 5:30 (around 5:10), as well as the supervisor from the area across from me visibly seeing me and saying "here early today!". I was working during the time I was loading however I had not swiped in, is this something I can report, grieve, or talk to management about or do I accept this as a loss from my own fault?

Nah

Earlier this week on Wednesday I remember coming into work, start time at 5:30 pm. I go through security, get in the building, get my scanner and everything ready and wait by my trailer by 5:15 pm (super early I know). My area supervisor isn't showing up and nobody for our area has shown up to 'supervise' us by the time start time hits at 5:30. The supervisors need to sign in to the computers at our work area/PD to open the program where we swipe in. If the computer in our area is not logged in we usually go to the area across from us and swipe in there, in a different PD. By start time at 5:30, I had forgotten about swiping in since we still had no supervisor, which is my own fault for forgetting. Packages start coming down into my trailer, so I'm there loading. Flow is pretty slow so I'm still looking for any supervisors, none to be found. About 15 minutes later I remember that I never swiped in and go to swipe in at the other area since there was still no supervisor. They get there later and the day goes as normal, but I received fewer hours of pay and was considered 'late'. I know that I went through security long before 5:30 (around 5:10), as well as the supervisor from the area across from me visibly seeing me and saying "here early today!". I was working during the time I was loading however I had not swiped in, is this something I can report, grieve, or talk to management about or do I accept this as a loss from my own fault?
Tell your supervisor about it. I'm sure they'll correct it. If not, talk to a steward. You were there, you were working, you should get paid.

rod

Retired 22 years
Chalk it up to a learning experience. You can get them back for your lost time at a later date ------if you know what I mean. .

542thruNthru

Inform you sup/manager of the situation. They should fix it. If they do not fix it. Then file a grievance. You reported to work on time and we ready to work. Your supervisor was not.

rod

Retired 22 years
This mentality is why PTers get paid so little these days.

When will you old people learn!!!!
I always found it easier if I had a minor pay issue to just take a longer break to make up for it. I would get what was coming to me one way or the other. It was easier than relying of some jerk-wad sup or center manager to get my payroll adjusted. Its too bad you guys are so strung up like puppets now days and can't get away with anything.

542thruNthru

I always found it easier if I had a minor pay issue to just take a longer break to make up for it. I would get what was coming to me one way or the other. It was easier than relying of some jerk-wad sup or center manager to get my payroll adjusted. Its too bad you guys are so strung up like puppets now days and can't get away with anything.
It's too bad someone that was a shop steward for a little bit didn't know how to file a grievance to get his pay corrected because he was scared of management. ;)

I can do this all day. :)

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
It so long to get your pay adjusted back then because everything was on stone. When I started they had already switched from stone to paper.

rod

Retired 22 years
It's too bad someone that was a shop steward for a little bit didn't know how to file a grievance to get his pay corrected because he was scared of management. ;)

I can do this all day. :)
From what I read on here grievances are stacked up ten foot high waiting to be dealt with----if ever. Sometimes a person has to take control of their own problems---. Slow down - make up for the time you were cheated out of-----easy-peasy.

542thruNthru

From what I read on here grievances are stacked up ten foot high waiting to be dealt with----if ever. Sometimes a person has to take control of their own problems---. Slow down - make up for the time you were cheated out of-----easy-peasy.
Well you're old so it's normal for you to believe everything you read on the internet. That's why you sent that Nigerian prince all that money. SMH

quad decade guy

So, when the sups got there, you didn't address this right then...there?

Waited till you got your paycheck a week later? To see?

Here let my ORS know then the payroll clerk....but then I can't do anything unless I'm punched in....

SunnyBro

So, when the sups got there, you didn't address this right then...there?

Waited till you got your paycheck a week later? To see?

Here let my ORS know then the payroll clerk....but then I can't do anything unless I'm punched in....
I didn't really care, it was 15 minutes. I wasn't concerned about being penalized for being late, but I'll take my $4 back now.

Cowboy Mac

Now that we have to go through 2 login screens on the DIAD, and the second one takes forever to load, sometimes I'll start getting my stuff together and put up in the truck while it loads. Then I forget about it until 5 minutes after PCM when I realize I never finished punching in.

It's an easy fix--Talk to your part time sup and let him know what happened. He will probably have you write down your correct time. But you want to fix it immediately because after a certain day, they will have to send in a payroll adjustment which can take a few days, if they even do it right.

There's nothing to grieve unless they refuse to fix your time.