Missed pay for swiping in late - my fault or entitled to pay?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
(For context - part-time twilight shift loader)

Earlier this week on Wednesday I remember coming into work, start time at 5:30 pm. I go through security, get in the building, get my scanner and everything ready and wait by my trailer by 5:15 pm (super early I know). My area supervisor isn't showing up and nobody for our area has shown up to 'supervise' us by the time start time hits at 5:30. The supervisors need to sign in to the computers at our work area/PD to open the program where we swipe in. If the computer in our area is not logged in we usually go to the area across from us and swipe in there, in a different PD. By start time at 5:30, I had forgotten about swiping in since we still had no supervisor, which is my own fault for forgetting. Packages start coming down into my trailer, so I'm there loading. Flow is pretty slow so I'm still looking for any supervisors, none to be found. About 15 minutes later I remember that I never swiped in and go to swipe in at the other area since there was still no supervisor. They get there later and the day goes as normal, but I received fewer hours of pay and was considered 'late'. I know that I went through security long before 5:30 (around 5:10), as well as the supervisor from the area across from me visibly seeing me and saying "here early today!". I was working during the time I was loading however I had not swiped in, is this something I can report, grieve, or talk to management about or do I accept this as a loss from my own fault?
If it’s your habit of being early then no problem, everyone knows you were there and it should be fixed.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Be careful about setting yourself up in situations where you report an earlier time but otherwise we've always got time corrected for showing up on time with faulty/not enough timekeeping equipment like punch-in computers and available diads. It's designed to be genuinely annoying for timecard adjustments especially after they've gutted HR.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Chalk it up to a learning experience. You can get them back for your lost time at a later date ------if you know what I mean. .
I always found it easier if I had a minor pay issue to just take a longer break to make up for it. I would get what was coming to me one way or the other. It was easier than relying of some jerk-wad sup or center manager to get my payroll adjusted. Its too bad you guys are so strung up like puppets now days and can't get away with anything.
Why not do both, make that "jerk-wad" supervisor fix it, then take some extra time as interest on the transaction?

I would think someone so close to the finish line like yourself would realize by now that time is our most precious commodity and is not be traded away in such an ad-hoc and cavalier manner.

rod

Retired 22 years
Why not do both, make that "jerk-wad" supervisor fix it, then take some extra time as interest on the transaction?

I would think someone so close to the finish line like yourself would realize by now that time is our most precious commodity and is not be traded away in such an ad-hoc and cavalier manner.
What do you mean? "close to the finish" ?

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
By the way--How would you know what goes on at UPS anyway--you never go to work.
burn-kelso.gif

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
(For context - part-time twilight shift loader)

Earlier this week on Wednesday I remember coming into work, start time at 5:30 pm. I go through security, get in the building, get my scanner and everything ready and wait by my trailer by 5:15 pm (super early I know). My area supervisor isn't showing up and nobody for our area has shown up to 'supervise' us by the time start time hits at 5:30. The supervisors need to sign in to the computers at our work area/PD to open the program where we swipe in. If the computer in our area is not logged in we usually go to the area across from us and swipe in there, in a different PD. By start time at 5:30, I had forgotten about swiping in since we still had no supervisor, which is my own fault for forgetting. Packages start coming down into my trailer, so I'm there loading. Flow is pretty slow so I'm still looking for any supervisors, none to be found. About 15 minutes later I remember that I never swiped in and go to swipe in at the other area since there was still no supervisor. They get there later and the day goes as normal, but I received fewer hours of pay and was considered 'late'. I know that I went through security long before 5:30 (around 5:10), as well as the supervisor from the area across from me visibly seeing me and saying "here early today!". I was working during the time I was loading however I had not swiped in, is this something I can report, grieve, or talk to management about or do I accept this as a loss from my own fault?
Man...

Those are sweet work hours.